“Identity Crisis”

Ranked #1 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
Atlanta, Georgia
“Identity Crisis”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

As an Atlanta native who travels globally, I was left grieved by my latest stay with the St. Regis. It no longer resembles in flare or appeal what it once did. From all outward appearances, one could surmise their latest decorator not only lacks in elegant and traditional taste (which the Regis intially had) and instead has corrupted our fabulous new landmark with the notion that he/she is decorating for his college dorm or bawdy nightclub.

What was once a family passtime in a fabulously rich and warm tea area for visiting, has now turned into something short of a densly populated jungle meets Ryan steakhouse style seating. I was completely aghast. Black Roman columns now reside along with coffee tables not suitable for tea, but rather have the appearance of something out of a Buford Hwy flea market.

I am truly saddened that the Regis, has allowed such a lapse of integrity with regard to satisfying the guest as opposed to the decorator. My recent visit including a stay in one of their fabulously appointed Suites, thank God they haven't pillaged the appeal and warmth of my room. I opted to stay in my room and visit the pool to avoid the bright, nightclub decor of what used to be a welcoming abode.

I'm not sure if the new decorator/management team earned their undergrad in Botany, but judging from the sickly, cheap, college dorm like, palm trees in the foyer, it appears there is an affinity for over populating every square inch with something green. Appalling.

Thank God the service has not suffered the same alterations. If I wanted the W, I would have booked the W. Other than our rude maintenance man, our stay was met with impeccable customer service. I am simply positively disgruntled (obviously) by the choices that have been made at the expense of taste and elegance. Something I have always affiliated with a Regis. Not so in Atlanta any longer.

Room Tip: Suites are beautifully appointed. We opted to stay in our room or visit the pool, as opposed to the...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
StRegisAtlanta, General Manager at The St. Regis Atlanta, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
Dear monica m,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. While I regret to hear of your disappointment in our newly appointed Astor Court décor, I am pleased to know you enjoyed your accommodations in one of our suites. Please accept my sincere apologies for the service you received from our engineering team. Your comments will be shared with members of our senior management to ensure this type of service is not repeated in the future. I do hope you will allow us another opportunity to extend our signature hospitality again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Arabic first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Stayed at the St. Regis for 2 nights. We had a superior room which was fine for our needs, it was plenty big. The furnishings are very comfortable, luxurious and well maintained. The bathroom is delightful. Only bummer is that there isn't a coffee/hot water maker in the room.

We took advantage of the pool both days of our stay. We were looking forward to relaxing and soaking up the sun. The pool area is lovely. The staff is attentive and courteous -they'll make certain that your water glass is always full. The food at the pool is good and the drinks too (and not outrageously priced). In August, the pool gets a full day of sun cover (well, some spots in the early morning and then in the late afternoon get covered with shade). No problems getting a chair on a Friday or Saturday, just get there early, well before noon (then it starts to get busy).

The valet service was wonderful and QUICK, no fuss to get you in and out all day/night. There is complimentary coffee tea service in the upstairs lounge (2nd floor). We happened to stumble upon it. Not sure how anyone knows to go there. There were no hotel directions in the room, so if you want to know where to go, or what time services are open, you will need to make a call. Speaking of which, we loved that you could program everything from the phone.

The staff were all well trained and helpful. Just what you expect from a 5 star hotel.

Its not the easiest property to get to in Buckhead as it is not directly off of the highway. The other luxury hotels that are off of the highway are also in areas that are highly congested. If you haven't been to the area before, you might want to take that into consideration. Traffic is a nightmare in other parts of Buckhead, but no worries about traffic near the St. Regis.

We will be back!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank funandrelaxation
StRegisAtlanta, General Manager at The St. Regis Atlanta, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Dear funandrelaxation,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the St. Regis Atlanta. We sincerely appreciate your recognition. Our Pool Piazza provides a tranquil escape for guests and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit. I hope you will choose to visit the St. Regis Atlanta again soon.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed 17 August 2012

My good fortune has allowed me to occasionally stay at some of the best hotels in major cities in the United States and Western Europe. The service at The St. Regis Atlanta is as good as any I have ever had, and better than some other exclusive hotels.

My room was well appointed and comfortable. The lighting was a bit too dim for me to comfortably read at night. That is my only deduction, leaving the room score at 9.5 and the service at a perfect 10.0

Scott Forbes
Nichols Hills

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank PIScottForbes
Dear PIScottForbes,
I wish to extend my sincere gratitude for sharing your recent review of The St. Regis Atlanta. I appreciate your comments on the service you enjoyed as our guest. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back soon.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I went to Atlanta on a business trip, arrived at the hotel around 10pm and checked out at 8:30am. During my short stay I had a great time. The check-in process was smooth, the room and bathroom was clean, and the bed was very comfortable. One aspect that surprised me was that there was a TV behind the mirror in the bathroom so I could watch the news while getting dressed. During my stay I ordered room service and the food was some of the most expensive, but also most delicious that I have had in a hotel. The one issue that I had was a strange noise coming from the bathroom (ventilation fan?), this made it a bit hard to get to sleep but otherwise it was nice. Given that it was past midnight and I was exhausted, I didn't bother to inform the hotel. Aside from that, my short stay was perfect.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear BlueGT,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased to hear your overall experience was excellent and I truly appreciate the feedback you have provided. I hope that you will consider staying with us again the next time you are in Atlanta.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We have been to the St. Regis Atlanta a few times in the past for one night at a time. This is the first time we have stayed longer. Our original plan was to stay 2 nights but since we were treated so nice and the time allowed us, we stayed an extra night. Our room was upgraded each night because we are platinum starwood and because they are not stingy with their rooms!! Because it was available, we ended in the Astor Suite overlooking the pool with a huge balcony facing the sunset. There are only 3 of these rooms all facing the same direction. Having the wonderful balcony we opted to eat in the room more. Our breakfast outside the second morning was to write home about. Eggs Benedict and a huge bowl of fruit. Very very good! Nothing at all to complain about here. 5 star in the inth degree. Service, quality and professionalism is the norm here. I entertained some local friends at dinner and up in our room and we were treated extra special. Our late night butler, Quentin brought extra little sweet treats to our balcony thanking us for our business and to make our stay special. The beds are extra comfy with the amazing linens and soft pillows. You sink into the beds! The soaps and shampoos are probably the main reason I like to visit. Showers are powerful and spa like. I can't say enough good things about this place. If I had to say a negative thing, the Astor bedroom faces a the balcony window and the TV is on the left side. So if you want to watch a movie in bed, you have to turn on your left side and the other person has a hard time watching it too. But a small bedroom is not a big deal. There is another TV in the living room. The room was great! We also stayed in the St. Regis Suite. This was much bigger but no balcony in our room. I don't know if other St. Regis suites have balcony. I think there are 19 of them. Beautiful room! One and a half baths. This hotel is pricy pricy but it is worth it. I give this hotel a great review!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank shooflyfarm
StRegisAtlanta, General Manager at The St. Regis Atlanta, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Dear shooflyfarm,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the St. Regis Atlanta. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the comforts of your guest room and the service you were provided. We appreciate your loyalty and I hope your family will return to our address again very soon.
Dallas
Reviewed 10 August 2012

The St. Regis is one of the best hotels in Atlanta and a favorite of movie stars and recording artists alike for a number of reasons:

1. Warm service: the staff of the St. Regis, whether its at the front desk, the valet, the bar, security, housekeeping, etc clearly takes great pride in their jobs and makes you feel very welcome. There is a sense of everyone going the extra-mile without every being asked. It is, generally, a model of professionalism.
2. Beautiful rooms: the rooms are generally quite beautiful, spacious and comfortable. If you get upgraded to (or book) a suite, they are very ridiculous.
3. The bar: one of the better bars in Atlanta and, depending on the night, likely to be crowded with the wealthy, the hopeful and more than a few women targeting both (the Ritz Carlton is evidently starting to attract more of the high-end "escorts" but the St. Regis bar still gets its fair share). The waitresses and bartenders are great and the food (especially the shortbread flatbread) is several steps above standard bar food.
4. Pool and gym are extremely nice perhaps in part because they also serve the Residences at the St. Regis (very expenses condos on the higher floors of the hotel). During winter, the St. Regis turns the pool area into an ice skating ring. Also note that on the same floor as the pool and across from the spa is a small room with poker tables, tvs and a pool table (a very nice way to unwind)

So, overall, excellent. But...not perfect. At the level the St. Regis operates, little details some time stand out such as...

1. There have been problems with rooms. Occassionally one will hear a little (some times a *lot*) of noise from the rooms around you. Occasionally, the rooms will not have been cleaned properly before you check in. Every now and then there are issues with the plumbing. Also, at night, as part of turn down service, the staff puts on rather loud classical music in the rooms. And if a person isn't in said room or doesn't return to their room until very late, you will be hearing it through the walls.
2. The restaurant is hit or miss. Have had good meals and... a couple of meals that were so bad with service that was so slow and inept that I haven't had a big desire to go back (on the flipside, room service is always very good).
3. The bar is usually great but... you will occasionally have to navigate your way around some *very* drunk businessmen and *very* aggressive escorts.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are very nice. The suites are very big (1,000 SF with ridicously big bath...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank GJK11
StRegisAtlanta, General Manager at The St. Regis Atlanta, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear GJK11,
I appreciate the feedback you have provided. These items will be shared with our leaders and allow us to improve the level of service we provide to our guests. I look forward to the next opportunity The St. Regis Atlanta has to express the level of service our signature brand is renowned for and hope that you will allow my staff to create a bespoke experience for you in the near future.
Chicago
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My wife and I had a lovely time at the St Regis. The service was phenomenal, helpful and extremely thoughtful, pool was delightful, and rooms were lovely. My only 'gripe' is that the shower was ordinary (considering everything else was extraordinary) but in the grand scheme of things, not a bid deal at all. Great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EliCohen
Dear EliCohen,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the St. Regis Atlanta. We strive to provide uncompromising service to all our guests and I am pleased to hear you experienced this first hand. I look forward to having you and your wife as our guests again in the near future.