“Such an effort”

Ranked #103 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Such an effort”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Once I had arrived in my tattily furnished room I just wanted to switch off the lights and get to bed. Unfortunately this involved hunting down about 5 light switches secreted around the room. When I returned from the gym the elevator couldn't be called from that level for some reason. I told a member of staff and they may as well have said 'whatever' to my face.
The styling of the hotel seems to be trying very hard but scratch the already scratched surface and this is a very average hotel.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank aeroscotia
WAtlantaMidtownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Hello aeroscotia.
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We were certainly disappointed to hear you had such an unpleasant experience. Your comments and feedback have been shared with the hotel team. We would love to have an opportunity to earn your confidence back on a future visit. Please let us know if that is something you would have interest in doing. You can reach us at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@WHotels.com. We hope to hear from you.
W Atlanta-Midtown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 3 March 2014

W Hotels are known for trendy design and experiences that stimulate the senses. This hotel was no different in that respect. However, the details are where the experience fell far short of my expectations.

To be fair, I must mention that this hotel was selected due to its proximity to my office. My employer wanted to ensure ease of commute with the winter storm that Atlanta experienced. Consequently, I was given a room at the W Midtown upon my request.

Upon arriving, the valet asked if I wanted to park my vehicle. I declined, and he ignored me for the remainder of my stay - almost as if he were personally snubbed. Entering the hotel, a light techno theme was playing in the lobby. The lighting was conducive to the overall atmosphere, emulating water on the nearby wall and ceiling (where effects were being projected). The staff seemed friendly, upgrading my room with ease.

My room was decorated in a modern, chic fashion - with touches that were eclectic and cutting-edge. However, the furniture showed some signs of wear. The end-tables on either side of the bed were painted black, but desperately needed touching-up. The fixtures (lamps, accessories) were in sore need of attention - fingerprints and dust were plentiful. The bathroom was certainly spa-inspired, and very nice. The shower was a relaxing cascade of water, enhanced by the high-quality complimentary toiletries.

The bar in the "Living Room" was well-decorated and had some unique, if not hidden touches. Staff were talkative and friendly. Drinks were priced at a premium, but the atmosphere was worth the price.

Unfortunately, checkout was another unpleasant experience. When I headed down to the lobby at 5:30 AM, nobody was in sight. I waited for around 15 minutes before an attendant arrived. She made no apologies, instead blaming her absence on "assisting a customer with luggage". I'm not sure why a front desk clerk would perform that sort of labor. The details of my billing were incorrect, as my personal credit card was charged instead of my business credit card. She insisted that there was nothing she could do. She made no offer to have a manager contact me, and instead handed me a business card. Regretfully, even after talking to this individual the same afternoon, (and filling out an online credit card form he asked me to submit) nothing was ever corrected. I was forced to file a lengthy expense report with my employer.

My overall impression is that this hotel has potential. The staff needs to be addressed, and some housekeeping needs attention. This is the W - it should exceed expectations, not fall short of them!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Spectacular room for breathtaking views of the Atlanta skyline!
2 Thank boltonski
Hello boltonski.
I appreciate you taking the time to send your review. However, I hate to hear your stay was one not up to both of our expectations. When you have a moment, would you please email me so we can discuss your checkout , confirm you have been taken care of in that area and make this right for you? GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com. Thank you again for your review; I hope to speak with you soon.
Lukus Kindlesparker, Hotel Manager
W Atlanta - Midtown
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I am SPG gold and stayed here for a work trip. I found the service ranged from apathetic to exceptional. I found some people were just so bothered by any questions or requests.
My first night was in a room that looked good enough, albeit typical cheesy W decor. The pipes in the wall were loud and clanky - it was very annoying - throughout the night. I called down and was told an engineer would be up. An hour later, no engineer, so I called back and was told they were trying to find a new room. Some time later a manager calls me to tell me there are no more rooms. Ironically on the nightstand there was a little card telling you how much they value beauty sleep and that there are white noise aps and let them know how they can help you sleep better. I actually googled the room number and found a review talking about the pipes (a little redemption to know I wasn't crazy)

Next day I got a call that they would put me in a suite. Reginald personally assured me that all of my stuff would be moved for me. He was true to his word, and he is on the exceptional side of the service. Vanessa got me the suite and I had spoken to her a number of times regarding upgrades and other things - she seemed to genuinely care about hotel guests and always made an effort. She is also on the exceptional side of service. Note to management - have Reginald and Vanessa run a training class on hospitality and customer service.

Suite was great. The negative is it was close to the elevator bank and those elevators were very audible. Much less so than the pipes, but just be mindful that your room is not close to the banks if you are a light sleeper. The floor to ceiling windows on the high floor left me with a beautiful view.

I've seen other reviews talk about the wearing of the rooms - I noticed that with the robes, they were pretty ratty. I don't think there was turn down service at night (maybe if requested?). There is a hotel car. The gym was just ok, as expected with W hotels. I managed, but it wasn't as good as the Four Seasons. Maybe its a W thing, but I think in this day and age, high end hotels should invest a little in their fitness centers. There was water and free coffee in the morning by the bar which is nice.

Spice market - sort of not included in the rating, but follows the theme of my overall experience. I picked up dinner and it was ok at best. I picked up breakfast and it was really good.

Great location. I think I would stay here again for business, but I don't think it would be my first choice, even with my spg status. It is just so inconsistent on so many levels. Some real high marks and some then some lower ones. I believe for an upscale or higher end hotel to get high markets, it has to consistently deliver a high quality product and high quality service.

Room Tip: lower numbered rooms "xx03, xx04" are close to the elevator bank and can be loud.
3 Thank adambr14
Hello adambr14.
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and informative review. Obviously, we are extremely disappointed to hear about some of your experiences during your stay. Your comments and feedback have been shared with the hotel team. We would love to have an opportunity to earn your confidence back on a future visit. Please let us know if that is something you would have interest in doing. You can reach us at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@WHotels.com. We hope to hear from you.
Metuchen, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Stayed at the W Atlanta Midtown for a conference recently and wanted to share my impressions. This hotel is a typical W, aimed at the young sophisticated traveler who is highly connected electronically, and wants lots of readily accessible amenities. My room was very comfortable, with a very modern bathroom and built-in furnishings. Staff were very helpful and accomodating (they even called my cellphone when my room was ready as I checked in very early). This hotel is very well appointed with relaxation opportunities--a beautiful bar, a Bliss Spa downstairs, and a branch of Jean Georges Vongerichten's Spice Market chain. Location is in Midtown, a modern area of Atlanta close to several sights. The only quibbles were that there were several minor issues in the bathroom (leaky shower, and a sink faucet that emitted a loud groan when the water was turned on more than a moderate flow), and some hardware missing from the furniture. Had the management been pre-emptively attentive to these issues, I would have rated this hotel more highly. Little details matter!

Hello FredRo1948.
Thank you for taking the time to write us a very nice review. We agree little details do matter and your comments and feedback have been shared with the hotel team. We do hope you will give us a chance to be more of a "hit" on those details the next time you visit. We look forward to seeing you again!
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I never write reviews but felt compelled by toe people who went above and beyond to ensure I had a good stay. Leon McGhee and Najah Moss were so gracious and kind. I was in the middle of a hectic and stressful travel week and ordered a late meal from room service. They both went out if their way to make sure I was taken care of beyond my expectations and it went a long way to make my trip a lot better. Hats off it them both!

• Stayed December 2013
Hello GvilleMT.
Thank you for the feedback. Glad to hear your stressful week got a little better with us. And we LOVE Leon and Najah. They both embody W spirit. Hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I will start off by saying that we are Marriott people (Platinum level), so we are used to extra special perks and service. Upon check in at the W, we were greeted friendly enough by valet and the front desk. We also were given complimentary wifi in our rooms which I thought was very nice of the assistance. The room is a standard king, very cool décor, but starting to look like it needs some upgrades. Wall paper is starting to come off the walls, the tile in the shower is popping up, lights were out over the desk (3 of them!!!, but that did get rectified by me leaving a note for the housekeeper - props to her for getting maintenance to address this in a very timely manner!!!).
The biggest problem I have had is that every time I have gone searching for a concierge, there is not one at the desk. The front desk assistants give some vague recommendations, but no one seems to know the area well enough to direct customers to restaurants, attractions, etc. I have wanted assistance both evenings I have been here to direct us to a restaurant nearby, and both times, the desk was empty upon several tries at different times throughout the early evening hours. I finally resorted to Trip Advisor for help!!! If you stay at the W, expect some hip décor, but I think the concierge needs some training on how to be at the desk during prime hours!!!

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor with not much of a view. I am sure the higher floors give wonderful views o...
Hello Asolare95.
Thank you so much for taking the time to send us a review. We really appreciate your feedback and have shared your comments with our team. We pride ourselves on our guest experience and regret that we let both of us down. We hope you will give us a chance to be more of a "hit" on our All the best,
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Our stay at the W made our friend weekend very enjoyable. The overall experience was great - loved the rooms and the location. Reshawn did a great job of serving us in the restaurant - drinks were awesome!! We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Hello AliciaB.
We are thrilled you an awesome stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!