“Tired Lobby”

Ranked #46 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Memphis, Tennessee
“Tired Lobby”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

While the lobby is getting an upgrade it is about 8 years too late. The views from the rooms (and the rooms themselves) are nice but first impressions are of the lobby which was great in 1998 - maybe even 2003. Layout of the lobby is a little odd but nice having a SBUX.

Room Tip: If you can handle the air pressure get a room higher up for better views.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Myesha C, General Manager at The Westin Peachtree Plaza, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Good Afternoon 'Paul L',

Thank you for posting your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor. I am disappointed to hear that you thought our lobby looked "tired" as we thoughtfully redesigned our lobby during our recent renovation to have more comfortable seating areas for our guests to casually gather or have impromptu meetings. However, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our great views and the Starbucks Coffee Bar. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we do hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

The Westin Peachtree Plaza

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed with our twin 7 month old boys and were concerned the rooms might be too small. Grated they are small, we had room for our two pack n plays, collapsible stroller, two large suitcases, and other various baby stuff and did not feel cramped.

The staff was very friendly and attentive all the way down to the valet staff. The rooms were very clean, we even returned one day to find our bowl and spoons we used for baby food that morning washed and laying to dry on a towel.

The reason we stayed here was the view and the location and of course neither of those disappointed!

Another plus is the pool area was great as well as being a salt water pool. This was awesome because I would not have let our babies play in the pool if it wreaked of chlorine as some hotel pools often do.

The hotel and parking are a bit on the high side but you are paying for a premium hotel, location, and view. It was worth it to us.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
toronto
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband got stuck for 90 mins in an crowded, stuffy elevator at The Atlanta Peachtree Westin with 26 other people in June 2014. All the trapped guests had to climb out the top of the elevator into the shaft to get out, some in bare feet.

The elevator was overloaded with too many guests and the Westin PeachTree elevators are not equipped with common elevator devices that don't allow overloaded elevators to close or move.

Dealing with staff during the ordeal and later following up with hotel management has been an extremely disappointing experience. They have been more interested in blaming guests and showed very little concern in trying to prevent this from happening again. Management is content that elevators meet state minimum laws but are not striving for anything higher. All in all this hotel did not meet the service or safety standards I would expect of a Westin or Starwood brand especially a property servicing thousands at a time on a 70+ storey property.

You would think that once a hotel becomes aware of something threatening the safety of guests on their property, that they would at least consider putting up signs outside elevators alerting of possible overloading or invest in the device that prevents people from having to experience such an ordeal. I sincerely hope this doesn't happen again at this property with people with medical or mobility issues.

If management and staff had dealt with this better I would not be writing this.

7 Thank lilyTO w
GMWestinPeach, General Manager at The Westin Peachtree Plaza, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Good Afternoon 'lilyTO w',

Good Afternoon 'lilytow',

As several other members of our hotel leadership team and I have communicated to you previously, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience your husband experienced during his stay. Being stuck in an elevator for an extended period, let alone a short period of time, is unpleasant and this was an unfortunate, isolated incident.

Please know that the well-being and safety of all of our guests is very important to us and all of our elevators are inspected and approved by the State of Georgia. In addition, we have a full-time elevator technician on property five days a week servicing all of our elevators and maintaining them to the highest standard. We do have signs clearly posted in all of our elevators noting the weight limitation of 3,500 lbs. and this incident occurred due to the number of occupants exceeding it.

Members of our leadership team have personally apologized to your husband and offered compensation for the inconvenience, which he graciously accepted, but I do apologize if this compensation was unsatisfactory to you.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor.

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I spent two nights here, as a part of a business trip. Thanks to my spg status, I was upgraded and received a suite on 68th floor, without extra fee. Living room, meeting room, bedroom, 2 bathrooms, tea kitchen... All this combined with the amazing view, honestly it was amazing.
It's location could not be better, dozens of restaurants and bars around in walking distance.
If you have chance, try the bar on the 72nd floor, you'll be surprised :)
The only thing, what made me a bit disappointed, is the breakfast - in other Westin's it's much much better.
Besides, if I'll stay in Atlanta again, I'll definitely choose this place.

Green Features: Love the new policy of "Green choice" - I'm always using it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Biguss
Good Afternoon 'Biguss',

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We truly value your feedback. I'm so delighted to hear that we were able to recognize your SPG status and give you a complimentary upgrade and that you enjoyed our great views and convenient location. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Attended a conference at this hotel and stayed two nights. The front desk staff was incredibly helpful in enabling me to check into a room when I arrived early, despite the hotel being fully booked the evening before. The concierge was terrific as well. The room was very comfortable with a spacious desk/work area, and had a nice view of downtown. Hotel is located half a block from the MARTA, which is an inexpensive and easy way to get to and from the airport. The location in general is excellent, as it is within easy walking distance to many downtown sights (some are easier walking distance than others). I was a bit underwhelmed by the quality of the food from room service, however. The restaurant options within walking distance of the hotel are plentiful but also underwhelming, although this is not the fault of the hotel. Overall, this hotel is a good choice at a good price point for downtown Atlanta.

Green Features: The hotel offers a $5 food/beverage voucher or Starwood points if you forego the towel and sheet changes on a multi-night stay, which is a nice incentive.
Hello 'traveling2008',

I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed our friendly associates, convenient location, and your comfortable guestroom during your recent stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to post your much appreciated feedback on TripAdvisor and for choosing to stay with us.

Best Regards,

Texas
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed at the Westin for three nights with my husband and children (family of four). I was in Atlanta for a meeting being held at the hotel, and we extended our stay to have a mini family vacation.

The proximity to family-oriented attractions (Centennial Park, the Georgia Aquarium, etc.), a nice variety of dining options, and easy access to public transportation make the location just about ideal. We took a walk through Centennial Park one evening around sunset and found it very easy to get to and from the hotel. The following morning, we walked to the aquarium and arrived sooner than we expected. And on the subject of location, you can get a spectacular view of the downtown area by visiting the top floor observation area, which is divided into little "pods" with telescopes and touch-screen panels that provide information about some of the other downtown buildings.

The hotel itself has full service restaurants, a bar, and a Starbucks, so most food and drink needs can be met on site. We ordered room service twice and got a very good, appropriately cooked (i.e., not overcooked) burger and a decent quality, slightly overcooked steak. Wait times in both cases were less than ideal. One of our orders took 1 hour and 40 minutes to arrive, due to what was described as a "glitch."

We arrived to a room that had been given a cursory cleaning. For instance, we found multiple long hairs from the previous occupant on the carpet and in the bathroom (granted, traveling with a crawling infant brings the housekeeping quality into sharper relief). We don't require the white glove treatment so it wasn't a huge deal, but suffice it to say I've been in cleaner hotel rooms.

Our room was on the small side, though given the circular floor plan for the hotel I was pleased at how the design of the room downplayed the fact that we weren't in a normal rectangularly shaped area. Floor-to-ceiling windows also help the small footprint of the room feel more expansive. Despite limited drawer and closet space we felt there was adequate storage for our family's needs. We did require a refrigerator and this had to be requested for a one-time fee of $15.

When we arrived we needed to just crash and decompress, so we ordered a movie and found that the streaming quality was inconsistent throughout the movie. Attempts to resolve this issue went as far as replacing the television in the room, but it still only partially resolved the problem. Perhaps it's a bandwidth issue.

The four of us all slept very well. The lights of downtown Atlanta are bright but are no match for the blackout curtains. And the beds are... well, they're Westin beds. They're awesome. They don't call it a "Heavenly Bed" for nothing. Climate control was highly functional if a little weird (because the temperatures displayed on the thermostat were surely 5 degrees higher than the actual temperature in the room).

On the business side of things, I found the meeting facilities to be very comfortable, and the catering was excellent! There could have been more places to plug in a laptop charger, however.

Overall, my family and I felt able to relax and enjoy ourselves in this huge, well situated hotel. I would be happy to stay here again if business brought me back to downtown Atlanta.

Room Tip: Go for the high floor - it matters here!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ambr2007
Good Afternoon 'ambr2007',

First, let me apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay with us, including your guestroom not being cleaned properly upon check-in and the delay in receiving your In-Room Dining order. However, I am happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed our convenient location and great views. Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. It is feedback like this that we take the opportunity to learn from and use to improve. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Regards,

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed at the Westin for business over 3 days in June. It is centrally located and close to all the Downtown attractions. The rooms are spacious with nice views, the bed is indeed heavenly and the room was well decked out for the needs of the business traveller with excellent internet connections. No ipod doc however, no tea making facilities (coffee only). There were few things that were a bit poor for a hotel of this standard. I requested a bathrobe and it took 4 hours for it to be delivered – by then I was asleep with the do not disturb sign on my door (forget the robe, I need to sleep) but at 1030 at night, an industrious valet kept knocking on my door until the robe was delivered. Outside the ice dispenser near my room the staff collected all the room service used trays into a nice pile of trash which just sat there, for hours, the most unsightly look which I was itching to clear up myself. The concierge looked most uninterested when I asked for some directions and gave me a map which needed a magnifying glass to read (I am not that old and that vision impaired but found it a bit challenging). I was asked at checking whether I wanted my room services or receive loyalty points instead. I accepted the points but had my room serviced anyway (no points). After some research I learned I had to hang a notice on my door – why asked at checking in then and disregard it?
So, OK and nice room but service? Needs improvement.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GMWestinPeach, General Manager at The Westin Peachtree Plaza, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Good Afternoon 'TieTraveller',

I'm disappointed to hear that the level of service you received did not exceed your expectations and I do apologize for that. Please know that we do strive to provide prompt and attentive service to all of our guests and I apologize that you did not experience that during your stay. Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We truly value your feedback and hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the near future.