“Some Fantastic Food Some Ok. Just Order Well & You Will Love It”
Review of El Rey del Taco

El Rey del Taco
Ranked #542 of 4,043 Restaurants in Atlanta
Price range: US$2 - US$10
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I’ve heard a lot of good things about this Taqueria and I was excited to finally check it out. Like most on BH they have parking in their strip mall lot. We came for dinner during the World Cup and they had the game on which provided a nice atmosphere. It was smaller than I expected on the inside although they had a back section closed off. Because of the World Cup it was quite loud and hard to hear the waitress but she was friendly and mostly attentive.
You get chips and salsa to start and I have to admit the salsa is yummy. A little spice not too much and I thought the chips were good. A little thicker than your standard “Mexican” restaurants.
We heard so many good things about the tacos we both opted for the Tacos. We opted for the hand made tortillas for all of our tacos except the one mini taco we got. So here is what we tried I’ll start with the ones we did not care for as much:
-Pollo- The chicken taco was very dry and not flavorful. I’ve actually probably had better at standard Mexican restaurants. It was a real disappointment
-Asada- This was a little better but I was pretty underwhelmed
The rest of our meal was much better though…….
-Chorizo- the Mexican sausage was very good. Lots of flavor and enjoyable. A little spicy
-Cabeza- The Cows Cheek was the one mini taco we got. I’ve never had Cows cheek but I wanted to try it… It was delicious. Tender and yummy.
-Al Pastor – the pork butt and steak was fantastic probably the best we had beating out the Cabeza by a small margin.
We tried combos of their red and green sauce which were fun but in the end I think I liked the salsa so much id just use that next time.
If you want roasted onions with the tacos you have to ask but they are happy to add them.
I think if I come back for taco’s I’ll try some of the other meats and leave the chicken and stead alone. Also I’d love to try the other menu items. I know this joint has a reputation for a late night place to and I imagine at 4am in the morning it’s pretty top notch stuff.
I felt like if I had not had the chicken and steak I would give this four stars but because it was a little inconsistent I went with three. This is a place worth going to though. I liked the atmosphere and the some of the food choices were great.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I happened to stumble on one of the negative reviews while searching for a good charro beans recipe, and I had to jump into the fray to defend the honor of one of my favorite restaurants. I've been there many times, and I've never had a bad experience.

El Rey del Taco serves a broad menu of amazing, simply constructed, and ridiculously affordable dishes. Pull up the menu and judge for yourself on that last point. On the first point...you won't really know until you try. If you decide to try, I highly recommend trying one or more of the tacos in a wide variety of meats: tongue, check, pork belly, goat, etc. If you're in the mood for something larger, go for one of the Parrilladas: El Maremoto and Mediterraneo are my favorites. And make sure to get some charro beans: they are tender, flavorful, and swimming in some of the best pot liquor you'll ever taste. They haunt me.

My only niggling complaint is the drink menu: the margaritas are only decent, and therefore don't match the stellar quality of the food.

My only caution is that El Rey del Taco is not a fancy Tex-Mex restaurant (thank God). It's clean and colorful and well staffed, but if you want upscale look elsewhere. If you want great Mexican food that leans authentic, you won't do better in Atlanta.

Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Shrimp tostada is yummy. Pork taco is delicious. good traditional food. Servers are always welcoming...even if you don't speak a lot if Spanish.

Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

Had heard favorable comments from others but this night did not live up to those expectations. Led by poor service, the food was authentic but some not edible. Had goat meat and ground chuck corn tacos. The chuck was good but the goat was super salty and inedible

Reviewed 13 May 2013

We went to this restaurant after reading a review in the newspaper and were terribly disappointed. The food was expensive for the quality...I had spicy shrimp, and my husband had a carnitas burrito. The guacamole was great, so we ordered another bowl; the second bowl was totally different and tasted like vinegar. The charro beans were equally disappointing: Deli ham had been diced into them, and I found more of that and diced sausages in my bowl than beans! Service was iffy...refills for drinks and salsa were hard to get. Atmosphere was lacking...which is absolutely fine if the food is good, but unfortunately it wasn't.

2  Thank Kathy W