“If you want to be ignored...”
Review of W Atlanta Downtown

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #59 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Paul, MN
“If you want to be ignored...”
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I recently stayed at the W Hotel in Atlanta for 5 nights. I paid an average of $245/night and was very disappointed in my stay.

The hotel is a design hotel, but it needs a little spiffing up. A lot of the glass and metal were dusty and fingerprinted which detracted from the overall appearance.

The rooms are painted charcoal grey and deep magenta in the bathroom. It hides some of the dirt - my curtains were badly stained (see photo) and the paint in the toilet room had a lot of stains on it as well. The shower didn't drain (see photo) and one of my lights didn't work.

I complained to the management and the light was addressed immediately. The shower and the curtains remained an issue and it wasn't until Day 4 of my stay that they offered to buy me drinks or breakfast to make it up to me.

In addition, it the W is a "party" hotel - the W provides ear plugs to guests - and for 2 of my nights I listened to loud parties until 3 am.

The location is only medium - it is downtown near the freeway and two blocks (that are parking lots) from the fun part of downtown. You can definitely do better in Atlanta.

There is free WiFi only in the lounge - you pay in your room - and the overall hotel experience was not good. I was looking for an adjustment to my bill given the issues I experienced, but I was ignored.

I expected better of the W, but clearly this is not a luxury hotel.

1 Thank BridgetF
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincere apology for the challenges you experienced during your stay. I was very disappointed that your room was not styled properly prior to your arrival. This is clearly not consistent with W standards and we will ensure that the issues you mentioned are addressed and do not happen in the future. Clearly we should have followed up on your concerns more expeditiously and with a more appropriate response. I am personally working with our team to address this specific issue. It’s unfortunate that noise from other guests kept you from experiencing the full comfort of the hotel. We have a very strict noise policy and we do not allow or promote parties in guestrooms. Please let me know when your travels bring you back to Atlanta and hopefully you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Meridian, Mississippi, United States
Reviewed 21 January 2013

The people at the W Atlanta Downtown truly made our engagement perfect! Courtney Kowalewski was heaven sent. She was extremely helpful with the coordination of our evening. From my view, the evening went without a snag, but high winds and my packing mishap created opportinities for the W to show us how great they were. I had to get a last minute outfit. The hotel driver was already out, so Courtney personally made sure I made it to Atlantic Station. Even with the high winds, my fiancé, with the help of the staff of cousre, was still able to safely propose on the helicopter pad atop the W. Courtney and the staff helped create the most memorable nght of my life. Thanks!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown for your special occasion and congratulations on your engagement! We love helping to make sweet memories for our guests. We could not do this without the professionalism and dedication of our team. I will be sure to share your kind words with Courtney. We hope to see you many more times in the future. Cheers!
Boston
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Good business stay at the W Downtown Atlanta. Love BLT it has a great atmosphere, good food and nice wine (but it is expensive). The hotel was very pleasant and the platinum breakfast coupon was worth it....Would definitely stay again.

1 Thank JacquelineSmith
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
Thank you for posting a review. We continue to receive great comments regarding BLT Steak - one of the best steak restaurants in Atlanta. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Montgomery, AL
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Great business stay recently at the W Atlanta Downtown. But, it was raining the entire length of our stay, and the valet parking attendants seemed to be on break or missing in action EVERY TIME we needed our car. So, even though the area where you wait is covered (slightly), there was rain splashing on us while we tried to find someone to get our car. Need more valet attendants! Other than that, it was a great stay.

2 Thank JWLMontgomery_AL
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Thank you for your review. I’m glad you enjoyed your W Atlanta Downtown experience! I sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding valet parking and we will continue to work to improve future guest experiences. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Denver
Reviewed 12 January 2013

In Atlanta for a meeting, the W was an option listed for the group. Having stayed at many Ws in other cities, it seemed like a good bet. Once one gets past the fact that downtown Atlanta might be one of the least friendly and interesting downtown metro areas known to man, and that there is ABSOLUTELY nothing of significant interest except for a few sites (World of Coca Cola, the Aquarium, Olympic Park, Phillips Arena, and the Convention Center are all within walking distance), its ok. Do not expect anything in terms of good food or pedestrian-friendly shopping or cafes in the area (run of the mill chain franchises, Hooters, and the Hard Rock ? really ?), and plan on a rather deserted feeling that makes even the toughest solo traveling woman slightly uncomfortable about how long it will take to find the body.... but I digress. The hotel itself is a great place to lay your head. Classic W design and those really lovely Bliss Spa bath products make for a restful stay. Aesthetically, the rooms are well-designed and very soothing. The shower in our particular room was delightful, although if you are modest, you may not want to be so exposed all the time. Comfy bed and appointments were great. The charge for internet was a little silly, but the staff were very pleasant and professional. People who do not appreciate somewhat inane, entitled, and often drunk 20-somethings coming to party on the weekend should not stay here (picture slightly stupidly drunk dude in his stocking feet proclaiming to no one in particular in the elevator, "I stay here so often that I feel right at home !" -- hardly made me want to strike up a friendship with him). As long as the guest rolls with those punches, a sensory experience is highly likely and great W design is pervasive.

Room Tip: For a quieter experience, ask for a room away from the elevators and the bar and pool levels. Becau...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DenverDoctorMom
Thank you for your review. I certainly appreciate your comments regarding the design of the hotel and our fabulous talent. I’m glad you enjoyed the bliss amenities and found the guestroom to be spacious and the bed comfortable. Next time, please enjoy our complimentary Acura car service to explore the amazing new shops, restaurants and boutiques in the neighborhoods that surround the hotel. Cheers!
Waimea, Hawaii
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I did not stay at the W Atlanta Downtown, but I did spend several hours at the spa the day after I started my much needed 2 week vacation. When I first called to book my appointments for Sunday morning, the reservation agent mentioned deals offered on travelzoo.com. I had never heard of that site, and was thankful for the suggestion. I purchased the deal on travelzoo.com (105 min treatment - scrub, cocoon, and 1 hr massage), and also booked a mani/pedi. This package also included a complimentary glass of champagne, which I thought was a nice touch. The spa is very different from what I've experienced in the past. And different isn't a bad thing - it was just more "modern" and offered contemporary architecture - a nice change from the over the top, opulent spas I've been to in the past. The ladies locker room has floor to ceiling windows (with blinds) that overlooks the downtown Atlanta skyline - I pretended it was my own personal bathroom! I really enjoyed taking a shower and refreshing there after my treatments. My nail tech, Lauren, was awesome! She did a tremendous job on both my manicure and pedicure, and we had a great conversation. Normally I do not care to chat during my services, but Lauren wasn't intrusive and our conversation flowed naturally - she made my experience complete! My nails held up for quite some time, which is a feat for me since I'm tough on my hands and feet. My husband and I also checked out the gym, located on the same floor of the spa, and WOW - what a view! I can only imagine one would get lost in their workout with such a stunning view of downtown. Floor to ceiling windows and whatever type of machine you're in need of. They have it all. Look forward to staying at the W next trip to Atlanta, and definitely more services at Bliss!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jackpot82
Thank you for your review! The Ginger Rub at Bliss Spa is a great way to unwind whether you are travelling for business or pleasure. I’m glad you enjoyed our luxe nail lounge and the service provided by Lauren. I will share your comments with her and the rest of the team. Hopefully, on your next visit you will have an opportunity to stay at W Atlanta Downtown and get the full W experience.
Hoover, Alabama
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Stayed two nights @W.The first things we saw on our arrival to the room was it was small Wonderful Room.It hadn't been dusted in a while.Even the bottle of FIJI water was dusty.There was everything for sale from condoms to umbrella's in the room.All I can say is this isn't a family friendly hotel.The shower stall had mold on the walls. And on the first night starting @ 10:30 pm-3am there was lough screaming,slamming of doors that our door would shake.Of course we complained&the young lady @ the desk commented they were regulars & she never knew they acted like that.We told her that's no excuse because they are regulars,are you staying in the room with them to know what they do,once they check in?The Acura Service is drop off only.Kudo's to the driver Frank,he was very knowlegeable & helpful.Parking is $30 day.If we choose to stay @W again it will not be in a Wonderful Room.Also, we were on the 14th floor & the street noise was distracting until we started to tune it out. And I have to agree it is dark from elevator, hallways, & room.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LTWEBB
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your comments about our complimentary Acura car service and I will be sure to share your feedback with Frank. I was disappointed that your room was not styled properly prior to your arrival. This is clearly not consistent with our standards. It is unfortunate about the noise issues because we do have a strict noise policy. We believe every guest should have the opportunity to enjoy the comfort of their guestroom. We genuinely appreciate your feedback and I will share your comments with our management team to ensure similar situations do not happen in the future.