“Business meets pleasure”

Ranked #45 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Texas
“Business meets pleasure”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed at the Westin for three nights with my husband and children (family of four). I was in Atlanta for a meeting being held at the hotel, and we extended our stay to have a mini family vacation.

The proximity to family-oriented attractions (Centennial Park, the Georgia Aquarium, etc.), a nice variety of dining options, and easy access to public transportation make the location just about ideal. We took a walk through Centennial Park one evening around sunset and found it very easy to get to and from the hotel. The following morning, we walked to the aquarium and arrived sooner than we expected. And on the subject of location, you can get a spectacular view of the downtown area by visiting the top floor observation area, which is divided into little "pods" with telescopes and touch-screen panels that provide information about some of the other downtown buildings.

The hotel itself has full service restaurants, a bar, and a Starbucks, so most food and drink needs can be met on site. We ordered room service twice and got a very good, appropriately cooked (i.e., not overcooked) burger and a decent quality, slightly overcooked steak. Wait times in both cases were less than ideal. One of our orders took 1 hour and 40 minutes to arrive, due to what was described as a "glitch."

We arrived to a room that had been given a cursory cleaning. For instance, we found multiple long hairs from the previous occupant on the carpet and in the bathroom (granted, traveling with a crawling infant brings the housekeeping quality into sharper relief). We don't require the white glove treatment so it wasn't a huge deal, but suffice it to say I've been in cleaner hotel rooms.

Our room was on the small side, though given the circular floor plan for the hotel I was pleased at how the design of the room downplayed the fact that we weren't in a normal rectangularly shaped area. Floor-to-ceiling windows also help the small footprint of the room feel more expansive. Despite limited drawer and closet space we felt there was adequate storage for our family's needs. We did require a refrigerator and this had to be requested for a one-time fee of $15.

When we arrived we needed to just crash and decompress, so we ordered a movie and found that the streaming quality was inconsistent throughout the movie. Attempts to resolve this issue went as far as replacing the television in the room, but it still only partially resolved the problem. Perhaps it's a bandwidth issue.

The four of us all slept very well. The lights of downtown Atlanta are bright but are no match for the blackout curtains. And the beds are... well, they're Westin beds. They're awesome. They don't call it a "Heavenly Bed" for nothing. Climate control was highly functional if a little weird (because the temperatures displayed on the thermostat were surely 5 degrees higher than the actual temperature in the room).

On the business side of things, I found the meeting facilities to be very comfortable, and the catering was excellent! There could have been more places to plug in a laptop charger, however.

Overall, my family and I felt able to relax and enjoy ourselves in this huge, well situated hotel. I would be happy to stay here again if business brought me back to downtown Atlanta.

Room Tip: Go for the high floor - it matters here!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ambr2007
GMWestinPeach, General Manager at The Westin Peachtree Plaza, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Good Afternoon 'ambr2007',

First, let me apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay with us, including your guestroom not being cleaned properly upon check-in and the delay in receiving your In-Room Dining order. However, I am happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed our convenient location and great views. Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. It is feedback like this that we take the opportunity to learn from and use to improve. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Regards,

The Westin Peachtree Plaza

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed at the Westin for business over 3 days in June. It is centrally located and close to all the Downtown attractions. The rooms are spacious with nice views, the bed is indeed heavenly and the room was well decked out for the needs of the business traveller with excellent internet connections. No ipod doc however, no tea making facilities (coffee only). There were few things that were a bit poor for a hotel of this standard. I requested a bathrobe and it took 4 hours for it to be delivered – by then I was asleep with the do not disturb sign on my door (forget the robe, I need to sleep) but at 1030 at night, an industrious valet kept knocking on my door until the robe was delivered. Outside the ice dispenser near my room the staff collected all the room service used trays into a nice pile of trash which just sat there, for hours, the most unsightly look which I was itching to clear up myself. The concierge looked most uninterested when I asked for some directions and gave me a map which needed a magnifying glass to read (I am not that old and that vision impaired but found it a bit challenging). I was asked at checking whether I wanted my room services or receive loyalty points instead. I accepted the points but had my room serviced anyway (no points). After some research I learned I had to hang a notice on my door – why asked at checking in then and disregard it?
So, OK and nice room but service? Needs improvement.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GMWestinPeach, General Manager at The Westin Peachtree Plaza, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Good Afternoon 'TieTraveller',

I'm disappointed to hear that the level of service you received did not exceed your expectations and I do apologize for that. Please know that we do strive to provide prompt and attentive service to all of our guests and I apologize that you did not experience that during your stay. Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We truly value your feedback and hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the near future.

