“All style, no content”

Ranked #103 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
Banbury
“All style, no content”
Reviewed 9 November 2011

This hotel is in a good location, and the staff are pleasant and friendly. That's the good news.

Whoever designed the rooms and decor needs to go back to college - it is dreadful. The room in which I am writing now - in the dark - is south facing. From dawn until about 4pm it is either in blackout or it is an oven. This is made worse by the fact that the single curtain across the room-wide floor to ceiling window only opens in one direction, and as a result it is impossible to allow light in while shading yourself from the sun. And so we play pit-pony all day - horrible.

The rooms are, I suppose, visually stylish, but as a career hotel resident (>150 nights a year) I hate stylish rooms. What I want is somewhere to sit -comfortably - and somewhere to work - comfortably - and lights IN THE CEILING so I can see what I'm doing.

The rooms here are appalling in my humble view, and I would not stay here - ever - by choice. There is no coffee maker in the room - you can have one if you call and ask for it, although there is free coffee in the lobby from 0600 to 1000. This is fine, but if you are in from Europe you are wide awake and wanting to work at about 0400, and unless you happen to have read the letter enclosed with your room key (honestly, who does?) you won't now about the coffee machine on request.

I was kept awake most of my first night because of a party in the room next door, as the walls are paper-thin. Calling reception, I was told that they would send security up. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, but the noise continued, and I am still waiting for a manager to contact me and say something about the disturbed night. I don't think the night staff even logged the problem. This epitomises the problem with this hotel - lots of style, but the basics of being a hotel are not even attempted.

Horrible - please let this evening come quickly so I can get out of here!

Room Tip: Find another hotel. As a last resort, ask for a North-facing room.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
San Clemente, California
Reviewed 6 November 2011

This W has a great location in midtown, yet the property could use a few improvements. Our rooms were south-east facing and although there was a double-blind/curtain set up, the rooms turn into an oven by mid morning. Considering this was mid October and the A/C was on full blast, I hate to think what it would be like in early August.

What is it with hotels having the "half glass wall" shower curtain/cover? It always reminds me of hotels in europe which also make no sense. Trying to be cool and modern turns into a bathroom floor that is soaked with water. Stupid. Pure and simple.

The fitness area is solid. Great equipment and amenities. Yet the WiFi as people have noted is fairly poor. If it was free, that might be an excuse, but in this day and age it's pretty pathetic when a Hampton Inn has better internet connections at half the price.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank SoCALcanuck
Boston, MA
Reviewed 5 November 2011

There is a lot to like at the W. The rooms are roomy and nice, the gym is well-equipped and the location is great. Being there on business, though, I found it less than ideal. On the 19th floor there was no WiFi reception at all. The network cable in the room was dead. Fortunately I have a MiFi 3G networking device but if you plan to work from your room, this can be a huge issue. The hotel maintains the W attitude. As a result hallways are dark and even at 2 am there is loud music blasting across public areas.
In summary - not bad, but not ideal for business travelers.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to escape the noise. Stay away from the elevators too.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Several friends, my husband & I were staying at the hotel while in town for a wedding. We were all very happy with the service at the hotel. In the months before our stay, I called and spoke with the front desk and catering manager several times. All calls were handled courteously and promptly, and emails were answered within hours. During our stay, we had an issue printing our boarding passes for our flight and the concierge took care of everything. I had our wedding gift sent ahead via UPS & it was waiting for us upon check-in. We ordered room service one night and it was ever so slightly incorrect. The room service waiter was very apologetic, replaced our meal quickly and graciously did not charge us. The valets even asked how the wedding was when we returned from the reception.

The room was well-appointed with ample desk space for those of us who had to work during the trip and a chaise for visitors. The minibar was fully stocked although the prices were ridiculous (although that's to be expected). I especially liked the complimentary Bliss toiletries in the bathroom & LOVED the convenience of Bliss Spa in the hotel. Several restaurants / bars also within the hotel as well as access to a small food court-like area and within walking distance to many attractions. The citrus water from the bar (coffee was available as well) was a nice bonus early in the morning. The elevators operate with a room key only, which is a nice added safety feature. Oh, and I liked the added touch of changing the mats in the elevator throughout the day (good morning, good afternoon, etc.). Silly, but it's all in the details! I gave this hotel 4 stars instead of 5 for two reasons: the bathrooms only had a shower, no bathtub, which I prefer & the lighting at the vanity area outside the bathroom is dismal. It is virtually impossible to see anything, much less apply your makeup. For many travellers, neither of those slight flaws would matter.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This is a very good mod decor hotel in midtown Atlanta, within walking distance (a little under a mile) of the High Art Museum and the Botanical Gardens. In addition our room was comfortable, with a great view---we were on the 22nd floor. The staff couldn't have been more accommodating, printed our boarding passes for us and, although the concierge never seemed to be around, everyone else answered any questions we had. Jean Georges Spice Market restaurant is connected to the hotel, great for dinners and breakfasts. We were disappointed that there didn't seem to be any place in the hotel for snacks of light lunches during the day, but they connect directly with a food court at the adjacent building. On the corner there is a really good Thai restaurant, Tamarind Seed. All in all, we recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Get a high floor with a great view.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My wife and I spent the night last Sunday at the W Midtown. We prefer this area over Buckhead for sure. The W Hotel is just a couple of blocks from Piedmont Park so we enjoyed walking our dog for a couple of hours around this great park on a beautiful October Sunday afternoon. We were upgraded to a suite which was very cool. Great bed, great skyline view.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This hotel is situated in Midtown and although the exterior of the building looks older the inside appears to have been renovated fairly recently. It is very modern feeling (W-style) and houses several restaurants/bars that are fantastic and very popular. Seems like a popular place for weddings and wedding parties as we saw at least five during our one-night stay! Not as convenient to other restaurants and nightlife in the Midtown area but is only a few blocks from the MARTA which makes it very easy to get to from the airport and also to get to other Atlanta hotspots.
A few months before our stay apparently a woman died and another was critically injured falling out of one of the hotels windows. We were told that when they renovated the hotel they did not bring the floor to ceiling windows up to code and this was the cause of the accident. I don't know if they have done so since but we definitely didn't get anywhere near the windows "just in case". Other than that our room was great, we had rice krispie treats and fresh cucumber water waiting for us at check-in and enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple