“What's to complain about?”

JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead
Ranked #28 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 May 2009

I spent 2 nights at the JW Marriott Buckhead and was very pleased. I received a very reasonable corporate rate. The king room was spacious. The bed was wonderful. The room was very clean and I loved having a separate tub/shower in the bathroom. I would agree with the previous reviewer that the lighting was a little darker that I would have liked in the bathroom, but not enough to complain about. The concierge lounge was well-stocked with juices, soft drinks, and water, and the appetizers available in the evening would certainly have been enough for a light dinner if I had so desired. The breakfast choices in the concierge were great; eggs, sausage, bagels and pastries, lots of fruit, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal... Cookie takes care of the lounge in the afternoon and evening and was very pleasant. The fitness center is large with a lot of choices for both cardio and strength training. My husband enjoyed the pool while I was out working during the day. I ordered room service one evening; nothing to write home about but it was OK. Overall a very nice stay and I will be returning frequently to this hotel for my business trips to Atlanta.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,111)

Reviewed 18 March 2009

I stayed in this hotel for four days in March, although a business trip I had to stay in Atlanta over the weekend. The Marriott worked out really well. They had a $169 offer which included bed and breakfast for two people which I thought was a really good deal. There is a door from the hotel which leads you into Lenox Square Mall which is really big. Staff were very helpful, particularly when I needed a laptop cable as I had brought the wrong one. The breakfast was very extensive and included hot and cold options in a large buffet. While the hotel was very clean the interior was ever so slightly dated, but still quite acceptable. There was a very convenient cafe on the ground floor which was handy for drink/snacks on the run, especially as I did not have a car.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 March 2009

I’ve stayed at this property twice in 2008. I was disappointed on both occasions and surprised that Bill Marriott allows this hotel to use the JW Marriott moniker. It is an uninspired business hotel. Common areas and hotel rooms are worn and dated and are in need of remodeling. Beds were good, bathroom showed signs of mildew in the shower. Tube TV and coffee maker in rooms.

The best thing this hotel has going for it is the location: within walking distance to restaurants and shopping as well as the near a subway stop.

Things to note: It’s okay to stay here if you get a good room rate, but if they are asking more than $125, look somewhere else.

I’ll stay somewhere else next time. ttz

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 February 2009

I recently stayed at the JW Buckhead for a conference/training session and had a great stay. Not sure what's with all the negative reviews as it wasn't my experience at all. Staff was extremely friendly, courteous, and helpful throughout our weeklong stay and made sure all our training needs and accomodations were met from check-in thru check-out.

I left my cell phone charger in my room after checking out. The hotel recovered my charger and even fed-exed it back to me.

It's in a decent location with a shopping mall adjoining and plenty of restaurants in walking distance or a short cab ride away.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2009

This hotel does not live up to the JW Marriott standards. It should be classed less than a Courtyard. The rooms were outdated and smelled musty and old. The 'At Your Service' buttons on the phone didn't work. The shower tiles were broken and there was a hole the size of a 1/2 dollar around the shower handle fixture. You could hear every sound from the hallway and surrounding rooms (listened to the maid knock and announce turndown service to every room on the floor), etc.

I am not a hotel snob, but I expect my room to be clean and somewhat aesthetically pleasing for the rate that you pay in this area. We checked out of the JW after the first night and went across the street to the Ritz Carlton (for the SAME price).

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone, but the RC was fantastic!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 December 2008

1. Bring your own copy of reseration
For the past two tims when I purchased the reservation through Expedia w/ the package of free breakfast & free parking, JW Marriot always denied the offer first until I showed them otherwise. It's annoying to argue w/ them not only b/c taking time but also made the guest llooked like a fool. So, bring your evidence w/ you to claim your right.

2. Normally I have had good exp. w/ JW; however, the last trip was an awful one. I had the CFP exam scheduled on Fri. & Sat., so naturally I asked for a quiet room. The front desk assigned me a corner room but I can hear almost every conversation & laughter the next door. In addition, people (staffs & guests) slamed their doors even at midnight. On Th. night, the alarm went off first in the hallway then in my room around 2:30 am. You can guess how I slept for the rest of the evening befor my exam the next day.

3. Amenities
The light in the bath room was so dark, and it made me always second-guess my makeup. Did I apply too much, or did I look like a clown? In addition, I had to hold my hands at least 10 sec. to save handful water to wash my face. So, if you have backpain after staying there, you would know why. Not only the water volume small, but it took time and patience to adjust the hot & cold water to lukewarm. I either got burnt or too cold like icy water.

Overall, I was extremely disappointed the last stay. I sincerely hope JW can improve their service to its guests so that I can return again someday.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 November 2008

Not a better location for Lenox Square shopping since it is connected by a walkway. Rooms were upscale ,clean and on par for a 4-star hotel.

1 minute walk to MARTA with good access to arts center and downtown.

Only downside was water flow restrictors allowed limited water and difficult temperature control of the water.

A good way to save is to take the MARTA from the airport directly to the J.W. Marriott. $ 1.75 each and not much longer than a cab ride ($60) in traffic.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business