“Trendy....”

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #65 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 October 2012

This is a very trendy hotel...but I feel underneath all of that...it's rather tacky....I've stayed here a number of times. Reception is a bit like a night club, loud music & dark. The bar is OK, expensive .
Breakfast ok...but why give you a cold plate for a hot breakfast?....(my eggs Benedict were over done...)
My room was average, but you have to lie in bed & look left (or right?) to watch TV....everything in the room seems to be for sale, my table had split black nail (???) polish on it...all a bit 'cheap' to me.....
My company pays for me to stay,...I personally wouldn't....

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Thank you for your recent post. I’m very sorry that the hotel did not exceed your expectations. I will be sure to share your feedback about breakfast with our chef and I appreciate your other comments about your guestroom. We will be sure to address your observations during our ongoing guestroom styling and refresh program. We offer our guests several unique bar atmospheres including the more intimate Living Room lounge and Drinkshop, our craft-cocktail bar. The bar at BLT Steak is another great option. We realize that all room setups are not for everyone and we do have several different styles to offer. I can’t think of a room where the television does not directly face the bed so I’m not sure where you stayed. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

My wife and i stayed at the W on an anniversary getaway. The hotel is very modern and chic. Cool sculptures and decorating. Light Eurotechno music in the background. Subtle lighting. The staff was very friendly and helpful with us navigating Atlanta since it was our first visit there. C.A. was our Acura driver and dropped us off around town to several destinations- he was very friendly and knowledgable. The pool on the 16th floor was cool with a nice view. Corner room was great with very modern but comfortable furnishings. Only minor irritant was that the clothes drawers were a bit low budget and stuck a lot but again, this was very minor compared to the other great amenities. Lobby bar area was very cool. We like hotels that are different than the usual. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2012

Thank you so much for your review. I'm very glad you had a memorable anniversary. I will be sure to share your kind words with Siye and our entire team. We look forward to seeing you again next year!

Reviewed 4 October 2012

Overpriced rooms, No small shop with sodas or toiletries or anything. Restaurant overpriced and choice is small! No PARKING AND 30 DOLLARS A NIGHT VALET!!!!!!!! Won't stay here again!
The elevator is really slow. No coffee in lobby, you have to do room service or do without!

Room Tip: Don't waste your money here!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. We sincerely appreciate your feedback. In addition to the items in your guestroom, we offer many additional items through our Whatever / Whenever department. We also deliver coffee makers to rooms on request. There is a great selection of complimentary micro roast coffee and teas available in the Living Room every day until 11 am as part of our W café. For your anytime fix, we have complimentary coffee located on 5th floor around the clock. Of course, you can always enjoy a fresh cup of French press coffee from In Room Dining in the comfort of your guestroom. We like coffee. Be sure to visit our website for the latest Special Offers. We have several room packages that include valet parking. Cheers!

Reviewed 1 October 2012

Just wanted to take a minute to acknowledge the outstanding service here!

I was in Atlanta just overnight, after an exhausting multiple day business trip to New Orleans, arriving later at night, in time to catch just a few hours of sleep before heading off to a 9am meeting the next morning.

I was tired, cranky and irritated at first when there were no bellhops in sight to help with the luggage. But all this was diffused at the front desk, when Michael went above and beyond in every aspect to try to improve my stay. He upgraded my room, let me know where I could still grab dinner before turning in for the night (BLT Steak, open til 10!), and explained that they were having an event at the hotel, so a lot of the valet and bellhop staff were occupied - but that he would be happy to help me with my luggage.

His personable and attentive service really eased the last segment of a long trip for a weary business traveler - it was very much appreciated so I just wanted to take a minute to acknowledge that here!

Also of note, I love BLT Steak, and the W Downtown has a branch of the restaurant on property, at street level. And coming from California, where foie gras has been banned, I was excited to be able to enjoy two foie dishes (one of them was with a 7-spice duck breast with peach mostarda!) for a quick dinner before turning in early in anticipation of my early morning meeting. I wish all hotel dining could be this fantastic!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Thank you for your kind words. We sincerely appreciate your positive comments about our talent and the hotel. I look forward to sharing your specific feedback with Michael. I’m glad you were able to experience the exceptional food and service at BLT Steak. It is rated one of the top steakhouses in Atlanta. Others might also be interested to know that we have a pretty impressive workout facility on the 16th floor with amazing views. It’s accessible 24/7. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Located just a few blocks from the Atlanta aquarium, World of Coke Museum, Georgia Tech and others, this hotel offers an upscale stay with amenities.
Restaurant and bar, along with the Bliss Spa make this location a destination in itself. Gratis coffee centrally located on each floor is a nice touch, however, some may prefer to have coffee machine in each room for convenience.
Beds are super comfortable with an abundance of pillows on each bed make sleep a real thing.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We're so glad you share our love for Atlanta and our central location. It’s a nice perk to be so close to so many different attractions. You may also enjoy our complimentary Acura car service that will transport you to many of the amazing new restaurants within a 2 mile radius of the hotel. Cheers!

Reviewed 21 September 2012

The employees in Guest Services were absolutely amazing in assisting with surprising my boyfriend with a special night. In room dining was amazing and the WOW Suite was absolutely amazing. The view was breath taking and we simply had the best time ever! Special thanks to all who assisted but most importantly the master mind behind this all was Chris - such an amazing and thoughtful employee. He went above and beyond my expectations by assisting with the room set up and discussing dining options and meals with me! He is an example employee of what all the W employees should be!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Thank you for your review! I'm sure other guests will find it very helpful. I'm glad you were able to enjoy a special evening and thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. Until next time. Cheers!

Reviewed 21 September 2012

Terrific location and lovely W furnishings and amenities. Rooms are decorated very modern with dark walls, carpet and furnishing colors - very sheek and upscale. The bed was over-the-top comfortable with ample fluffy down pillows. Room service was delivered with utmost consideration (they phoned me while standing outside when I inadvertently left the DND sign on the door). The hotel lounge had comfortable living-room seating areas that worked well with business groups, but may be a bit awkward for couples looking for something cozier. Everything you would expect from the W Hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevator ... noise and hallway conversations travel through the doors e...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your review! I’m very happy that you had a satisfying W experience. I will be sure to share your comments with our talent. We look forward to welcoming you back! Cheers.