“The place to stay in ATL”
Review of W Atlanta Downtown

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #56 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Virginia
“The place to stay in ATL”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I've stayed at 3 different properties in ATL this summer and this is by far my favorite! The staff was great, spa was amazing, the pool is to die for and the rooms are uber trendy!

The hotel is just a step outside of the bustling area of downtown. This place was perfect for me. When I wanted to be in the mix, I just walked downtown. When I didn't, I just enjoyed the comfort of the hotel. Because it is a step outside of downtown, I had a gorgeous view of the downtown skyline.

I got to the hotel hours before check-in. A guy named Jason took my bags, I walked downtown and he called my cell phone when a room became available. Top notch service!

I was able to book an appointment for a manicure and pedicure the same day at the Bliss Spa upstairs. Corinna was my nail tech. I enjoyed a glass (or two) of champagne, cheese, crackers and fresh fruit while I received my pedicure. She did a great job. Be sure to check your key envelope for a coupon. I didn't see mine until after I received my spa treatment, so I was unable to use the coupon.

That night, I enjoyed the rooftop pool (picture attached.) The weather was great and the view was amazing.

They rooms were exceptionally clean, trendy and I loved the decor (pictures attached.) They've thought of everything. Room had a kaleidoscope, minibar, wine glasses, martini glasses, ear plugs. They've thought of everything!

This place was perfect for me. I look forward to staying here again in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you Tiffani for your comments. It’s a nice perk for W Atlanta Downtown to be so close to so many different downtown attractions, either by foot or by taking advantage of our complimentary car service. It’s also good to know that you were able to enjoy the view from your room and sample some of our other fabulous amenities including WETDECK and Bliss Spa. I appreciate your kind words about Jason and Corinna and I will be sure to pass along your comments. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I live approximately 24 miles from Atlanta and my husband and I decided to stay downtown for an International Convention we attended over the weekend at the Georgia Dome. I'm so glad we decided to stay at the W Atlanta Downtown. The hotel is perfectly located near the World of Coke, CNN Center, Aquarium, Phillips Arena, Centennial Olympic Park, World Congress Center and the Georgia Dome. We had such a wonderful stay. The beds are so comfortable, the staff is so friendly and gave us such a warm welcome at check-in. We had drinks and bites in the eclectic and whimsical living room, which is so cool. The food is so good in the living room and served pretty late in the evening (just make sure it's HOT when you receive it). The hotel is also 1.5 blocks from the Marta station. I never take Marta but did over the weekend and it was so easy to get around. If I need to stay downtown again, the W is my stay-cation location! It's great for a weekend trip and if you're attending an event, concert, business meeting or braves game downtown. Perfect for a couples retreat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor
Green Features: The hotel offers a green choice - you can received 500 starpoints with this option.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for this great review - sounds like you had a wonderful W experience. I certainly appreciate your comments regarding the design of the hotel and our fabulous talent. I’m glad you found your guestroom to be spacious and the bed comfortable. We couldn’t agree more with you about our central downtown location. We love it! We also love hearing that a guest had such an enjoyable experience that they will return again whenever their business travels bring them back to Downtown. Come back and see us anytime!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Preceded by its reputation, W was my choice. Requested cool corner room, upper floor, city view. Placed in standard room, parking deck view. Moved to a corner room with view of a/c and freeway. Decor is dark contemporary. Loved the twoperson shower. My room was dusty and had water seeping thru carpet, musty odor, beat up furniture, dusty headboard. Either room service was in a hurry or there is no quality control -- hmmm -- don't know what to think. Hotel was responsive to my every request though. If they had offered to move me to a better room I would have taken it.. but only reported the water problem to engineering. Why risk a worst room? Service at front desk is fabulous as are the beds. There are no coffeepots in the room. Valet parking is worth the $30 per night. Call down to have them get your car ready. The rooftop pool is wonderful as is the bar next to it. The DrinkShop is also very nice and the drinks were on the mark! The location is walking distance to everything downtown - Centennial Park, Aquarium, CocaCola, AmericasMart, etc.Overall it was a great experience, but the room itself was, and I hate to say it, a let down due to my fears being realized. Not indicative of the W.

Room Tip: Room 517 not so cool corner room - view of air conditioner and freeway. Be firm about what type room...
Green Features: I definitely like their environmentally friendly use of linens, towels, etc.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hello and thank you for posting on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your positive comments about the shower and our customer service. Thank you for taking the time to spotlight the service you received. I will be sure to share your comments with the entire team. Although we strive for a superior customer service experience in all aspects of the hotel, it seems like we fell short in some areas. We certainly want you to feel warm and welcome at W Atlanta Downtown. Cheers!
los angeles
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Have stayed at a number of hotels in the Atlanta area, from the middle of downtown to Buckhead and the W downtown is the best of them all. It's a short walk from this hotel to Centennial Park, the Aquarium, the Mart, and about 20 restaurants. Less than 30 mins to the airport it's easy to reach and has all the amenities of the best hotels (and there are about 25) within 2 miles. The staff and housekeeping have been upgraded this year and it shows. Everyone at the hotel is professional, friendly, and courteous. They know your name after a day and greet you like you're coming home. Free coffee in the morning in the Living Room is a great way to start the day and a nice touch for those who are on their way to work. No detail is too small this property and so long as they keep up the good work here this hotel will will continue to get better.

Room Tip: try to stay in a suite. it's over 1200 square feet and includes a large dining room table. woul...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your rave review of our hotel and our fantastic, one-of-a-kind staff. I believe it is our staff who truly make our hotel great and help create wonderful memories for guests just like you. We're so glad you share our love for Atlanta and our central location. It’s a nice perk to be so close to so many different attractions. You may also enjoy our complimentary car service that will transport you to many of the amazing restaurants and shops within a 2 mile radius of the hotel. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. Cheers!
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We have stayed her the last 4 markets and will continue to book here because they are AWESOME!!!
From the greeting when you arrive to the wonderful breakfast selection to the help shipping product back to Dallas...the service and accommodations are wonderful! Abrham, Travis and Pablo make it feel like home.

Stayed July 2014
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you Sandra so much for your loyalty and I am so pleased we continue to impress you every time. Thank you for taking the time to spotlight the service you received. Our team takes pride in our Whatever/Whenever service culture and I will be sure to share your comments with Abraham, Travis and Pablo. Until next time – cheers!
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Imagine our disappointment when we headed up to the 16th floor pool to relax and swim - only to find 200 of local 20-somethings crammed into the pool/bar with blasting music!!! I guess they forgot to mention that on Sundays in the summer they open the doors to the public for a pool party. Did they pay $359 a night? Don't think so. Also - our toilet ran all night (loudly)- Hotel needs fresh paint and cleaned up.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room - views are better. DON'T bring your kids
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Foxhunting5
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for your review. I genuinely appreciate your feedback. The pool parties on our Wet deck are usually fun and draw a small crowd but it is unfortunate that during your stay the parties grew beyond our expectation. This will certainly require us to give future opportunities more consideration. I can understand your disappointment and frustration when trying to relax and enjoy the pool during your stay. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back because I am confident we can provide you with a memorable experience. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown.
Florida
Reviewed 11 July 2014

stayed at this hotel the weekend of Memorial Day. There was nothing impressive about this property at all. My room was dusty and needed a good cleaning. I am actually appalled at the service and professionalism of the staff and the parking services. If you can't find any other place to lay your head for the night and you must stay at the W Downtown Atlanta, I caution you, don't let them park your car! I watched from my window and in-person, while waiting for my car, valet staff were not being careful or respectful of customer's cars. They brought one lady the wrong car. To top it all off they damaged mine, lied, and did not repair the damage to my recently purchased Range Rover. The valet manager on duty told me, that my car would be repaired and this sort of thing happens all the time. The first payment had not been made and now in addition to making payments, I need to pay out-of-pocket to repair damage to my bumper, damaged by the valet at W Downtown Atlanta. As of today, I still haven't heard back from the manager who was supposed to be addressing my customer service complaint submitted both online and by phone. He last words to me, "I will get back to you in about a week." 3 to 4 weeks and have passed and no word.

In addition, I was not offered any of the benefits of being a loyal member of the SPG program. I have been a member for a few years and whenever, I visit Atlanta my group stays at Starwood Properties and have also recommended them to colleagues, friends, and family and this is the kind of treatment I get.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. Our records indicate that there have been several conversations with the owner of the vehicle and that the claim is now closed. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly.