“Never had such sleepless nights”
Review of W Atlanta Downtown

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #66 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 January 2013

My experience at the W Downtown Atlanta was terrible - 2 sleepless nights. The first night, my neighbors were loud (teenagers having a party), but when I tried to call downstairs to complain, noone even answered - in fact, the phone would ring and then go to a busy signal. I was terribly ragged the next morning and hoped a warm shower would help me wake up, but the water pressure was miserably low, like a trickle, and room service screwed up my breakfast order. I did not complain downstairs because I was i a rush for a meeting. The next night, things were seeming better until my neighbors got really loud after midnight. I kept trying to call downstairs but noone answered, so it was impossible to move rooms. Finally they figured out that I had called 8+ times and sent someone up to my room- apparently there was something wrong with my phone. They sent security up and the noise calmed down.

I could even hear noise into the hall when I exited my room to investigate. The walls are thin, the shower is disappointing and room service can't get a simple order correct. But the worst is that when I complained the second night, they told me that I should have said something the first night, but I couldn't because my phone was apparently broken! Illogical.

I am so frustrated that I never want to return to Atlanta for business, much less one of the many W's downtown!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ktimene
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. During your stay, the city was hosting a rather large convention of university students from around the world. We have a zero tolerance policy for noise or parties in the rooms and our staff addresses any reported disturbances immediately. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. This is not the typical experience for a business traveler. There is no excuse for the telephone not working as this is part of our daily checklist. I certainly hope you will give us another chance to show you the high level of customer service our team is dedicated in providing.

Reviewed 1 January 2013

I attended a party here for NYE. A friend of mine rented a fairly large two bedroom suite on the 15th floor. The style of the hotel is either love it or hate it, and I fall in the second category. I like modern and clean, but the style of this W is very bling, and more for the Kardhasian wanna-be types. It will probably need a refresh fairly soon. What I took issue with was the fact that the suite my friend paid for should not have been rented out that night. Their was a leak in the ceiling at one point near the dining area. The ceiling was not repaired properly, nor was the wood flooring, which was buckled in the dining area. I am surprised that the flooring was not replaced because it really is a trip hazard. Also, the air vents in the bathrooms, especially in the guest bath, were black with dust, and needed to be cleaned. What else was surprising was how small the TV's were. The living-room is huge, and the wall the TV is on is tremendous. It could have easily fit a 60 inch TV, but it looks like there is barely a 37 inch there.

The best part of the suite was the huge bathroom in the main bedrooms, complete with an impressive soaking tub. The only suggestion there would be to frost the glass door where the toilet is, since the bathroom is open. That could be a little awkward if you want privacy.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank mikeloveshotels
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay at W Atlanta Downtown. Your observations help us maintain the highest possible standards. Based upon your feedback, I reviewed the room and took immediate corrective action. I’m glad you enjoyed the size of the room and the huge bathroom and certainly appreciate your comments about the flat screens. We took this opportunity to purchase a much larger television for that space. Thank you and I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 25 December 2012

Stayed from 10th Nov to the 14th. Town car from the airport was the around the same price as a taxi.

When we arrived we were informed we had been upgraded to a suite.We travel a lot taking 7-8 vacations a year but we were blown away by this room.Wow it was spectacular. There was a dining table that seated 6-8, two giant sofas in the lounge area with two lounge chairs and a giant Plasma.The bedroom was on the corner of the hotel with an amazing view and the bathroom was wow too.

All of the staff at the hotel were amazing,always greeted you by name and really friendly.It would be hard to pick one particular member of staff out as they were all good however we have to mention Michael at check in who always welcomed us back to the hotel and was genuinely interested in what we had been up to that day.

The hotel is perfectly placed for an easy walk to all the main attractions,The aquarium.the world of Coca Cola and CNN.We visited all of these and enjoyed them all,we had an Atlanta city pass which we purchased before hand and is good value if you plan to visit one or more of the main attractions

We asked Emily the Concierge to recommend some places for Dinner and both were awesome,South City Kitchen and Ra sushi.

There is not a lot to do around the Hotel at night but that's not an issue as they have two cool bars and the Acura service will drop you where you want and most of the time even collect you if they can.

We got the Acura to drop us off to cool breakfast spots West Egg and Thumbs Up. Both well worth a visit, really good breakfast and excellent value. There are a few shops near West Egg, nice for a stroll.

Used the gym and pool. Very well equipped and big for a hotel. The pool was heated.

Overall great hotel with fantastic staff.

Room Tip: High floor for a great view of Downtown Atlanta.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MissKandMrJ
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review. I will be sure to share your feedback with Michael, Amy and the rest of our team. They do a terrific job and consistently provide outstanding service to our guests. It’s a nice perk for W Atlanta Downtown to be so close to so many different downtown attractions. Especially if you are able to take advantage of our complimentary Acura car service. I’m glad you enjoyed the design of the hotel and had an opportunity to use Wet, our zero-edge pool and Sweat, our work-out facility on the 16th floor with amazing views. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 20 December 2012

We celebrated my Birthday at the W for just one night and it was just what we were looking for! We normally stay at the Westin when we go downtown but decided to and the new place this time and we were glad we did! We arrived at the hotel very early, before 11am and we were allowed to check in as soon as we arrived. We received a room upgrade to a corner room and were very pleased. We had privacy, it was very quite the entire time, we felt like we were in a world of our own in our room. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The decor of the room was very "sexy" and the ammenities were plenty! I guess the highlight of our stay would be the bed! It was so soft and we loved it! The tv was awesome as it was large and turned to view from the couch area and bed area and had dvd. The room was very large and plenty of closet and drawer space. The large windows with a great view kept our eyes glued out! The hotel is walking distance to Hooters and Planet Hollywood and even further than that if you wanted. I would recommend this hotel for romance or adults.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank inkwizard

Thank you for such a wonderful review! I’m glad to hear that we were able to accommodate your early arrival and I sincerely appreciate your comments about our talent. We receive great feedback from guests on our signature W pillow top beds. They help make W Atlanta Downtown feel like your home away from home. I'm glad you had a memorable birthday and thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. Until next time. Cheers!

Reviewed 15 December 2012

I came for a Oxygen facial with Danyelle. The spa is amazing! It's not the largest spa in the world, but what it lacks in space it makes up for in amenities and service! Bliss is immaculately clean and well kept. They bring you back to the locker/waiting area and show you all the amenities and dont croud you, but you also don't feel like you're being ignored. The plush waiting area has hot tea, cucumber ice water, and brownies! The shower turns almost immeditately into a steam room with the push of 1 button. It can also function as just a normal shower with the option of a "rainforest" head. The facial with Danyelle was great. I'm young-ish, so my skin isnt horrible, but the difference before and after was visible. During the treatment she even gave me a mini massage on my arms and legs. When I went to check out she had prepared a basket of the products she reccomended for my skin but there was no pressure to purchase them. It was a nice touch and I did get the face mask she picked out (which I love and has helped my dry skin). Everyting about Bliss was great. Thank you everyone!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ATL-AKF

Thank you! We genuinely appreciate your comments about Bliss Atlanta Downtown and our talent. I’m very glad to hear that you were able to experience our Triple Oxygen Facial – it’s one of our most popular spa services! I look forward to sharing your comments with Danyelle and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 9 December 2012

The hotel is very attractive and well decorated. The service was superior and the room service was phenomenal. Finally, the room rate was very reasonable for such a well-appointed downtown Atlanta property. I was impressed!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank SaraBFlynn F
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2012

Thank you for your review! I’m very glad to hear you enjoyed the design of the hotel and the superior service. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

Stayed here for business during the SEC. The lobby gets very loud with music and people during the evening. The staff at the front are very friendly. The room is dark, but very modern and comfortable. The beds were great and the bathroom was roomy with lots of shelves. The room was very quiet. Plenty of outlets for your electronics. 2 things that bothered me, the valet was extremely rude. I had to call each morning for my car and was not greeted warmly. They were not polite and rarely moved with speed. Even after calling down, waiting 5 minutes, then making my way over to valet, they were sitting in their room and had not even begun to get my car. When I pulled back up to valet in the evening, i was rarely greeted and had to wait or get out of my car to find someone. The towels in the bathroom smelled horrible!! I don't know what they use to wash them but i had to hold my breath to dry off. This needs to be fixed.

Room Tip: higher floor gets rid of the street noise. Stay away from elevators.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank amylee87
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I appreciate your kind words regarding the hotel and the service provided by our staff. I was concerned to hear about the issues with the linen. I reviewed your feedback with the appropriate department and I will personally work with the valet parking provider to improve the level of service. Your parking experience is clearly not consistent with our standards. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back.