“The most poorly organized hotel I have ever stayed in!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of W Atlanta Downtown

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #55 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Pensacola Beach, Florida
“The most poorly organized hotel I have ever stayed in!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

Lets start off with saying the only parking arrangement at the hotel is valet and while that typically is not an issue, the valet service is sub-par at best.. when the valet took my keys they put the incorrect color code on my vehicle because they were so involved in the conversation they were having about some womans behind they could not be bothered with my service. After doing this they did not ask me anything about my stay what so ever and just said they will take care of it and took off BEFORE I even had a chance to get everything out of my car. After checking in, we had to have the valet retrieve my car so I could finish unloading. We finally get to our room and it is quite possibly the tiniest room I have ever stayed in, the lighting was terrible, it felt like it was trying too hard to be swanky and just missed the mark entirely. Later when we decided to go out to dinner we again requested my car from valet and was promptly asked for a $15 fee. When I asked why we were being charged $15 the woman at the valet said it was because we were not over night guests. When I informed her we were in fact over night guests she said I had the wrong color code on my keys and asked ME why I would have the wrong color code on my keys when I was an over night guests. I quickly informed her I was not an employee of the W Hotel Downtown and that I was not the person she should be asking questions too. When she got her manager he came to me and again asked why I had the incorrect color code, when I went into my explanation of the earlier mishap with the valet he turned to my spouse and as if I had not been speaking English and asked him what the issue was, while I understand he may have had a hard time with this conversation due to the fact that the staff smelled strongly of marijuana and was drinking at the valet stand, which was HIGHLY inappropriate, there was no issue with my English nor with my enunciation. After I informed the manager I was the person he needed to speak to if he did not understand what was happening and I am the one who dealt with the valet to begin with he acted like I was not important. After 15 minutes of conversation that seemed to be going no where he finally correct my key. The next day we check out and are on our 6 hour drive back to our home in FL while checking the bank account I notice there are TWO charges for valet on my credit card. After calling and having this corrected for the second time up pops up ANOTHER charge for $8 bag of gummy bears that we did not eat. After informing them we did not eat the gummy bears nor did we partake in the graciously displayed "complimentary" bottle of nestle purelife water they so kindly leave for you in the corner of the room, or the shampoo, conditioner and body wash that was available free of charge in the shower, why on earth would I eat a handful of $8 gummy bears? For the amount this hotel charges to stay in their poorly unorganized gaudily decorated hotel you would think the staff and managers would not be so aloof about their job. This hotel is not cool nor would I consider it luxury as I can get better service and accommodations at an hourly motel that I did at this terrible excuse for a hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for your review. We receive many great comments about the design of the room but I certainly understand that it is not for everyone. I appreciate your positive comments about FIT, our work-out facility on the 16th floor. Wet, our rooftop pool is usually open all year round for anyone wishing to take a dip. However, it was closed recently for 2 days for a routine maintenance check. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please come back and visit us again and get the whole W experience. Cheers!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Lots of my friends have stayed in W's but this was my first. It was simply great. The room was great, the Bliss products in the room lovely. But I realise it's the small things that matter to the W - for example there are earphones in the gym so you can watch the TVs, while there are apples for after you have exercised. Great coffee in the Living Room in the morning as well. Alan, Allison, NJ and the rest of the team were always helpful and did everything they could to make the stay so great. Travis - the courtesy car driver was really friendly - and how many other hotels give you access to a car to take you anywhere within a 2 mile radius - perfect if you don't know the city that well. The location of the hotel is great for the Olympic Park area with CNN and Coke. The only thing I didn't get chance to try was the pool. I honestly think it's one of the best hotels stays I've had.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for your review! I’m very glad to hear that you enjoyed the service at the hotel and our talent especially Alan, Allison, NJ and Travis made you feel welcome. I will be sure to share your kind words with them. It’s also good to know that you were able to enjoy the amentities we offer our W guests. Be sure to come visit again and see WET, our amazing 16th Floor rooftop pool. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Fayetteville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Loved this place from the start! Very cool but casual atmosphere at the front desk. Our corner room was beautiful and that view...wow! NJ took great care of us..personal welcome note, complimentary dessert...made for a great welcome! Jason gave us a mini-tour our first evening and answered all our questions about places to go, restaurants, etc. The hotel is walking distance to the Georgia Aquarium and the Coca Cola Museum, and only a quick drive or easy cab ride to great midtown restaurants. I loved the modern look of our room and the rest of the hotel. Amazingly quiet, considering the amount of traffic in Atlanta...and did I mention that view???! Make time for a spa service here. The Bliss Spa is outstanding!