Drakes Branch
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Westin Peachtree is located in Downtown Atlanta, with all the hustle and bustle of a large city surrounding. When you walk into the hotel you are overwhelmed by its size. Had to wait in a rather long line to check in on a Tuesday evening at 4:00 PM, with a wide range of fellow travelers. Mostly business people, and people here for conventions/meetings. There was a large international group which provided some challenges to the Westin staff from what I witnessed, but the staff appeared to be doing everything they could to make these guests feel welcome and comfortable. The elevators are slow, but with over 70 floors I guess that would be expected. When leaving your room to be at a meeting, or me from meals, you have to calculate in wait time, of about ten minutes, for the elevator to ensure you are on time. The lobby area is clean, with a bar, plenty of seating, private and for groups, Cafe is their breakfast restaurant, and the service is friendly, the coffee hot and strong and provides an array of breakfast items. The Starbuck Coffee Bar is situated under the glass sky-lit atrium and is clean and relaxing. The room and bathroom are smaller than expected, but clean and well stocked. The room had a wonderful panoramic view of the city through the floor to ceiling, wall to wall window.

Green Features: I appreciated the Westin "Make A Green Choice" practice.
Hello 'BurkeVirginia',

I apologize for the delay in service that you experienced during check-in and with elevator service, so thank you for your patience. However, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience at The Cafe, your guestroom and great views. Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Being tourists at home led us to the Westin Peachtree. What a great staycation! Astonishing views, great location for city attractions, and friendly staff made for a wonderful stay. The room was spacious and spotless. Viewing the city from our darkened room was a wonderful way to end the evening. A pleasant night’s sleep in the Heavenly bed was followed by a Heavenly morning shower. We ordered room service and were quite pleased with the food and service.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Greetings 'SunGoddess96212',

First, let me thank you for choosing to stay with us during your "staycation" and taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. It's always great to hear such positive feedback from our guests from near and far. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed our great views, Heavenly amenities, and convenient location. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed with my family of 5 in this hotel for 3 nights. The hotel's location in the heart of Downtown Atlanta is a towering 73 floor beauty. The panoramic views from the 73rd floor observation deck cannot be beat. In addition the rooms have floor to ceiling windows on one wall and afford more stellar views.

The room was very clean, and the beds were very comfortable. There was limited noise from other guests which was limited to activity in the hallway outside. If you are concerned I would request a room opposite end of the floor than the elevators to limit the traffic outside your room door.

The valet parking was a bit pricy but their service was great. We were constantly coming and going with our vehicle and never waited more thant 3-4 minutes despite not calling down beforehand and it being very busy on the weekend.

The porters were also very quick and friendly and were up in our room within 5 minutes of calling for checkout.

My only negative on this property involved the elevators. The doors open and close very quickly. I actually was banged in the shoulder by the closing doors one time and another time we had two strollers and just as my husband got out with the first stroller the doors closed before I could exit and I had to ride the elevator to another floor and go back to mine again. I have neve experienced elevators like that before.

Room Tip: If you want a quite room get one that is completely opposite of the elevators. The floor is a circl...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Good Afternoon 'Jennk1975',

I'm so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us, including our great views and the prompt service you received in Valet. Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor and we look forward to providing another great experience for you and your family in the near future.

North Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was not nearly as impressed with this hotel as I had hoped. This trip was for my anniversary. My first mistake was booking though another site instead of the hotel. We had no idea that parking was not included, so we ended up paying 32 dollars a night for parking, which takes the deal you received to a whole new level. Also NOTHING was free, WIFI or Breakfast. I was so disappointed. There were people hanging out in the hallway late at night, you could hear it all. However on a postive note, the view was wonderful. The hotel staff was pleasnt enough, not overly friendly.Just not what I expected from a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: The view up high is wonderful at night with the lights.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Good Afternoon 'Stacy L',

I'm disappointed to hear that we did not exceed your expectations during your recent stay with us. In addition, I apologize for the excessive noise and any other inconvenience you may experienced during your stay. Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor and I do hope you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations on your next visit.

Hinesville, Georgia
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Despite some of the other reviews, we had a great stay. From the moment we parked, to check in, we had great customer service. The front desk staff was very helpful and went above and beyond to meet our needs. The location was great as well. Across the street is the Hard Rock Café and Hooters. Other restaurants were within walking distance. Also not far from the Fox Theatre. Peachtree plaza Center was a couple of blocks away with less expensive eateries like Subway. The room itself was spacious and clean. I didn't have the need to call housekeeping so I can't vouch for their responsiveness. Parking was pricey, $22 for self parking every time you exited the garage if parked over 3 hours. Valet parking would be the way to go at $32 and not have to worry about the repeated charge. The Café served a nice buffet breakfast and there was a Starbucks in the lobby. Then there is the Sundial Restaurant, 72 floors up that spins with a great view of Atlanta. Would def return again.

Room Tip: Higher floor, facing Centennial Park
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor, 'Christie31313'. We truly enjoy hearing about our guests and their experiences. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed our friendly associates and convenient location. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.