“Cool if you like grunge”
Review of W Atlanta Midtown

W Atlanta Midtown
Ranked #102 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
Anaheim, California
“Cool if you like grunge”
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Everyone says the "W" hotels are cool. So it's like the Emperor's New Clothes - no one wants to be the one to say "I don't see it."

The lobby is ugly - industrial concrete and low dim lighting, kinda like a parking garage in terms of warmth. Corridors are dim, and so are the rooms. Low lighting may be appealing in a club, but I want some decent lighting in a hotel room. Dark carpet and black fixtures add to the vampire feeling.

Bed is comfy; bathroom has only an open shower (cold) with no bath. A vanity with magnifying lighted mirror (didn't work) sits just outside the bathroom.

Housekeeping was abysmal. They made the bed and that was it. No attempt to wipe down the bathroom counter, push in a chair, or neaten up at all. Saved me the trouble of tipping but it was a drag to come back to a messy room. Maybe that's part of being a "cool" hotel.

$30 per day for valet parking; $23 if you park your own ride. Friendly doormen. Easy to walk to a number of good restaurants close by, and easy freeway access. I like the location but will look for a less grungy place in midtown on my next visit.

1 Thank TNTGL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Santa Ana, California
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Swanky - yes, but that is all. Had a huge event here and spent THOUSANDS. A simple breakfast order was served with a hair and attitude. "Whatever is your wish" my butt (I would say the other word, but I am not allowed to on this site). I had room service repeat my 5 orders 2 times and everything was wrong. Takes them forever to get anything done. Will never stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher the better for noise reasons.
1 Thank annetted18

Travellers are raving about these Atlanta hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I have stayed at this hotel for the last 5 years and me and my wife have never had an issue. In fact, I have read many mixed reviews and always leaned toward the better ones due to my great experience with the hotel. My last stay here however broke that streak. I was driving to Florida with my family (we just had a daughter) and we decided to Pre-Pay several months in advance a room with 3 beds as we would traveling with my mother. Again, i cant stress enough that several months in advance I PRE-PAID for the room which online says NO REFUNDS and this reservation is GARAUNTEE! that GARAUNTEE promise along with my previous experience left me at ease.
The day finally comes and we arrive at the hotel around 9pm and had reservations at South City Kitchen (see my review on this place, its the best in Atlanta in my opinion) at 9:30. Well upon check in the man at the desk told me my room for a king was ready and I showed him my printed out confirmation that clearly says (2 Queen Bed Room). After a long discussion with the man and the hotel manager, they told me they did not have my room. This was very disappointing. I am a long time Starwood Preffered Guest member and a long time loyal lodger at this particualr hotel. Despite my complete anger and disapointment (tired from driving all day, crying baby, etc) the manager did manage to save our trip and get us accomodations at the Loews nearby (See my review on that, WOW!). Due to the confilct we never did make our reservation at South City Kitchen but we did get a place to sleep for the night.
For the record the manager did do his absolute best and I am very gratefull for his proffesionalism and generosity. If they didnt reach out and offer to set us up somewhere else many letters and phone calls to Starwood Corporate office would of been made but the manager did do a great job of hanging on to a would be former Starwood member. It was unfortunate and disapointing and although I do respect the level of proffesionalism I received from the hotel manager, its hard for me to take that risk again as I will continue to make this trip every year and would not to risk another night like this on a family vacation.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank romtravel
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Spent a weekend during golf tourney. Amazing service, great clientele. Bartenders were extremely knowledgeable and eager to try new things. Pool area had great veiws of the city. Rooms were a bit smaller than used to at a W but all in all it was exactly what I expect from a Starwood property and will stay again my next trip.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 November 2011

This is a very sleek and modern hotel. There is not a front desk, just two independent check-in stations. I thought this gave a really cold first imipression of the hotel. The hotel is decorated nicely, but the same theme is throughout. It would have been nice to see some variation.

We happened to be there for Halloween. When we came back to the hotel, there was a huge party in the lobby bar. It was an interesting show - almost a freak show - of costumes. It kept us entertained for a few minutes. Unfortunately, the sound from the lobby bar carried upstairs to the 11th floor.

Would recommend this hotel for the young college aged kids or early 30's.

Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Vancouver
Reviewed 10 November 2011

This hotel is firmly set in the "W" mode (which can be a good thing). The well appointed room and friendly staff made up for a wifi in room connection that refused to work. To be fair, this was a minor hassle - the internet charge was removed from my bill and the staff offered to send a techie to fix the problem (not necessary as the lobby level had one hour of complimentary wifi access which worked fine). The location is good for the arts area although major shopping and restaurants seemed be a bit further away (albeit a pleasant walk). The hotel also provides a complimentary shuttle service for the area. All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Presuming your luggage is light, take the MARTA train from the airport and get off at the Art Centre...
Banbury
Reviewed 9 November 2011

This hotel is in a good location, and the staff are pleasant and friendly. That's the good news.

Whoever designed the rooms and decor needs to go back to college - it is dreadful. The room in which I am writing now - in the dark - is south facing. From dawn until about 4pm it is either in blackout or it is an oven. This is made worse by the fact that the single curtain across the room-wide floor to ceiling window only opens in one direction, and as a result it is impossible to allow light in while shading yourself from the sun. And so we play pit-pony all day - horrible.

The rooms are, I suppose, visually stylish, but as a career hotel resident (>150 nights a year) I hate stylish rooms. What I want is somewhere to sit -comfortably - and somewhere to work - comfortably - and lights IN THE CEILING so I can see what I'm doing.

The rooms here are appalling in my humble view, and I would not stay here - ever - by choice. There is no coffee maker in the room - you can have one if you call and ask for it, although there is free coffee in the lobby from 0600 to 1000. This is fine, but if you are in from Europe you are wide awake and wanting to work at about 0400, and unless you happen to have read the letter enclosed with your room key (honestly, who does?) you won't now about the coffee machine on request.

I was kept awake most of my first night because of a party in the room next door, as the walls are paper-thin. Calling reception, I was told that they would send security up. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, but the noise continued, and I am still waiting for a manager to contact me and say something about the disturbed night. I don't think the night staff even logged the problem. This epitomises the problem with this hotel - lots of style, but the basics of being a hotel are not even attempted.

Horrible - please let this evening come quickly so I can get out of here!

Room Tip: Find another hotel. As a last resort, ask for a North-facing room.