“Does W stand for weird?”
Review of W Atlanta Midtown

W Atlanta Midtown
Ranked #106 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Stayed at W Atlanta Midtown this week with my husband who was in Atlanta on business. This hotel seems to pride itself on being sleek and modern, but we found it dark and somewhat "tacky". Lobby and elevator areas were dimly lit and the walls and carpet were black, grey and dark blue. It took 2 tries to get into a room. At the door to the first room we were given, the card-key would not work. My husband went down to have cards reset, but they still didn't work. After two tries, they said the battery on the card entry to the room must be dead, so they gave us another room -- never offered to come up to the room with us to assist. Room was okay, but seems they tried too hard to be "modern" with tacky wallpaper -- think pink, black, silver flowers -- shiny, black furniture -- think cheap looking. They have 'for sale' snacks, drinks, etc. all over the desk and totally stuffed in the mini-frig. Prices were crazy - $5 for a small bottle of water, $5 for a very small pack of Pringles. And the sheets were terrible -- cheap feeling and the bottom sheet was not fitted so they would not stay tucked in.

On the good side, the valets at curbside were excellent -- very personable and professional.

A better value that we have used several times -- Twelve at Atlantic Station.

1  Thank Barbara B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,455)

Reviewed 18 November 2011

The W Atlanta Midtown is an enormous hotel in the heart of Midtown Atlanta, and its location may be its greatest asset. The hotel check-in staff was moderately friendly, but got the job done. The room size was pretty standard for a king-bed room, and everything was clean.

The most prominent feature of this hotel is its unique atmosphere: Night-club-techno-hip. And you either like it or you don't. The elevators house funky metal sheeting covering colored light displays while techno music perpetually pumps in. While appropriate for the after-party crowd, it feels a tad ridiculous while riding down to get your 7:00 am coffee.

While the room itself has all the essentials: comfy bed, divan, desk + desk chair, the decor seems to come from the latest and most moderne IKEA catalog. While certainly not elegant, the W decor IS different from what you may get from a competing hotel with the standard floral-print curtains and nature-scene-watercolor paintings. I'd say the best feature of the room was certainly the bed: extremely comfortable and plenty of room! As is true with many hotels, the room is stocked with amenities that guests must pay to use: food, mini-bar items, even "love-making kits." Don't be fooled though, a mini-can of Pringles will cost you $6. The room is part night-club, party comfy bed, and part exorbitantly-expensive mini-mart.

Overall, this hotel is great for those who have the energy to deal with the rampant night-club vibe, but perhaps not the best for those looking for something more classic and classy. The service was par, the geographical location ideal for midtown/MARTA access, and the energy of the lobby was young and fun. If you're looking for something less modern & chic and more rustic, choose somewhere else!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank VivoDavvero
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Everyone says the "W" hotels are cool. So it's like the Emperor's New Clothes - no one wants to be the one to say "I don't see it."

The lobby is ugly - industrial concrete and low dim lighting, kinda like a parking garage in terms of warmth. Corridors are dim, and so are the rooms. Low lighting may be appealing in a club, but I want some decent lighting in a hotel room. Dark carpet and black fixtures add to the vampire feeling.

Bed is comfy; bathroom has only an open shower (cold) with no bath. A vanity with magnifying lighted mirror (didn't work) sits just outside the bathroom.

Housekeeping was abysmal. They made the bed and that was it. No attempt to wipe down the bathroom counter, push in a chair, or neaten up at all. Saved me the trouble of tipping but it was a drag to come back to a messy room. Maybe that's part of being a "cool" hotel.

$30 per day for valet parking; $23 if you park your own ride. Friendly doormen. Easy to walk to a number of good restaurants close by, and easy freeway access. I like the location but will look for a less grungy place in midtown on my next visit.

1  Thank TNTGL
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Swanky - yes, but that is all. Had a huge event here and spent THOUSANDS. A simple breakfast order was served with a hair and attitude. "Whatever is your wish" my butt (I would say the other word, but I am not allowed to on this site). I had room service repeat my 5 orders 2 times and everything was wrong. Takes them forever to get anything done. Will never stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher the better for noise reasons.
1  Thank annetted18
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I have stayed at this hotel for the last 5 years and me and my wife have never had an issue. In fact, I have read many mixed reviews and always leaned toward the better ones due to my great experience with the hotel. My last stay here however broke that streak. I was driving to Florida with my family (we just had a daughter) and we decided to Pre-Pay several months in advance a room with 3 beds as we would traveling with my mother. Again, i cant stress enough that several months in advance I PRE-PAID for the room which online says NO REFUNDS and this reservation is GARAUNTEE! that GARAUNTEE promise along with my previous experience left me at ease.
The day finally comes and we arrive at the hotel around 9pm and had reservations at South City Kitchen (see my review on this place, its the best in Atlanta in my opinion) at 9:30. Well upon check in the man at the desk told me my room for a king was ready and I showed him my printed out confirmation that clearly says (2 Queen Bed Room). After a long discussion with the man and the hotel manager, they told me they did not have my room. This was very disappointing. I am a long time Starwood Preffered Guest member and a long time loyal lodger at this particualr hotel. Despite my complete anger and disapointment (tired from driving all day, crying baby, etc) the manager did manage to save our trip and get us accomodations at the Loews nearby (See my review on that, WOW!). Due to the confilct we never did make our reservation at South City Kitchen but we did get a place to sleep for the night.
For the record the manager did do his absolute best and I am very gratefull for his proffesionalism and generosity. If they didnt reach out and offer to set us up somewhere else many letters and phone calls to Starwood Corporate office would of been made but the manager did do a great job of hanging on to a would be former Starwood member. It was unfortunate and disapointing and although I do respect the level of proffesionalism I received from the hotel manager, its hard for me to take that risk again as I will continue to make this trip every year and would not to risk another night like this on a family vacation.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank romtravel
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Spent a weekend during golf tourney. Amazing service, great clientele. Bartenders were extremely knowledgeable and eager to try new things. Pool area had great veiws of the city. Rooms were a bit smaller than used to at a W but all in all it was exactly what I expect from a Starwood property and will stay again my next trip.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 November 2011

This is a very sleek and modern hotel. There is not a front desk, just two independent check-in stations. I thought this gave a really cold first imipression of the hotel. The hotel is decorated nicely, but the same theme is throughout. It would have been nice to see some variation.

We happened to be there for Halloween. When we came back to the hotel, there was a huge party in the lobby bar. It was an interesting show - almost a freak show - of costumes. It kept us entertained for a few minutes. Unfortunately, the sound from the lobby bar carried upstairs to the 11th floor.

Would recommend this hotel for the young college aged kids or early 30's.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends