“Change the Flag; it's not a JW.”

JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead
Ranked #33 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
atlanta
“Change the Flag; it's not a JW.”
Reviewed 11 November 2009

We stayed here, recently, while a family member recouperated from surgery. While our reservation online had said we were being upgraded to the Presidential Suite, upon checkin, we found this had been changed. The suite we were assigned would have been ok, except the carpet was still wet from the "flooding" Atlanta had had back in September. The flashing on the terrace had disintegrated. The baseboard inside was rotted, and the room smelled of must. There had to have been mold.

We did not change rooms, because the idea was REST and recovery. We needed the extra space to allow for this. While we were there, it rained, and the hallway to the sitting room was soaked.

This hotel doesn't even have LCD TV's, which, I thought, was a requirement of all upper Marriotts at least a year ago.

In addition, there was a 1.5' diameter stain on the ceiling that hadn't been painted over in forever, and we found out from speaking to various staff members that the 3rd floor rooms were so wet that actual mushrooms had grown in the carpeting.

Among other things, the vanity mirror in the bathroom was falling out of the wall and the towel rack was not attached properly.

I think the hotel claims to have renovated in the last couple of years. New carpet and cheesy new hardware on the old armoirs does not make a renovation.

Marriotts are required to set aside a certain percentage of gross revenue each year for renovations. This one must have a huge fund, by now!

Finally, the food in the concierge lounge used to be great. Now it is well below average. And, last, but not least, the front desk staffer that checked us in was grumpy and did not even welcome us with any semblance of hospitality.

We were truly disappointed. (we had recently stayed at the Seoul, Korea JW and had the exact opposite experience.)

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 16 September 2009

My sister and I stayed at the JW Marriott in Buckhead on September 12 and 13, 2009. We received outstanding service from all staff members including the front desk personnel, the bell men, the concierge and waiters in the dining room. A few small problems with the room were immediately corrected (the drapery wouldn't open and the phone between the beds wasn't working). A request for additional towels and another bathrobe was met very quickly. The location is across the street from the MARTA station. We were able to leave our car in valet parking and used the MARTA for our transportation. The hotel also has a shuttle service which will take guests anywhere within a 2-mail radius. We enjoyed this service each night for transportation to dinner. I can't say enough about the service we received, especially from the concierge; all staff members were very eager to meet our requests. I would eagerly recommend this hotel to friends and will plan to stay here in the future.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank traveler1018_8
Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 September 2009

My husband, 11 month old and I stayed at the JW Marriot in Buckhead this past weekend only because it accepted our bid on Priceline ($95). We were very pleased and surprised with the quality of the hotel and its service. Upon our arrival the staff was there to help us with everything we needed and were quick to learn our names.

Our room was not anything spectacular, however, it was VERY clean and the furnishings were in excellent condition. I am very particular about cleanliness of hotels and this one truly passed the test.

The hotel is in a great location for shoppers as it connects to the mall, however, it is a slight walk to the other hotels in Buckhead. We did the walk with no problems, though.

I highly recommend this hotel, it was especially family-friendly and the concierge was very happy to lead us to great restaurants that would welcome our son, but not to lose the quality of food. A great experience!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Ashley520
North Carolina
Reviewed 11 September 2009

We had a Great Time at the JW MARRIOTT !!!
The Staff is Very Friendly, and Helpful !!!
Great Amenities!! Great Location!! Great Food!! Great Prices!!
Very Clean!!
Will Definately be coming back !!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed 19 July 2009

We stayed at this hotel while attending the Gift Mart in Atlanta. The front desk staff was very friendly, our corner room was very spacious AND clean, the bathroom was huge with a separate bath tub and shower stall, and the shuttle for the mart stopped in front of this hotel. We were very pleased with our stay here except for the fact that we were told that all three members of our party got free breakfast in the restaurant every morning of our stay (we signed up for the breakfast package). Upon reviewing my bill before check-out, they had charged me for part of the first morning's breakfast and all of the second morning's. I phoned the front desk, spoke to a manager and was told that breakfast was only for TWO people in the party. She adjusted the second day's bill, but I told her that she needs to make sure her front desk staff is aware of that rule because I asked specifically if it included all THREE of us and was told "yes". Beware of the breakfast package, but all other things considered (with the most important being the cleanliness of the entire property), we will definitely return for a stay here when our travels return us to the Atlanta area!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Georgia
Reviewed 18 July 2009

We reserved the JW Marriott b/c we were told my the receptionist/reservation staff that we would be able to see the Lenox fireworks from our room! Sounded great! We had small children and the fireworks hurt their ears. Got to JW after check-in time. Room not available, waited an hour and finally asked for a different room with same view. that is when we were told no room at JW could see the Lenox fireworks. Tried to take the kids to the indoor pools but it was so hot and packed!!! Paid $20 to park in hotel parking lot, when we found out we could have parked at Lenox mall for 1/2 the price JW charged. Internet cost around $10 for 24 hours. Room was ok, nothing great.
Right before fireworks started we walked to a near by parking deck and sat on a blanket! Fireworks were AMAZING! if you are even in ATL on the 4th they are a must see!
FYI- We have stayed at the Ritz-Carlton buckhead on the 4th of July in a room that has a wonderful view of the fireworks. (just equest an end room with lenox view) Next year (and from then on) we will spend the extra $40 or so dollars to stay at the Ritz Carlton. Rooms at Ritz are larger, nicer and the view is amazing!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank GAgymmom
Chi-Town
Reviewed 16 July 2009

My stay included four days over the July 4th holiday and I was very pleased with the JW. I must admit the Price was Right since I used Reward points. The room was excellent and the staff very friendly. The self-parking was $20/day but I accepted this as a convenience item and a car safety benefit.

The room (on 20th floor) was spacious, well-appointed and had a large, wonderful marble bathroom. My only comment would be the standard TV (but, who cares). There was the standard internet access charge (but, I carry my own "air-card"). Also, I had a great view overlooking Buckhead. Given the location, I was able to easily walk to Lenox Mall and all the Buckhead attractions/nightlife.

Also, I thought the hotel was quite safe and secure. The whole environment is definitely up-scale. However, I easily found the very affordable neighborhood restaurants and “hot spots” within walking distance.

Problem now is that I need to quickly earn more Reward points, so I can head back to the JW and Buckhead!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo