“What I expected”

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #59 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 June 2010

The W is trendy and very nice. The room really is amazing mainly because it is so different from your average hotel room. The staff were all friendly and I don't have anything bad to say about the hotel. However I do think you pay a lot of the ambience as there are not many extras included.
I tried to find somewhere outside the hotel for breakfast on Saturday morning, but I walked a 3 block radius and could not find anything. I ended up back at the W Express Cafe which is really just the BLT restaurant to go. I got 2 bagels with cream cheese and 2 orange juices for $25. The same menu is available for room service as well.
As much as those prices irritated me, I guess you don't come to a luxury hotel in downtown Atlanta and expect low prices.
Again the W is very nice and I had no complaints.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 June 2010

This hotel is somewhat ridiculous. For one thing it is utterly, completely, deeply purple and it tries very hard to be hip. Thus, it has a certain cartoonish charm, like a poser Barney the Purple Dinosaur. The rooms are dark, the mini bar is amazing, and yes there is an intimacy kit with a screw on it (clever). If you can handle a certain amount of obnoxious pseudo hipster posturing then you should really give this place a shot. At some point in my stay it became sort of entertaining, it was a lot like being around a very image concious friend, you want to tell them not to try so hard that you like them just the way they are. It is not often though that you hear Serge Gainsbourg while swimming on top of a building during a business trip, or that you leave your conference room for a moment only to realize that the hotel is playing Four Tet. So it does indeed get credit for making the business travelling experience more interesting and surprising. The restaurant in the hotel is excellent, staff is very friendly, and the amenities are wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 May 2010

This hotel was absolutely fantastic! Friendly and super helpful staff -- my room was great. I had to check in early which was no problem -- everything was fantastic. The Bliss spa was also great -- very relaxing, soothing and took away my wok worries! The manager was particiularly helpful with all my questions and needs!

MUST RETURN!! Definitley worth the money to stay here!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 May 2010

I usually prefer to stay in Hilton hotels when I'm traveling, but got a good rate at the W through a conference I was attending. I absolutely LOVED this hotel. The staff were incredibly attentive and efficient. The room was comfy and had everything I wanted. I loved the style of the place. The bartender was good. The food was good.

I would live at the W if I could...

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 April 2010

I have spent thousands of nights in hotel rooms of one type or another over the years, but this place was one of me more unusual properties I've ever visited. Like other reviews on this site I found the rooms dark beyond words - there was not enough light to read the complimentary paper that I received on one day, but not the other. The exposed shower/tub that other posters mentioned was indeed very disconcerting. I avoided the extensive array of items for sale in the room, but did have to pay $2.00 for a travel-sized bottle of hairspray, which was available from the front desk. My room had three different maintenance issues that were addressed by three different technicians in three different visits. My request to replace the heavy duvet with it’s unpleasant feeling cover required four phone calls in one day. They brought me a twin-sized comforter that had been washed so often that it was noticeably faded, but extremely soft. Too bad I was sleeping in a queen-sized bed.

Connected with my job duties, which meant spending considerable time in the lobby, I found the front desk staff to be polite and helpful, but was confused in recognizing exactly who were the staff members since they were fashionable dressed young people who were not in uniform nor wearing any type of name badges or other identifying insignia and were constantly shifting positions and duties.

The BLT restaurant food quality was good enough but expensive and did indeed have a limited menu. They also provide the room service for the hotel. A room service hamburger with fries costs $28.00 with tax and delivery fee included in that total. It did come with a fancy cover over the plate though. If the Mellow Mushroom restaurant next door had still been open at that late hour, I would have dined there.

The location of the W is on the outer fringes of downtown. I walked to the Hyatt on a couple of occasions as well as to the Georgia Aquarium. Being from Florida, the hills were a bit of a challenge, but I never felt unsafe on the streets. The MARTA station is only 5 minutes walk from the hotel and was very convenient for moving around the city and accessing the airport.

I can see the appeal of this type of hotel to a certain demographic, but personally I would not visit again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Auntie_C
Reviewed 24 April 2010

We had great couple of nights at the W. Great room and facilities including roof top pool. The BLT restaurant was also good. Although there are not many restaurants in walking distance the W transported us to an execllent italian near by using their Acura courtesy car. they even picked us up again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2010

While the hotel amenities are great with just as equal service, there is a catch to staying here. Of the 5 rooms my colleagues had booked, all but one had additional charges hacked onto the bill after we had left. In my case, bringing your own bottle of water, which was different to the ones supplied in room, still meant that this hotel could charge you for it as one of theirs. After 3 phone calls from the other side of the world and a promise to reimburse the charges I'm still waiting more than a month from that last call. I guess i'm the lucky one, as a colleague was charges for a bath robe, although I doubt it fitted into his bag, being that it was a already full laptop bag

Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business