“Friendly Staff, Great Experience”
Review of W Atlanta Downtown

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #59 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Friendly Staff, Great Experience”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Recently stayed at the W in Downtown Atlanta as part of a Christmas gift. The staff was very pleasant to work with and made the stay enjoyable. One of the highlights was working with Tasha, who after multiple date changes remained flexible and cheerful throughout the coordination of our trip. She added a personal touch by delivering a hand written note wishing us a pleasant stay, which went a long way to our appreciation of the hotel staff. Would recommend this location for anyone looking to stay in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thank you so much James for feedback from your stay. We take great pride in the service we provide our guests and we will be sharing your response with our team. Tasha is a wonderful asset and we are lucky to have her. We hope to welcome you back again very soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Villa Rica, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I booked a suite at the W Downtown for my wife's birthday on Dec. 21st. The whole process went smooth and I got everything lined up for an amazing stay Downtown. The next day after booking the room, I received an email from a lady by the name of Loandi (Pronounced Lindy), who asked if I there was anything that she could do to make our planned stay more enjoyable. After thinking about it for a while, I decided to ask her how much the next size room up would cost and if she could make it happen. Only 10 minutes lapsed by, and I received a response from her stating that she went ahead and upgraded us to the WOW Suite for my wife's birthday free of charge. When we arrived, the room wasn't quite ready, so the lady at the front desk personally took us to the bar and had the bartender make us drinks while we waited. On top of everything, when we got to the room, Loandi had chocolate strawberries and champagne waiting on us when we got upstairs. The service level of this hotel far exceeded my expectations for the night! If you want a relaxing place to get away, or just need to stay for business, this place has it all! I will definitely be back to stay another night in the future!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for the fabulous review! We think our suites are amazing – especially the Wow Suite. I’m glad you enjoyed it. I appreciate you highlighting the service Loandi provided. I will be sure to share your comments with her and the entire team. It sounds like your wife had a memorable birthday. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown for your special celebration. We look forward to welcoming you back for another great experience!
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Stayed at the W over the weekend with the family, one toddler included. Let's start with the positives.

The W hotel is conveniently located near all the attractions, within walking distances to the Georgia Aquarium, Coca Cola Factory, the museums, and CNN. So I enjoyed the convenience. The rooms are clean and nicely decorated, and the gym had a nice view and more than adequate. I also ordered room service, and I enjoyed the food as well. The valet was also quick.

So what about the negatives? Well, the valet parking was $30 per night, but I imagine that's pretty standard for the downtown area. The rooms were too dim for my tastes, but it was also rainy all weekend. The staff is a hit or miss. Some were very helpful and extremely hospitable, and others were a little standoff-ish. I do agree with the other reviews, the valet guys and the hotel security were very nice and helpful. Also, my room was not cleaned on the second night of our stay, but Jason at the front desk quickly resolved this complaint for me on check out.

The W brand targets business travelers, couples and bachelor/bachelorette parties. I probably wouldnt stay there again if I had to take my 3 year old with me. However, Jason at the front desk, exemplified what hospitality should be about, so I will recommend others to stay there if they are in the Atlanta area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Annonymous500
Hello and thank you for posting on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your positive comments about the rooms and our customer service. Thank you for taking the time to spotlight the service you received. I will be sure to share your comments with Jason and the entire team. Although we strive for a superior customer service experience in all aspects of the hotel, it seems like we fell short in some areas. We certainly want you to feel warm and welcome at W Atlanta Downtown. Cheers!
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We headed to Atlanta to see a concert at the Phillips Arena. Deciding to make a break of it my wife and I booked 3 nights in at the W in a corner room and asked for as high a floor as possible.
The hotel is split into 2 halves by the swimming pool. Above the pool are the residences and below are the rooms. They gave us the room beneath the swimming pool so as high as it was possible to have. The room was pretty nice, if i had to criticise i'd say it was a tiny bit tired, with lots of the furniture having clear signs of touch up with dark marker pens on dark surfaces - which is kind of understandable. I guess a lot of guests aren't as respectful with other peoples furniture as we are and no hotel could afford to keep replacing stuff every time it was damaged. The bathroom layout is great but be warned, certainly in our corner room, the toilet is behind a 'frosted' glass panel which offers very little privacy with the glass door shut, and the shower has no door, just a nice large open space. This is fine for couples but no good for friends sharing. Even with couples, its not always nice to have to ask your partner to stay in the main bedroom whilst you use the wc.
On the first evening we struggled with a noise coming from what we thought the air conditioning. Engineering came up and listened and said 'ah ha!, sounds like the pool pump room and with that off he went to shut down a pump, tighten something up and flush a filter and 'voila!'. He came back to say he couldn't promise the fix would last the length of our stay.
The bar/living room on the ground floor serves great cocktails and nice food and delicious desserts. We ate twice here so it must have been good. Very nice surroundings!!
On the final day the noise had come back - we didn't whinge, we just asked reception to ask the engineer to repeat his actions. Unexpectedly I got an email from their customer services apologising for the problem and offering free breakfast the next day. As we were leaving early the next day I suggested maybe they could do a little with the room rate - they actually credited the night for us. Is it wrong to be surprised by this action? It shouldn't be but it sure surprised me given some of our previous experiences in other hotels. Thank you W.
We had a sunny day and decided to chill by the pool. I actually took a dip in it and it was fantastic - flipping cold when i got out though!
One more thing, when we were heading out to the arena the weather had changed and it was pouring down. We were stood trying to decide whether to walk the 15mins to the arena or grab a cab. There was a chap with his little one waiting for his car to come up from valet. He asked us if we were going to get a cab, where we were going and said ' jump in, i'll take you'. Turns out he was a marketing manager for the W, he was clearly on a day off and didn't think twice about offering a lift to 2 people he didn't know.
Now we've stayed in some pretty awesome places around the world and purely from our experience at the W, i'd have to say this was one of the better ones and we will certainly return here without even looking at other options, next time we are in Atlanta.
Final point about the arena - do your research on the best way to get there. On our 1st day in Atlanta we took a stroll towards the arena, went a way past it on another street and suddenly found ourselves in an area that I was pretty uncomfortable in. The sort of area where you needed to carry on walking the way you were so you didn't look like you were a lost tourist.

Room Tip: Ask and ye shall receive. I would go for a corner room for the extra few bucks
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you Paul for taking the time to share your detailed review. I hope you enjoyed your concert! We apologize for the noise resulting from the pool pump and will make sure engineering corrects the problem for future use. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel. Pablo, our Marketing Manager and the rest of our team strive to provide every guest with an amazing W experience, even on their days-off. I’m glad you were able to experience some southern hospitality. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Gainesville, Georgia
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We gave a wedding night gift to my brother-in-law of a night at the W. The staff was, as usual, perfect, I mean that. Valet, door man, front desk, concierge, all of them made their stay memorable. We showed up with the new-weds in their dress and tux and set them in the bar for a glass of bubbly. Retrieving the key to set up the room, and to our surprise, what an upgrade, with out asking. All we did when reserving the room was to say that it was their wedding night....W is the best at out performing our thoughts. We have stayed here and at other W's and stand by the "What ever When ever" Its true.

Room Tip: Cool corner room are the neatest.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you freerider71 for this wonderful review. This is our Whatever/Whenever service at its best! It’s the small things we can do that give the total W experience. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and we look forward to welcoming you back for another great experience!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Seon, Brian and Carolina were so awesome for my birthday celebration in November at the Drink Shop. The hospitality was over and above with planning and preparing for my special night. I commend them for excellent service and the professionalism from start to finish.
Once again thanks for all that you do!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise and a great view of the city.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for this rave review! I look forward to sharing your comments with Seon, Brian, Carolina and the rest of our team. Happy belated Birthday and thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. We look forward to welcoming you back, perhaps to celebrate again next year. Cheers!
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

First i would agree with otgers that the rooms are way too dark... the ambience is fun for about 5 minutes and then you try to get ready to go out and you run into trouble. We opened our blinds fully to get more light in the room but the outside of the windows were so grimy and dirty it ruined the view entirely.

We ordered room service on our last day and I have never had such terrible food served to me. My husband and I enjoyed fine dining all weekend in Atlanta but I would rather have eaten at an ihop. My husbands eggs were almost entirely raw, the whites were nowhere close to cooked and my waffle seems to have been precooked and was so stale and dry I couldnt eat it.

It was a very disappointing end to our stay. I will say the bartenders were exceptional... very friendly and professional. Tgey made wonderful recommendations and pairings. I would recommend the bar to anyone.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to post such a detailed review about your experience and we look forward to exceeding your expectations next time! This is certainly not the norm for our room service. Our in room dining comes from the BLT Steak kitchen, which has been recognized as one of the top five steak restaurants in Atlanta. We hope that you’ll come again and give us a second chance. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown.