“The Noisest stay ever”

GreenLeadersSilver level
“The Noisest stay ever”
Reviewed 15 December 2008

1. Bring your own copy of reseration
For the past two tims when I purchased the reservation through Expedia w/ the package of free breakfast & free parking, JW Marriot always denied the offer first until I showed them otherwise. It's annoying to argue w/ them not only b/c taking time but also made the guest llooked like a fool. So, bring your evidence w/ you to claim your right.

2. Normally I have had good exp. w/ JW; however, the last trip was an awful one. I had the CFP exam scheduled on Fri. & Sat., so naturally I asked for a quiet room. The front desk assigned me a corner room but I can hear almost every conversation & laughter the next door. In addition, people (staffs & guests) slamed their doors even at midnight. On Th. night, the alarm went off first in the hallway then in my room around 2:30 am. You can guess how I slept for the rest of the evening befor my exam the next day.

3. Amenities
The light in the bath room was so dark, and it made me always second-guess my makeup. Did I apply too much, or did I look like a clown? In addition, I had to hold my hands at least 10 sec. to save handful water to wash my face. So, if you have backpain after staying there, you would know why. Not only the water volume small, but it took time and patience to adjust the hot & cold water to lukewarm. I either got burnt or too cold like icy water.

Overall, I was extremely disappointed the last stay. I sincerely hope JW can improve their service to its guests so that I can return again someday.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Outdated TV
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Harrison , Arkansas
Reviewed 12 November 2008

Not a better location for Lenox Square shopping since it is connected by a walkway. Rooms were upscale ,clean and on par for a 4-star hotel.

1 minute walk to MARTA with good access to arts center and downtown.

Only downside was water flow restrictors allowed limited water and difficult temperature control of the water.

A good way to save is to take the MARTA from the airport directly to the J.W. Marriott. $ 1.75 each and not much longer than a cab ride ($60) in traffic.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Water flow restrictors, cab fare from airport
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank chloe71
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2008

Pretty nice all round but nothing really special. I got a concierge floor room which was spacious and comfortable--if a little drab. The rate I was paying wasn't cheap so I was pleased to find I had access to the concierge lounge. This was nice and the facilities were good . On the negative side the lounge staff seemed rather indiferent and not terribly professional--eating on duty and chatting with each other. And the honor bar system was policed unduly zealously. I took a ginger ale (which was free) and was quickly approached by one of the staff who asked me if I'd signed fior it. She thought I'd pored myself a Scoth I guess. When she realised her error, there was no apology--just an "ok fine".
One member of staff who was a credit to the company was the courtesy van driver. Really nice and went out of his way to give me tour of the Buckhead area

• Liked — the size of the rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Vanguard12
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 19 October 2008

As stated in the other reviews, this is a very nice hotel. I used my rewards points, so it was free for me. The hotel is in a great location in Buckhead, convenient to shopping, night life, and great restaurants. The best things about the place are the locationa and the luxury bathrooms. Otherwise the rooms themselves are average for any Marriott.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jizdiz84
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 October 2008

I enjoyed greatly my two night stay at this hotel. The hotel exudes a feeling of calmness and simple luxury. Check in took but a few minutes and my King room was comfortable and spacious. The bathroom was attractive and had every necessary amenity, although perhaps not as luxurious as the room itself. The location in Buckhead was fantastic, attached to Lenox Mall and across from the MARTA. The concierge and other staff were uniformly helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. Housekeeping was unobtrusive and did a great job. Overall the staff, to me, was the sign of a well managed hotel. Room service, available 24 hours, was efficient and tasty. I did not use the pool or fitness facilities. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2008
2 Thank pkcasa
Santa Clarita
Reviewed 19 September 2008

As far as I am concerned, the JW label brings with it certain expectations for a level of service, and this hotel did not meet that level. The problems began as early as check-in. So let's start with the problems:

1) At check-in, there was a group of three in front of me, together but staying separately and they all wanted rooms with king beds next to each other. There were also 3 front desk clerks on duty and it took all three of them a good 10 minutes to help the one group. I found that unacceptable.

2) I had a box of materials shipped to the hotel for a business conference and was told at check-in that they had not arrived. I asked the clerk if she could double-check for me, but she replied that if they had been received a message would have been posted on my account, and there was no message. Well, the next morning I spoke to my secretary who confirmed that the box had been received and signed for by the hotel. So the hotel did have the materials delivered to my conference, but an hour after the conference had begun. Had the front desk clerk simply checked for me the night before, problem avoided.

3) The concierge, Bruce, not friendly. I had originally booked transportation from the airport to the hotel via Bruce. However, a colleague of mine later decided to rent a car and offered me a ride. So I had e-mailed the concierge to cancel the car service. To my surprise, a driver with a sign indicating my name was waiting for me at the airport. I got into a heated argument with the limousine company, declined the ride, but was informed I would be charged. When I arrived at the hotel, I left a note to speak to Bruce about the situation. He interrupted me not once, not twice, but three times while I was having dinner in the lobby bar with colleagues. It was not so pressing that my dinner needed interruption. He claimed to never have received the e-mail, but he did get the charge reverse; however, would not even make eye contact, let alone speak with me the remainder of my stay.

4) Noise levels. The doors slam way TOO LOUD. People running up and down the halls late into the night. I guess for a JW where the rates are under $200 a night, you get people who normally don't stay at a high-end hotel.

5) I'd expect flat screen television's at a JW, but the televisions were old, small and in a dated aromoire.

The Good:

1) As an elite Marriot member, I was upgraded to a deluxe corner room, and the room was large and very nice. The bathroom had a separate shower and tub.

2) Housekeeping was great. Evening turndown service was done promptly each night.

3) Lobby bar had good food, good service and reasonably priced.

4) Location: Connected to the Lenox Square Mall and across the street from a MARTA stop.

Overall:
If you're looking for a true high-end hotel, I'd go with the Intercontinental Buckhead (which is where my conference was). If budget is an issue, then this is a good deal for a JW property, but then again, the service is not up to JW standards. Would I stay here again, no. I'd go with a different Atlanta Marriot property.

• Liked — Location, lobby bar
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank FightOn
Cartersville, Georgia
Reviewed 7 August 2008

I stayed at JW Marriott Buckhead to attend a Sandals workshop at 7:30 the next morning. Had a room on 19th floor looking south to downtown. The elevators are Fast! Who knew there were so many trees to be seen? Room was great but the beds and pillows wonderful! No one mentions the pool in previous reviews but it is a real treasure. We were the only people in the pool, which is very large and just the right temperature. After laps or just floating there is a big jacuzzi up about 4 steps. Had that all to ourselves as well. Stopped at Lobby Bar for happy hour and the house chardonnay is terrific; 14 Hands - a Washington State wine that I wish I could find to buy. Houstons restuarant is just across the street.
All in all a wonderful "mini-vacation".

• Liked — beds & pillows and the pool
  • Disliked — do not have The Tennis Channel on TV
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business