“Sleek and Modern”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Kleinburg, Canada
“Sleek and Modern”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is our return trip to Atlanta in two months and decided to try the W. The hotel is within walking distance to the Mart. It's a more modern contemporary look and feel. We were upgraded to a corner suite with all windows for a magnificent view. Elevators require your room key for access. The shower and bath area is open concept which means no doors therefore ideally suited for couples. There is a bar lounge on the main level and one in the upper level.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review! I certainly appreciate your comments regarding the design of the hotel. We are pleased our location and amenities were to your liking. We hope you have the opportunity to return to Atlanta soon and explore more of what Downtown has to offer. Until next time, Cheers!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I booked the W for my wife's 30th birthday having never stayed at a W before. I was so impressed by this hotel that I plan to return for another special occasion.

I requested an upgrade ahead of our stay via email and the manager was happy to oblige with a great corner room. Also to our surprise was a generous waiving of the $30 parking fee in honor of the birthday girl. The front desk staff and security were very warm and helpful, but perhaps the shining star of this crew was the valet attendant, Diego. I have NEVER been ok with valeting my car, I'm always afraid of careless parking and care of the car by either the attendant, their colleagues or other drivers. I reluctantly valet my car and always seek a self-parking option if possible. The W downtown does not offer another option (at least one managed by the hotel), so I was forced to valet but didn't say a word about my apprehensions. As we were boarding the elevator to our room, Diego comes running up to me to show me a picture he took of my car, parked in a spot far from other cars. He explained "I know you were worried about your car so I made sure it would be safe". This blew me away. I've never experienced a valet that actually cared about my car and went out of his way to reassure me. Incredible service.

Our room was absolutely splendid and beautifully decorated. Bed was comfortable, surrounding floors were quiet, bathroom was large and elegant. I'm sure most if not all of the W's rooms are of similar quality and we were definitely pleased.

The BLT restaurant offered a nice breakfast and was decently priced. The smoked salmon, omelette and potatoes were all tasty and service was good. I'm curious about the dinner menu and would be interested in coming back.

The W downtown is a great choice with wonderful accommodations, a fantastic staff and convenient location to Centennial Park and the rest of downtown. We'll be back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for such a wonderful review! I appreciate you highlighting the service Diego provided. I will be sure to share your comments with Diego and the entire team. I hope your wife had a memorable birthday. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown for your special celebration. We look forward to welcoming you back for another great experience!
Oxnard, California
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Came for a business meeting on Friday and stayed through the weekend.

We were really pleased with our room 1117, and wanted to have a bite to eat and relax after a long day. Unfortunately something happened with our room service and it took 90 minutes to get a cheeseburger and sliders. We tried to call and cancel after 1 hour but they claimed it was on its way up. 30 minutes later it arrived with an apology from the waitress. Food was so-so. But the waitress did call us back to say that she had the charge removed. That is good service. Mistakes happen, and recognizing them is appreciated. The rest of the trip was great in large part due to Pablo the concierge. Great dinner recommendation, he even went to the store for us when we needed a small something. Thanks to Pablo and Kiki for making our first trip to Atlanta a pleasure! Sue and Steve

• Stayed October 2013
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you Sue and Steve for this great review. I was disappointed to hear about the long wait on your In-Room Dining but happy to hear that they adjusted the charges. I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. I’m glad you enjoyed the customer service and Pablo and Kiki made you feel welcome. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and we look forward to seeing you again. Cheers!
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I am a fan of Ws and stayed in many previously, but not in the last year. I usually love the vibe, the music, being inspired by the decor. W downtown Atlanta on the other hand is not looking good. The room is battered and old. The furniture is damaged, ply surfaces exposed on most of the items, a drawer is hanging broken, the wall splattered with something and not been cleaned. The guests think they're incredibly cool, which by definition makes them very uncool, so lends for a highly pretentious atmosphere. Really disappointed and will question whether to try any other Ws in the future. Maybe they were cool a few years ago but haven't kept up in the recession. I wonder whether this is now haunt for teenagers. I also hate that the wifi isn't free. Even the park round the corner has free wifi! Not impressed at all.

• Stayed October 2013
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Thank you for your recent post and value your observations. Our Wi-Fi prices are based on the internet connection package you choose – we have several options available to serve different needs. We also offer free wireless internet access in the Living Room. We are also the official Wi-Fi provider for the neighboring park and multiple other hot spots around the city as part of the W free Wi-Fi network. Sorry we couldn’t meet all your expectations, but I do appreciate your review.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My stay at the W Hotel Downtown Atlanta started with them telling me my secondary emergency contact had been changed to the primary contact - which prevented me from checking into my own room even though the card they were charging was mine. I had to wait 2 hours for my friend to come by to check me in to my own room. During our second day, no one came by the clean the room or bring fresh towels. I had to steal some from the cart lady. And as the hotel had broken up my stay for the two nights into two reservations, they made me move rooms after the first day. When I got home from our trip, I then saw a $200 charge for smoking - and as I'm severely allergic I knew this was a ridiculous charge. I called the hotel, and after a long time on hold, they finally refunded the money. Combined with a $30/day parking charge, my bill for this place was ridiculous for what I got. Overall, worst stay I have had at a hotel in a long time for somewhere that's suppose to be a great place to stay. Would not recommend to anyone!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hilary S
Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to hear that there was some miscommunication during your check-in process. I apologize you had to wait but I’m glad to hear it was resolved. While this does not happen often, I apologize that your room was not refreshed. I will share your comments with our team to ensure this does not happen. I’m sorry to hear about the confusion with your room night charge but I’m glad we were able to correct your bill. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back because I am confident we can provide you with a memorable experience.
Lufkin, Texas
Reviewed 4 October 2013

This hotel is a true breath of fresh air in a busy downtown Atlanta. From the moment you are greeted as you step out of your cab to the moment you step back in it you are treated and catered to by an excellent staff. The rooms are very luxurious and if you can ever stay in any of the #18 rooms then your have a gorgeous view. I was in 518. The fitness center is one of the best I've been to in a long time as well as the pool area. Both are located on the 16th floor and have excellent views of the Belle of the South...Atlanta. If you like food, the restaurant downstairs on the main floor, BLT, is exquisite. My 12oz filet was cooked to perfection and could be cut with a fork. And don't forget the sides...jalapeno mashed potatoes. YUM!!! The other thing that made the visit amazing was the location of the hotel. You are within 2 blocks of the GA Aquarium and the World of Coca-Cola. Both are must sees. There are many places to visit just a step or two away.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you Matt for the wonderful review. It sounds like a perfect stay and that you enjoyed many aspects of the hotel. I’d like to recommend that you experience Drinkshop, our craft cocktail bar and our fabulous Bliss Spa upon your next visit. Thank you again for sharing your observations and please come back to see us again soon! Until next time, Cheers!
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The hotel was beautifully designed, but overall what made my experience the best was the staff. NJ, Pablo, and Loandi were always around when I needed something. They were prompt in helping me. They made my work easier which allowed me to enjoy myself while I was at the hotel and not stress out. I can't get over how much NJ really made my stay at the W hotel memorable. He made sure everything was perfect to the "T". NJ didn't just check me in, but he also showed he cared by asking me about my flight and if I liked the hotel. Just because NJ showed he cared I felt that if I had any problems, I knew somebody that I could ask to help me. NJ, Pablo, and Loadi should definitely be considered the best W hotel staff ever. Somebody should give these guys some extra points!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to spotlight the service you received. I will be sure to share your comments with NJ, Pablo-Andres, Loandi and the entire team. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. Until next time. Cheers!