“Ok- feels a bit quickly built; not the best location”
Review of W Atlanta Downtown

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #65 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This feels like a very newly built hotel, and feels frankly a bit quickly built/ not the highest construction standards. Not that it's going to fall down, but feels a bit put together as a "kit" with the rest of the surrounding buildings which seem to be offices and apartments. It seems to be a newly developed area so things are just sprouting up.

The rooms are as woudl be expected at the W- nicely appointed but small and not the most conveniently designed.

In keeping with it being a newly developed/ redeveloped area, the few blocks around the hotel are a bit transitional- lots of open lots. it was just a little iffy walking to downtown or the Aquarium.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for your review. I sincerely appreciate your observations about the hotel. We do offer a complimentary car service that will transport you to some of the attractions within a 2 mile radius. So next time, let us take you to the Georgia Aquarium or any of the other many surrounding attractions. Thank you for your feedback and I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,112)

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Recently stayed at the hotel for 3 nights and had a very nice experience. The staff was extremely helpful and very courteous. One staff member stuck out above the rest and that was Lolita at the W Cafe. She was so friendly each morning and made my family and I feel at home. My 4 month old daughter could not stop smiling when Lolita held her, which gave us a little break to eat our breakfast. I did not use the valet service or any of the room service options, but others I spoke to had nothing but nice things to say. Thank you to everyone at the W for a wonderful weekend, especially Lolita!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you for sharing! I’m glad you had a chance to experience the W Café and our great selection of complimentary coffee and teas. Lolita is wonderful and I will be sure to share your comments with her. We look forward to your return. Cheers!

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Visited Atlanta and stayed with W hotel, the place is very tastefully designed and attractive. The staff are friendly and professional. The rooms are Cosy and felt relaxed and comfortable during stay. The rooms do not have tea coffee amenities ad provided on request. Also wi fi is on charges in room but free in reception areas. The atlanta key attractions like coco cola world, aquarium, Olympic park etc..are walking distance. Not many restaurants around so didn't get to try food. Overall good stay.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review! I’m happy to hear that you experienced great service. I’m glad you enjoyed the design of the hotel and found the rooms to be spacious and the bed comfortable. There is a great selection of complimentary coffee and teas available in the Living Room every day until 11 am as part of our W café. Additionally, our complimentary car service will transport you to many of the amazing restaurants and shops within a 2 mile radius of the hotel. We have also partnered with many of the surrounding restaurants to offer W free Wi-Fi connectivity. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I am currently a resident at the W hotel downtown Atlanta, and have been so for a couple of years. Every time i have visitors come in from our of town i have them stay at the W hotel downtown because it is more convenient. Each time the staff goes out of there way to assist me and my guest even when not asked to do so. I will only recommend this hotel to my business associates, friends, and family for the pure courtesy showna t every given moment. The AAA parking valet as well have been a pleasure. They assist me in every way possible. The stay for me or my guest would not be as plesant without there assistance. A special thanks to Abraham, Amodu, and Tunde for your professionalism and courtesy that you extend. if there was a award that was given out you all would be top contenders. THanks Mr. Banks

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you for your review Mr. Banks. We are happy that W Atlanta Downtown is your home and we love having you as our resident. I appreciate all your kind words about our staff – they work hard to provide exceptional guest experiences. I will be sure to share your kind words with Abraham, Amodu, Tunde and the rest of our team. Cheers!

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Although we live in the burbs of Atlanta, we decided to push the kids off to sleepovers and have a night downtown. We stayed at the W and it was perfect. We worked out in the gym to build up a thirst, then headed out for cocktails and Thai, returning back to the W bar for nightcaps. Really cool place, friendly, safe, convenient and thoroughly enjoyable.

Room Tip: We were in a corner studio that was just fantastic
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown as your getaway for the night. I’m glad you had the opportunity to explore our 16th floor with FIT and the amazing city views. I’m pleased we were able to make your stay enjoyable - we can't wait to host you again. Cheers!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed at this hotel for two nights on a business trip.

Upon arrival we were greeted cab side. They helped unload our luggage, made small talk with us, and welcomed us. Upon walking in, there was plenty of staff, all welcoming us. Check in was fantastic. Very friendly, gave us a newsletter, pointed out features of the hotel, etc. Very impressed!

Many of the previous reviews will indicate that the lighting is dim. Well, I would say yes it is, however it is perfect for the style of this hotel. This is what the designers and the hotel ambience is about. Dark walls, dark floor tile, modern furniture and "mood" lighting. Here's a hint - open your blinds, and sun shade. Then turn on all the lamps. There is "ambient" lighting behind the beds. Look for the black wall switches on the dark colored walls. Some have a toggle style dimmer; make sure it’s all the way up. We found turning on all the lights etc, there was plenty of light and we had no problems. - The TV remote is a little slow, but didn't find that to be a problem at all.

Overall the room was great. Bed and pillows are very comfy! I'd stay here again for sure. Here are some things that are well, I thought not so great.
1.) There is no hook up for your smart phone unless you bring an aux cord (head phone jack style on both ends). The radio is a turn dial, and while they tried to mix old with new, this was a fail. I can't remember the last time I had to "tune-in" to a radio station.
2.) Limited outlets. Only two outlets I could find, both of them were on lamps (1 each) there is another one though below the floor lamp. - With this being a newer hotel, they need to have charging strips to allow people to plug in lap tops, phones, ipads, etc. If you have a lot to charge, you'll have them all over the room unless you call them for a power strip!
3.) Thin walls. Didn't know think walls between rooms, however walls are thin (actually not insulated at all) between bathroom and bedroom. Also, very little insulation from hallway noise to room.
4.) Time for some paint touch up, cleaning! - The problem with these dark posh colors is you can see water stains, and dirt very easily. Anything dark is hard to clean, but if they want it dark the hotel needs to accept the responsibility in making sure every square inch is perfect. - The bathroom area had spots on the tile, areas on the walls need a fresh coat of paint, and I found lots of dust in parts of the room that would have gone unnoticed if they had used a different color. This is the biggest turn off to this place is that because of its dark color choices, it’s not as clean as it should be. If it had been cleaner, this would be a 5 star rating no problem.

If you get a chance to visit either bar, they are great! - The Drinkshop used to be a hoppin place, but now they changed formats. It’s pretty much a dive. No one there, very dull and boring. You're better off with the bar on the main level - they have a DJ on the weekends and play great music. Get an appetizer as it comes from BLT Steak in the hotel, great food!!

1  Thank RealisticMike

Thank you for your review! This review was very detailed and probably very helpful to other fellow travelers. I’m glad you enjoyed the design of the hotel and found the rooms to be spacious and the bed comfortable. Thank you for your feedback – we do appreciate your constructive comments regarding the hotel and look forward to discussing these suggestions with our team. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Normally, I stay at the Ritz but decided to try something new...and I am glad I did because for a week I had the greatest experience of my life. W Atlanta Downtown made me feel safe, pampered and well cared for. I recommend this as a great stay for those who are on business trips, romantic getaways, etc. I will say again the service was impeccable. The Staff was always helpful and able to assist with any question or problem that arose in seconds. For instance, I wanted a microwave for my week there. Well in minutes, they brought one up to my room. Also, I must say my favorite Staff member was Travis. This was my first trip to Atlanta and Travis made sure I got to my business symposium for the week in class and in style. I definitely will be staying at the W Atlanta Downtown in the future. Thanks Everyone! Gina

Room Tip: Very beautiful rooms with excellent layouts and very quiet.
1  Thank kitten0424
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you Gina for making us your new hotel of choice. I am extremely proud of our team and I will share your comments with Travis and the entire staff. We want W Atlanta Downtown to feel like your home away from home. We look forward to having you as our guest again. Cheers!