Room Tip: Go for the corner room!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. We have been receiving wonderful comments about our Cool Corner rooms. I certainly appreciate your feedback. I will be sure to share your feedback with NJ, Jason and the rest of our team. They do a terrific job and consistently provide outstanding service to our guests. It’s a nice perk for W Atlanta Downtown to be so close to so many different downtown attractions. I’m glad you enjoyed the design of the hotel and had an opportunity to experience Bliss Spa, our wonderful spa with amazing views. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Marblehead, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I'm with cuisinesavvy, this hotel tries so hard to be hip, it's just silly. Halls are dark; room is too. Bathtub shower was difficult to get in and out, and I have long legs. Can't imagine how a short person could execute it. And most annoying is that this super trendy hotel charges $15 a day for wifi in the guest rooms. Seems totally crazy for such a hip hotel to tack on that charge. There is free wifi in the "living room" on first floor but the music is so loud, who would want to sit there to use it? Discovered accidentally that there is free coffee in the first floor living room, better than nothing, but I can't remember staying in a hotel that didn't have coffee in the room.

On the positive side, beds were comfy. I like that a key is required to use elevator. There's a printer and electronic tablet in the lobby for printing boarding passes. And it seems like it's easy to get a cab here. And if you want contemporary decor, this is your place.

More cons than pros though, and I will avoid the W chain in the future.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank you for posting a review. I’m glad you were able to enjoy a wonderful night’s sleep. We receive great feedback from guests on our W Pillow Top Beds. We do have a great selection of coffee and teas available in the Living Room, but we can also deliver a coffee maker to your room on request. Of course, you can always enjoy a fresh cup of coffee from In Room Dining in the comfort of your guestroom. I appreciate your comments regarding the design, we are always looking for opportunities to improve. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown!
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

I've stayed at this W previously in a regular room. This trip I chose a "cool corner room". Loved this room. All done in browns with cool touches and nice bathroom. Floor to ceiling windows on two sides with shades to cover them. With the shades closed you feel like you are in a sleep cocoon with everything dark and a huge comfy bed. I generally do not sleep well at hotels but slept in late each morning, I was so comfortable. One drawback of the corner my room was located was the freeway below, some noise does not bother me at all and was of no concern. IF you are bothered by some noise ask for a room away from the freeway, perhaps the opposite side of the hotel (last visit in a normal room I did not even know there was a freeway nearby).

The staff was great. If you like coffee first thing in the morning like me call and ask for a coffee maker. They will bring up a big tray with everything you need to make great cups of java (no charge).

I skipped the hotel affiliated restaurant for breakfast. You can walk across the front where the cars are parking. Go into the office building and at the right is a great sandwich shop. They make a mean breakfast sandwich, you pick the ingredients (eggs, bacon, cheese, whatever). I ordered mine on ry and it was marbled kind and perfect for the start of a business day.

After 2 weeks of returning home I realized I left a leather jacket in the closet. I called and they were great at responding to me and sending it back. It was the security department that handles lost and found. I was dreading the call and thinking it would be a hassle to even inquire but they were very professional and took care of it with speed. Kudos!

Would I come back for a 3rd visit when in town on business, YES!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thank you for your recent post. I appreciate all your kind words about our staff – they work hard to provide exceptional guest experiences. We have been receiving wonderful comments about our Cool Corner rooms and I certainly appreciate your feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed our signature W pillow top bed – a very popular feature with many of our guests. I’m also happy to hear that you had a chance to experience our great selection of complimentary coffees and teas. We love coffee too! I was glad that our security department was able to locate your leather jacket and you received it quickly. Thank you so much for your loyalty to W Atlanta Downtown and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Roswell, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Don't get me wrong, I like boutique hotels. I really like them. But the W takes this trendy, too-cool-for-school aura too far. Music is too loud everywhere, the staff is too casual for a hotel in this price range. No free internet in the rooms (what??? ) . Complimentary coffee service in the "living room" is served in cardboard cups. (The Hampton inn provides mugs). The good thing is it's only one night. Did I mention the staff? Except for the valet guys, people did a lot of looking down their noses at us.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you for your review. I was very disappointed to hear about your interaction with our staff. This is clearly not acceptable and not consistent with W standards. Please accept my sincere apology. I will work together with our Director of Welcome Office to ensure our talent have the necessary training to support our service commitment. I appreciate your comments regarding Wi-Fi; we have several options available to serve different needs. We also offer free wireless internet access in the Living Room. Upon Request, we do have mugs but many of our morning guests prefer cups so they can take coffee to-go as they head off to business meetings. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to W Atlanta Downtown.
Kleinburg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is our return trip to Atlanta in two months and decided to try the W. The hotel is within walking distance to the Mart. It's a more modern contemporary look and feel. We were upgraded to a corner suite with all windows for a magnificent view. Elevators require your room key for access. The shower and bath area is open concept which means no doors therefore ideally suited for couples. There is a bar lounge on the main level and one in the upper level.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review! I certainly appreciate your comments regarding the design of the hotel. We are pleased our location and amenities were to your liking. We hope you have the opportunity to return to Atlanta soon and explore more of what Downtown has to offer. Until next time, Cheers!