“Great for a fun night out in Atlanta”
Review of W Atlanta Downtown

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #63 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 May 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the W for a night because of it's close proximity to ta party we were attending at the aquarium. The service was spot on and we enjoyed our view from the 12 th floor. One big perk was the use of a car and driver, which I thought was a nice touch.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank kateoquinn
Write a ReviewReviews (1,101)

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Our room was well laid out and the beds were great. As always, staff at the W were wonderful, especially with our kids, making them feel at home and special. Location fantastic for the aquarium/world of Coke/CNN. The pool area is very fun with an awesome view of the city, tho heating would have been a welcome addition. Restaurant food and service was excellent, but could have used more kid-friendly options. Lobby area was chaotic at times. We had issues with getting clean towels and management could not have been more wonderful with proactive resolution. We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: daybed in 2 queen rooms is big enough for a small child to sleep.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Thank you for your review Marti! I’m very glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed the service at the hotel and the close proximity to downtown attractions. You are not the first person to comment about the pool. We have the heater set to 82 degrees which is ideal for recreational swimming but may be too cold for kids. We will look at warming it up a bit more for cooler days. I will also let the General Manager of the restaurant know that the menu might need some more kid-friendly options. Thank you for your great suggestions. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Atlanta.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

We love this hotel! It is so original as all of the W's are! The beds are amazing and the staff is wonderful. Fabulous views of the city from our room!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I was really looking forward to my stay at the W Downtown. I'd thrown a birthday party for my husband at the Midtown location a couple years ago and loved the staff and facilities there. So when my job booked me at the Downtown location I was ecstatic.

Upon arrival my entire party was impressed by the beautiful architecture at this location. The W really out did themselves in that regard. Our excitement whined though at the poor greeting we received from the front desk staff. The rep that checked us in did not tell us anything about the hotel, ask if we were Starwoods members, he did not point out where the elevators where, nor did he listen when we requested all the charges go onto one credit card!

My co-worker needed his jacket presed and asked on of the staff members if they had a steamer he could use. He was told that it would only take 10 min to press the coat and someone would bring it up directly to the room. This did not happen, after waiting 45 min for the coat to be brought up we had to go downstairs to the lobby and get it on our way out. The worst part was that the my coworkers coat was only half pressed :(

Later that evening we stop at the Drink Shop in the hotel only to find very poor service there as well. It wasn't very busy and they did not appear short staffed. My party sat for 15 min waiting on a waitress who never arrived before we decided to go elsewhere.

We did have positive experiences with the restaurant in the lobby bar area. The food there and in room service was excellent. The staff members were very helpful and friendly when we asked for local suggestions on places to eat or see.

The location of this hotel was easily accessible to I-75/85 and only a 15 min taxi ride to Midtown ($16 taxi ride for a party of four). The 5 min walk to AmericasMart and/or the Coco Cola Factory make it great for families doing tours.

I would not book here again if given the option, but would instead go to the W Midtown. Yes, the rooms at the Downtown location are very spacious and nicely kept up, but half the experience of staying at a W is the amazing customer service you receive while there.

• Stayed: April 2012
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

Thank you for your review. I’m glad to hear that you were impressed by the hotel’s design features and the personalized service you received in the restaurant and Living Room bar. It sounds like we missed a few opportunities to impress you and your co-workers with our signature service. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and we will use it to improve future guest experiences. When your travels bring you back to Atlanta, I certainly hope you will give us another chance to show you the high level of customer service that our team is dedicated to providing.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

This is overall a nice hotel. And an upgrade to a corner room/suite does help a lot. Things to like about this property are

1. Good location in downtown and just off the I-75
2. Overall hotel condition is good
3. Decent gym. There is also an outdoor splash pool, which isn't heated, so it can only be used in summer.
4. Great steaks at the BLT restaurant
5. Service is very good too.

Things that could be improved
1. Showers don't work very well. There isn't enough water pressure.
2. Although this is a new hotel, some of the furnishings, especially the couches in the room feel a little dated

Overall, it's a nice hotel. One of the better SPG properties in Atlanta. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This hotel has a lot to offer. We had a corner room window suite, large, beautiful views and very comfortable. The location is accessible to all down town activity including easy access to the major interstates. Service is great, the Spa is top notch, overall its a great stay for downtown Atlanta. My favorite!

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better! Don't forget about the pool and health club on the 10th floor...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2012

am an SPG addict, but a bit wary of the W brands. Many things work for W like the Bliss personal products they have in the bathroom, the Acura ride on the MDX that can drop you off in style and comfort within a reasonable distance and the cutting edge design inside and out of your hotel rooms. A few things that don't seem to work for this brand, Stand offish image - People working seem to be a bit stand offish under the guise of professionalism and efficiency. A little chat goes a long way to make the guest feel wanted.
I was recognized for my status (Platinum) and upgraded to this incredible corner suite with wall to ceiling windows. The rooms and the corridor was colorful, with a nice brown decor. Internal furniture was electric blue and so were the custom couch. I made used of the free shoeshine and it came back spotless even though it was handed to staff at the end of the night. The hotel has a bunch of bars from contemporary on the ground floor to the bar on the second floor that hosts live music and BMI parties which showcases some local talent. The workout facility on the 16th floor is pciceless, especially running in the morning

Make sure to try out the Acura drop off service. The restaurant downstairs is expensive, however they are plenty of options that are within 0.6 miles. Also an inexpensive local Pindar piece in Pittsburgh

I did a lot of reserach before this stay and sure this place wasn't disappointing. I wish they pay more attention to the SPG status and pay attention to Green choice, etc while we check in

Room Tip: Chose a room facing the river. Better view than facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends