“Company Sales Meeting Location”
Review of W Atlanta Downtown

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #58 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dracut, Massachusetts
“Company Sales Meeting Location”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I hosted my company's sales meeting at this hotel. I have gotten nothing but rave reviews of the hotel and meeting. The one complaint that seemed to be repeated over and over is that the rooms were not well lit. Apparently they are upgrading the guest room lighting this year. Also, the showers are glass and sort of in the middle of the room with no curtain. You can get a curtain upon request (which if you're traveling with kids or friends you'll need). I guess the curtains have suction cups... Other than that, an amazing experience. The staff is extremely friendly and knowledgeable. The meeting events people were fantastic to work with and believe me, I worked with them closely for nearly a year planning! The food... well, absolutely delicious. We had our awards dinner here and everything was terrific. I especially liked the risotto with mushrooms... we had some folks request recipes... and the chef gave them to us! (I should have gotten that risotto recipe!)... The AV guy, Bill, from PSAV was just terrific to work with. Very professional and willing to make it happen. Through in a bunch of extras that just made all of our events (meetings, dinners, receptions) look amazing. There was one meeting person that while she was helpful and got the job done, seemed a little reluctant at times or negative... It's hard to explain. Last couple of years were at convention hotels and just about anything you ask for can happen (hanging banners, lighting effects, etc.). This is more of a boutique hotel and we knew that going in and we wanted a different feel this year and really enjoyed that aspect, but when I asked for certain things in the planning stages, rather than just saying "sure, we can make that happen." this one woman would hem and haw a bit first, "oh, I don't know. Let me check"... it always worked out, but if I wasn't stubborn or persistent I might have backed down sometimes and lost out on elements we wanted. Would have preferred a little more of a can do attitude sometimes. Also, shipped back a lot of boxes (about 22) and had them ready to ship at about 3:30 PM on Thursday. One box was heading to a trade show (held some samples of our product and our tablecloths for our booth) and the rest back to our offices. I'd been told they had a regular pickup around 5 or 6 PM by FedEx so I was confident that overnight delivery would get the box at the trade show on Friday in time for the set up for the show on Saturday. The box did not arrive until Monday and the staff at the show had to scramble and rent a non-logo'd set of tablecloths at an added expense. This was because for some reason the boxes did not go out until Friday and because it wasn't labeled for Saturday delivery it got delivered on Monday. No one at the hotel alerted me to the missed pickup. Also had an LTL pickup scheduled for some racking... our staff was in contact with the hotel and the LTL company all weekend and failed to get the 3 pallets picked up. Not sure yet about this miss.

One day of the event, one of our breaks was supposed to have some extra items because we were going on an offsite excursion and having a late lunch. I needed to fill up our team (86 people) to tide them over. The break enhancements didn't come out and they went into defensive mode pulling out BEOs to prove it wasn't there. Well, the fact was that they weren't on the BEOs I'd approved and I'd missed that, but I remember ordering them. They did try to help with other items from the kitchen, but what they had available was very minimal. When I decided to order pizza from a nearby restaurant, they had to get approval to allow me to bring in outside food without paying a fee! Are you kidding me? What happened to "whatever, whenever"? I guess, if you pay...

So, other than these small logistical misses, guest room lighting, and one staff person who was a little pessimistic at times, it was a great experience that I would do again in a heartbeat. The fact of the matter is, even with these few glitches some of which were my own fault, it was all pretty much behind the scenes. My guests never felt it. I looked like a star to my team and that works for me!

Room Tip: As the meeting planner and coordinator, I requested a room on the 4th floor so I'd be close to t...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you Kimberley for your feedback. This is a really useful review and provides some great insight regarding some of the areas that we excel in and where we can improve. We really enjoyed hosting your group and thank you for choosing W Atlanta-Downtown as the location for such an important meeting. I will make sure to pass on your kind words to our entire Meeting and Events team. I'm sorry we failed to deliver on our Whatever/Whenever promise and I plan to use these examples as opportunities for improvement. Please accept my sincere apology for the inconveniences. I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel and loved every minute of it. Pablo (The W Insider) and staff went above and beyond to ensure that our stay was perfect. At check in our room was upgraded without even asking or being charged. The view from our room was amazing,and the decor is very unique from other hotels. Valet was friendly and very punctual. I will be recommending this hotel to family and friends visiting the Atlanta area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I certainly appreciate your comments regarding the design of the hotel. We are very lucky to have Pablo-Andres on our team and are happy he made your stay exciting and memorable. We will definitely share this review with our entire team. We look forward to your return. Cheers!
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a night after a large conference at the Phillips Arena. We checked in that afternoon and then headed for the conference. The conference ran late into the night and upon return, the valet was woefully understaffed (surprising considering the proximity to the conference, and the fact that it was a conference hotel). This was a nuisance (waiting almost an hour to make it into the parking lot and get into the hotel) but not a huge deal. What was a deal breaker was the incredibly rude treatment by hotel staff and lack of professionalism. The harried valet had asked that we just leave our car where it was as he rushed to park the many others. Another employee,who was just standing around watching, told my friend (as I was getting my valet ticket) that he was going to have my car towed because it was in the way (where the valet had asked me to leave it). Ridiculous! Room service would not pick up the phone for almost an hour. One of my friends was locked out of his room because the hotel had given it to another guest (even though he had checked in earlier and left all of his belongings). When the poor man went to the room, he found my friends stuff. Security locked down the room (an appropriate response) but when we returned blamed my friend for the problem and told him he did not have a reservation (not sure how he had a key and his stuff in the room??!) It took an hour to get this resolved. Rather than admitting they had made a mistake and rectify the situation, the hotel gave him the runaround. And to finish our stay, while trying to get coffee the next morning, the girl waiting on us grumbled that she "couldn't wait for this day to be over". Very poor customer service. Not what I have experienced at other W hotels. I will never stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Thank you for your recent post. I’m sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations. This is certainly not the type of experience we intend to provide and I am very disappointed that we fell short on this particular stay. Please contact me directly at gmchristopher.cannon@whotels.com so we can discuss the details of your stay. Thank you again for your review. I hope to speak to you soon.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Just a short walk from Americas Mart. Staff was efficient in getting us down their in the morning. The shuttle driver, Travis, used local shortcuts and saved us tons of time (especially in pouring down rain).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Thank you for this review! We certainly appreciate your comments and we love being in central downtown too. I will share your feedback with Travis and the team. Come back and see us anytime. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I have never been to a hotel with such excellent service. I went there to view the room to ensure that I wanted to book it and received an excellent tour from Dawaun Sunkins. When I decided to book the room, he was able to upgrade my room to a corner suite. His help with planning this birthday surprise for my husband was above and beyond my expectations. I would return to this hotel over and over again simply because of Mr. Sunkins! With the upgrades and drink passes, the weekend could not have been better! Thanks Mr. Sunkins for making the weekend extremely special!!!!!!

Also Tanya from valet was especially kind. She helped me up to my room because of all my baggage!!

Room Tip: I was ont he 14th floor in a corner suite so that eliminated noise from people in the halls. The cor...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thecutestbabies
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to spotlight the service you received. I will be sure to share your comments with Dawaun, Tanya and the entire team. I’m glad your husband had a nice birthday surprise and we helped create a memorable experience. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. Until next time. Cheers!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 January 2014

All that you'd expect from a W Hotel in Atlanta. We didnt love being downtown because there isn't much to do at night. However we loved the food, the decor of the rooms, the comfy beds, our amazing view and the friendly staff. Well done!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank starviptrav33
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
We love hearing from our guests, so thank you for posting a review. We're so glad you enjoyed our property and the many amenities it has to offer. Additionally, our complimentary car service will transport you to many of the amazing restaurants and shops within a 2 mile radius of the hotel. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I turned 30 on 1/3 of this year and decided to celebrate in Atlanta and I'm so glad that I decided to stay at the W Atlanta Downtown while I was visiting. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. When my guest and I first arrived we were greeted by Tanya W. that worked with valet. My sister realized she had left a bag at the airport while the car was being unloaded. Tanya checked our bags at the front desk while we returned to the airport to get the missing bag (which we were able to find praise God.) At the welcome desk Dawaun S. was also very polite and helpful. After sharing with him that we were there celebrating my 30th bday he offered suggestions on some of the hot spots in the city we should check out, provided us with complimentary passes to a Opera and a drink pass for each of us to use in the hotel bar. Not only did the staff contribute to having a great experience but the rooms and ambience of the hotel are like none other. I look forward to staying here again and would recommend it to any one that's looking to have a good time while visiting Atlanta or even to folks that are in need of a staycation .

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Happy Belated 30th Birthday Shannon. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown for your special celebration. I’m so glad to hear that Tanya and Dawaun were able to make your stay even more memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back for another great experience!