“Absolutely Loved It!”

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #66 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 August 2011

If I've learned anything about staying at W Hotels is that they are the most inconsistent hotel chain out there. This W is one of the better properties, especially in Atlanta. This is a new construction property and everything inside is new and modern. The hotel takes up the lower floors while condos occupy the higher floors. As a Starwood Platinum member I was upgraded to one of their Fabulous rooms (which I think is the same as a Wonderful room, just on a higher floor). The room was not especially large, but it was well designed and comfortable. I absolutely loved the bathroom and especially the shower which was only separated by a pane of glass from the room. Every light had a dimmer switch on it so you could really set the mood and make the room feel sexy. The fitness center, pool, and spa are up above the hotel (but below the condos) and are a unique and fun feature to the hotel. I thought the fitness center was incredible and I could spend hours on the treadmill overlooking the city. Service at this hotel is second to none and housekeeping did a fantastic job every day. Oh, did I mention the bed.....by far one of the most comfortable beds in the hotel world. This place markets towards a younger upscale crowd and delivers at all levels.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,111)

Reviewed 6 August 2011

Good location, good value, great staff. The pool is weak as it has an overhang blocking most of the sun. To bad, as it's a great looking pool.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 29 July 2011

W is a clever blend of business hotel with enough funkiness to appeal to the personal travel who enjoys contemporary visual design. Place was pretty but desk top in room was scratched and worn.

I was initially dismayed to be limited to an in-room after hours selection, but what a terrific, gourmet pizza arrived with very fresh veggies and meats on a hand-stretched dough. Excellent service, but watch out for the in-room dining fees!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I accompanied my husband to the W Atlanta Downtown for the TechEd Conference. While he was at the conference I spent time at the hotel and exploring the area.

I know that the W has a reputation for being a first-class establishment, but there were things that made this W fall short. The rooms are equipped with very inexpensive furniture, the laminate was peeling off the desks, and the bedside tables were unstable and made of plastic.

Our first room had some kind of mold/mildew on the carpets near the shower. We asked to be moved to another room; but it was quite a hassle.

Overall, our impression was less favorable than we expected. The cost of the hotel is not in-line with the accommodations.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 July 2011

5 stars and first class without the price- walking distance to everything

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2011

The hotel is almost brand new and looks great! Rooms are big and stylish and very clean but really dark like the rest of the hotel for some reason. The staff were really friendly. The pool terrace is great but the pool was really cold when we were there. The surrounding area is kind of deserted but you can walk to the Aquarium and the sites around there. Really easy to get to from the Interstate though and MARTA station is around the corner too. For such a desolate area parking is expensive at $30, but you can park across the street in an indoor garage for like $8 a night. (There is also lots of parking lots around which are very cheap but we felt safer parking indoors.) A bit disappointing that you don't get free wifi in the rooms in a hotel of this class, but at least there is free wifi in the lobby.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Allow me to start by saying that this trip was very much needed and spurned out of having way too much family in our two bedroom loft space at one time.
Also allow me to add that I had rented at this same location more than a month prior and was not exactly happy with my stay. There was nothing wrong with the hotel or service per se, I was just put off by the room selection for the event I was hosting there.
After that initial stay I received what I thought to be was a standard and prompted email from the location "manager". I replied with gratitude and appreciation for the service and beauty of the hotel with one recommendation--to make sure that when guests make reservations that if they're coming for an event that they be given recommendations about the style of room and what could best fit the theme of their event.
I went on to add that it was nothing so severe that I would have needed to make a change that night--just that it was an obvious area of improvement in my opinion.

To my very happy surprise I received a response, from the Manager! He expressed his sincere apologies and let me know that the W was very much about making guests happy.
Needless to say, after some good conversations back and forth with him, expressing a future need for a get-a-way he helped me choose a proper room, fulfilled ALL my desires for the room and was ever so wonderful about making the arrangements. We were received with what I believe is the W way to receive guests, with enthusiasm, passion and charm. The rep who checked us in, Michael, was cordial and calm. The attending Manager on duty, Woody, was warm and very forth-coming. He came out to greet us and knew the entire back story of our stay! Sophistication and finesse at it's best, he turned on the charm, offered his card and assured us that whatever/whenever was absolute.

We had reservations at BLT (let me add that it was my partner's 29th Bday and she'd graduated with her Masters only 4 days prior--we had lots to celebrate--alone!!). Instead of going downstairs we decided to order room service from BLT, the attendant Kim, who came up a was quick, efficient, polite and again calm. WE needed calm so much we were really caught off guard by how calm and easy everything/everyone was.
We had a divine meal. I ate the first piece of steak I've had in years! Dinner was delicious, we are extremely serious about our dining so to sit in robes in a hotel room and be so well fed--we were very impressed to say the least.
We decided to go out and take a walk to settle our dinner. There was no hustle and bustle, all the staff were more than happy to fulfill all our needs, most times before we knew we needed them.

The room was immaculate. The bed luxurious. Robes warm and comfortable. Pillows plush like cottony clouds. Our placement was excellent, we had a city view without all the lights. And yes, the room was exactly what we needed. There was something for every whim we could think of.
I dont think we could have asked for a better time. She and I have longed for another get-a-way since...still have family in town (total between the three of them staying with us-- a month and a half :-/)
On the Monday after our stay, the manager wrote back to me, thanking us and asking how our experience was and whether there was anything which he could do for me. Just continue to be wonderful and efficient!

I would Highly recommend the W Downtown Atlanta. They are minutes from Everything. Walking distance to exclusive dining and social night spots, off the highway and pristine!

We've dined at BLT many times, had drinks at the downstairs bar. Not yet at WetBar. We will absolutely be back--they are literally 6 minutes from our home and have officially won themselves over as our in-town home away from home. Looking forward to spa treatments next time!

Go there and be treated like the priceless and amazing person you are! The staff will cater to you without being pushy and the beautiful design will consistently offer surprises around every corner!!!

We LOVE the W Downtown.

Room Tip: Speak with a rep, explain what you're coming for--event, business et cetera and allow them to su...