“Our last stay was great & looking forward to this next one!”
Review of W Atlanta Downtown

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #59 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Our last stay in September was fantastic! So much fun.... Pablo (as always) showed us a great time! He is so busy, yet he makes us feel like we're his only clients. Frank, one of the W drivers is such a delight too! Every time we go back to Atlanta, it's like seeing old friends. We're leaving this week for another trip to ATL, and of course another stay at the W downtown. So, I'll let you know how it goes. They set the bar pretty high each time!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you Angela for your feedback. I’m so pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay, and that Pablo-Andres and Frank were able to help make your stay extra special. We look forward to having you back at W Atlanta Downtown!

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Impressed by the staff - prepared with beverages, smiling and helpful service, extended checkouts and extra toiletries when weather delays stranded me and colleagues. Went the extra mile on service and helping us get back to the airport.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review! I am glad we were able to meet your expectations during a challenging time for everybody, I am even happier to hear that you returned safely. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta-Downtown, we hope to see you again soon with improved weather.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

We stayed a few nights as my daughters attended the Passion conference. The hotel is one of the best I've stayed in. I appreciated the water refreshment at the front desk. I always picked up a cup before heading to our room. The room was spacious and the complimentary toiletries are of my fav brand (Bliss). We met Travis, who works at W, and we mentioned that we are here for the conference at Philips Arena and asked for directions and he informed us that the W had transport service! That was much appreciated as we were strangers to the Atlanta area. He was very gracious and helpful :) We had breakfast at BLT. It was delicious! The reason for not giving a five star rating is that our room was directly above the night club. The music was LOUD that Friday and Saturday night stay. I would ask for a higher floor the next time we travel to Atlanta. I also showered one day mid afternoon and there was no hot water, just lukewarm.. not sure why this was so.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room. Our room faced the driveway and front entrance, not sure if there is a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Thank you Anna for sharing your recent experience at W Atlanta Downtown. I’m glad you enjoyed the variety of features and the amazing bliss amenities in our guestrooms. I’m pleased you were able to experience BLT Steak – it’s a phenomenal restaurant and we are so lucky to have it on-site. It’s a nice perk to be so close to the Phillips Arena and many other attractions, I hope you enjoyed the conference. I will be sure to share your comments to Travis. I apologize for any disruption that may have come from Drinkshop, our 2nd floor craft cocktail bar. I can assure you that this is an uncommon occurrence. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

My first but def not last stay at the W downtown ATL ...first off its valet parking only but they are polite and fast which is key. Second the room is cozy in size but def is cool and sexy...the bathroom shower is awesome can you say rain showerhead with perfect water pressure... also has sep water closet in bathroom...the bed is very soft and housekeeping and in room dining are responsive, courteous and get it right the first time. Third, The lounge area in the lobby has nice ambiance its called the living room I went on thursdsay night and also popped my head on friday night and the served mixed drinks were nice and strong like they are supposed to be ...but the STAR of this hotel hands down is Lindy. Best customer service ever! Smart, warm, engaging, and extremely professional and takes care of business! I had many needs ...starting with boxes to be shipped from another W hotel, a presumed lost blackberry which they searched for without a second thought, a fedex label to be printed, etc. Need I say more? This was all handled with an efficiency I rarely experience. I was at the W for business but I was so impressed with Lindy that I will now stay there for personal trips going forward. Management take note Lindy is a great asset! Thank you W ...the W should be for Workin it!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Thank you Tamara for sharing your recent experience at W Atlanta Downtown. I’m glad you enjoyed the design of the hotel and found the rooms to be spacious and comfortable. Our staff truly takes pride in providing service that is beyond expectation. We are pleased you were able to experience this during your stay with us. Loandi is wonderful and I look forward to sharing your comments with her and the rest of our team. I hope we can continue to welcome you when your travels bring you to Atlanta. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

The hotel is nice, and in a decent location for downtown.

I decided to try this property instead of my usual INTERCONTINENTAL in Buckhead.

The lobby was sexy, and the staff was definitely "5 Star". The bar was fun, and the Steakhouse (BLT) was FANTASTIC.

The room was fine...hip, modern and comfortable.

Now for the problems:

1. My room faced the interstate...and it was NOISY! Any hotel that has a card identifying ear plugs in the side table to help you sleep has a problem! Who wants to wear ear plugs to sleep. No way!

2. There is no self parking (to my knowledge) at this property. I used the Valet...and i waited, and waited, and waited. I always called down from my room for my car....and then i WAITED. I spend more than 200 nights a year in hotels...and this property overwhelmingly wins my award for taking the longest time to retrieve my car. (Vegas is the only place that is worse...but that is only after a concert lets out...and their valet is FREE!).

I might come back, but i did miss my hotel in Buckhead....

Room Tip: Do not let them put you in a room facing the 75/85 interchange! Too noisy! Get a room facing the c...
1  Thank JamesE339

Thank you for your review! We sincerely appreciate your positive comments about the hotel. I’m glad you were able to enjoy some of our fabulous amenities including the Living Room and BLT Steak. Please know that we take guest comments very seriously so I was quite disappointed to hear about your valet experience. I shared your observations with our valet team. I sincerely hope you consider giving us another chance to demonstrate the level of service we strive to provide. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Great experience. Lively atmosphere, lots of fun. Dinner in BLT perfect! Check-in with Carley(sp?) was very sweet. Huge smile. Room was very comfortable. Slept very well and that was what I was really looking forward to. I need one of those beds.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Jay, Thank you for the wonderful review about your stay! We try our best to go above and beyond what is expected of us, even if it is something small like a huge smile. I will be sure to share your compliments with Carly and the rest of our team. I’m glad you had a good night’s rest, come back and see us soon.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I hosted my company's sales meeting at this hotel. I have gotten nothing but rave reviews of the hotel and meeting. The one complaint that seemed to be repeated over and over is that the rooms were not well lit. Apparently they are upgrading the guest room lighting this year. Also, the showers are glass and sort of in the middle of the room with no curtain. You can get a curtain upon request (which if you're traveling with kids or friends you'll need). I guess the curtains have suction cups... Other than that, an amazing experience. The staff is extremely friendly and knowledgeable. The meeting events people were fantastic to work with and believe me, I worked with them closely for nearly a year planning! The food... well, absolutely delicious. We had our awards dinner here and everything was terrific. I especially liked the risotto with mushrooms... we had some folks request recipes... and the chef gave them to us! (I should have gotten that risotto recipe!)... The AV guy, Bill, from PSAV was just terrific to work with. Very professional and willing to make it happen. Through in a bunch of extras that just made all of our events (meetings, dinners, receptions) look amazing. There was one meeting person that while she was helpful and got the job done, seemed a little reluctant at times or negative... It's hard to explain. Last couple of years were at convention hotels and just about anything you ask for can happen (hanging banners, lighting effects, etc.). This is more of a boutique hotel and we knew that going in and we wanted a different feel this year and really enjoyed that aspect, but when I asked for certain things in the planning stages, rather than just saying "sure, we can make that happen." this one woman would hem and haw a bit first, "oh, I don't know. Let me check"... it always worked out, but if I wasn't stubborn or persistent I might have backed down sometimes and lost out on elements we wanted. Would have preferred a little more of a can do attitude sometimes. Also, shipped back a lot of boxes (about 22) and had them ready to ship at about 3:30 PM on Thursday. One box was heading to a trade show (held some samples of our product and our tablecloths for our booth) and the rest back to our offices. I'd been told they had a regular pickup around 5 or 6 PM by FedEx so I was confident that overnight delivery would get the box at the trade show on Friday in time for the set up for the show on Saturday. The box did not arrive until Monday and the staff at the show had to scramble and rent a non-logo'd set of tablecloths at an added expense. This was because for some reason the boxes did not go out until Friday and because it wasn't labeled for Saturday delivery it got delivered on Monday. No one at the hotel alerted me to the missed pickup. Also had an LTL pickup scheduled for some racking... our staff was in contact with the hotel and the LTL company all weekend and failed to get the 3 pallets picked up. Not sure yet about this miss.

One day of the event, one of our breaks was supposed to have some extra items because we were going on an offsite excursion and having a late lunch. I needed to fill up our team (86 people) to tide them over. The break enhancements didn't come out and they went into defensive mode pulling out BEOs to prove it wasn't there. Well, the fact was that they weren't on the BEOs I'd approved and I'd missed that, but I remember ordering them. They did try to help with other items from the kitchen, but what they had available was very minimal. When I decided to order pizza from a nearby restaurant, they had to get approval to allow me to bring in outside food without paying a fee! Are you kidding me? What happened to "whatever, whenever"? I guess, if you pay...

So, other than these small logistical misses, guest room lighting, and one staff person who was a little pessimistic at times, it was a great experience that I would do again in a heartbeat. The fact of the matter is, even with these few glitches some of which were my own fault, it was all pretty much behind the scenes. My guests never felt it. I looked like a star to my team and that works for me!

Room Tip: As the meeting planner and coordinator, I requested a room on the 4th floor so I'd be close to t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you Kimberley for your feedback. This is a really useful review and provides some great insight regarding some of the areas that we excel in and where we can improve. We really enjoyed hosting your group and thank you for choosing W Atlanta-Downtown as the location for such an important meeting. I will make sure to pass on your kind words to our entire Meeting and Events team. I'm sorry we failed to deliver on our Whatever/Whenever promise and I plan to use these examples as opportunities for improvement. Please accept my sincere apology for the inconveniences. I hope we can welcome you back soon.