“Great B&B in a convenient and uber charming neighborhood!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Atlanta
Sugar Magnolia Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 20 Atlanta B&B and Inns
New Hampshire
“Great B&B in a convenient and uber charming neighborhood!”
Reviewed 24 March 2010

We just (literally flew back to NH this morning) returned from a four night stay at the Sugar Magnolia and could not have been happier with our stay. The B&B is beautiful and well decorated but totally comfortable. We stayed in the Royal Suite and the two balconies and sunken jacuzzi tub are probably the highlights of that room. Comparatively, I think the Sugar Magnolia is a great value. It definitely has the feel of a traditional bed and breakfast, meaning one table in the dining room, some loss of privacy (the door to our room only locked from the inside, so no private room key, but we were not too worried about leaving when we did), but it was a great experience for us and the proprietor made us feel very welcome. It was a great introduction to Atlanta and if we were traveling the area again, I would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lilaeden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Charlotte, Nc
Reviewed 22 February 2010

Jim and Debi were wonderful hosts. Gave helpful suggestions on dining options and sights to see. Offered varied times for breakfast which was nice. Breakfast was good and conversation with other guests was outstanding! Sugar Magnolia is a wonderful older home with plenty of character. Room (Royal Suite) was huge and suited our needs perfectly. Will look forward to a return visit! Highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tarheelguy
USA
Reviewed 7 February 2010

We stayed two nights in December, and were very impressed with the friendliness and professionalism. Cozy, quiet, romantic. Breakfast was delicious, and they are located very close to the Little Five Points area. We highly recommend Sugar Magnolia and hope to stay there again some time.

1 Thank ceskyken
Minnesota
Reviewed 9 January 2010

Sugar Magnolia was the first B&B that we had ever stayed at and were a little unsure what to expect. Debi, Jim (and Josie) put us at ease right away and were very helpful during our stay. We felt like one of the family. We spent time reading and chatting in the parlor next to the largest Christmas tree I had ever seen inside a house. Perhaps now my husband won't give me a hard time next year about the size of our tree. Breakfast was superb. Based on this experience, we'll definitely try another B&B and if we're ever back in Atlanta we'd stay here again. The location made exploring Atlanta very easy.

2 Thank crazy4amnfinn
Southampton, UK
Reviewed 1 January 2010

I stayed at the Sugar Magnolia for three nights in November 2009. It’s a beautiful Queen Anne Victorian house, adorned with antiques, and set in the lovely Inman Park neighbourhood of Atlanta. As I did not have a car, and was hesitant of taking the train in the dark on my own (I arrived in the evening), I took a taxi there from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta airport. It took about 20 minutes and cost $ 30.

As soon as I arrived, I was welcomed and shown around by one of the friendly owners, Debi, who asked me what time I would like breakfast the next morning (served between 7.30am-9.00am), and if there was anything in particular I would like to eat. She and her husband Jim were more than happy to provide my chosen breakfast of fresh fruit, smoothies, oatmeal and herbal teas. They were also very helpful in recommending places to go, and printed out street maps and MARTA train routes, to help me find my way around.

My room was delightful: on the first floor and called “The Aviary”, it was decorated with birds and had painted birds on the ceiling. The bed was beautifully made up and was very warm and comfortable. There was also a television, dressing table, bedside table and two chairs in the room, as well as a number of antiques. I had a private toilet with large shower room, which was just across the hallway, and bathrobes were provided. On the landing there was a cordless phone that I was free to make national calls with in my room, a rocking chair, and a kettle and sachets of teas, herbal teas and coffees. There was also a sitting room downstairs for guests, next to the guests’ dining area. Everything was very clean

I could come and go as I pleased, and was given a front door key. On my first day I walked to Little Five Points (turn left out of the B&B), which was a very lively area with lots of shops. It was a beautiful walk in the sunshine, along streets lined with beautifully-coloured trees, many other Victorian houses and a park. It took about 45 minutes. I am particularly interested in raw and living foods (I was in Atlanta for the Graduation Party and free seminar at the Living Foods Institute), and was happy to stumble upon a great little smoothie bar called Arden’s Garden.

The next day I walked downtown (turn right out of the B&B), and visited Martin Luther King Jn’s birthplace. This was a much different walk to the previous day’s, in that the area was partially industrial and looked rather rundown. Debi assured me it would be safe to walk, as long as I avoided certain streets. She marked these out on a map for me. I took about half an hour to walk downtown, stopping off on the way at a cute little fruit house, LottaFrutta, recommended by Jim.

Once downtown, the MARTA train station was easy to find and the route easy to navigate. It was also very cheap. It reminded me of the London underground, although on a much smaller scale. I took a trip to "Lov'n It Live", a living foods restaurant in East Point. On the way back, I got off at Inman Park station, which was closer to the B&B than downtown, and on the “nicer side”.

Although it was fun to travel on foot and by MARTA during the day, it was quite time-consuming. With my own transport, I would have been able to see a lot more, as the B&B is very conveniently situated and everything would have been reached in minutes. Also, I preferred to use taxis in the evening, as it was dark by 6pm, which worked out to be quite expensive ($15 each way to R. Thomas Deluxe Grill in Peachtree Street). However, as I was only in Atlanta for a short time, and the places I wanted to see were too good to miss, it was worth it.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Sugar Magnolia, and would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a quiet, comfortable stay in characterful surroundings.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank SweetSheep
Washington DC Metro Area
Reviewed 8 December 2009

What a gem! If you are looking for comfortable accommodations that have some character and aren’t the usual sterile corporate hotel atmosphere, this is definitely it. Located in Inman Park, a neighborhood a few blocks from the MARTA station of the same name, this place has enormous Southern charm, is very comfortable and welcoming.

Debi and Jim and wonderful hosts who will happily share the local color and stories with you, and you cannot help but love Josie. (She's a tornado mostly contained in a senior citizen's body.) We stayed in The Royal Suite which was spacious, appointed with lovely antiques. It has a King size bed (I have found this hard to come by in most B&B’s), quite comfortable with fine cotton linens and fluffy pillows, There's a large bathroom off the bedroom with an oversized Jacuzzi tub and a vanity with two sinks, very handy for us. A big walk-in shower with a rain-shower head, generous towels, lots of hot water (it does take a bit for the hot water to arrive though), refreshing and warming after a day of touring Atlanta in the winter .

There is a fine balcony off the suite that overlooks Edgewood Avenue, the main street, plus an ample deck with a little fountain off the bathroom in the rear of the house. We didn’t spend time outside though because it was very chilly. If it had been just a little warmer both these features would be the perfect place to sit and relax and enjoy a soda, a beer, or bottled water, all of which are available for guests in the small refrigerator in the dining room.

Lots of houseplants that spend the summer outside on the porches, decks and balconies had been brought indoors to save them from freezing; all were lush and well cared for, a welcome complement to the rooms during the winter when all the trees are bare.

You’ll be treated like a treasured guest when you are at the Sugar Magnolia B&B, with warmth and personal accommodation. During our stay we had a couple of friends who live locally that we wanted to visit with. They came to the Sugar Magnolia, and we sat in the big comfortable parlor, complete with upright piano you’d be welcome to play if you wanted, and enjoyed the lovely surroundings and a HUGE fresh-cut Christmas tree all decorated and lit up. We also wanted to share the bottle of fine wine we’d brought, so to further our enjoyment Debi cheerfully got nice stemware for us to use. We just hung out for a while before it was time to go to dinner enjoying the wine and good conversation and smell of the Christmas tree – very relaxing, just like being in your own home would be.

Be sure to try out the massage chair in the little room off the parlor! It is quite an experience. Very therapeutic for your back and legs after doing some walking.

Notes re Atlanta: We took MARTA everywhere, and we walked a lot and that was very pleasant in the cold, crisp December air. (We did not rent a car.) Especially recommend the High Museum of Art. Always something excellent to check out there. When we visited, the featured exhibitions was “Leonardo – the Hand of the Master”, which will only be seen at the High and at the Getty in L.A. Atlantic Station is great for shopping, good wine & bistro food at The Grape there, and a truly European coffee bar at Café 19. There is a free shuttle from the “Arts” MARTA station that runs frequently between the two locations.

For a fab lunch check out “Thumbs Up”, just a few blocks away from the B&B. Jim turned us on to this place the last day of our stay. (Also, if you are into “bling”, spectacular jewelry at reasonable prices, check out “Seven 74” about 2 blocks past “Thumbs Up”, even open Sundays.) Jim also recommended “Shaun’s”, a lovely restaurant with plenty of character and a very good dinner menu featuring lots of locally grown/made foods. It’s just across the street from the Inman Park MARTA station, and an easy pleasant walk back to the Sugar Magnolia, good after a big supper. Terrific shrimp and grits, a fine crab cake too. “Wisteria” is very good for dinner also, and it’s little further away. A popular place, as is Shaun’s, so make reservations.

We cannot wait to come back to the Sugar Magnolia B&B for another visit!

3 Thank VenusDWino
Atlanta Georgia
Reviewed 2 December 2009

My wife and I found it necessary to be out of our home for a night. We chose Sugar Magnolia as a place to stay. We had never stayed there before. We found it lovely, comfy and very easy to be in. The owners were responsive, friendly, professional and accommodating. The homes appointments and amenities were appropriate and welcoming. We do not hesitate in recommending this lovely old home and its delightful owners to anyone.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple