“Excellent Stay Thanks to Management!”
Review of W Atlanta Midtown

W Atlanta Midtown
Ranked #117 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Prior to my arrival at the W on 5/16 my birthday, I was dealing with central reservation who were giving me a very hard time. One representative would tell me one thing in regards to booking and then if I called back with another I was told a totally different story. In thee event of getting ready to have to cancel my whole plans with friends flying into town from New York, I decide to just call the hotel itself and speak to management. when calling the hotel livid- Simone who was the manager took the patiences to calm me down as well as accommodate me in regards to all the confusion created by central reservation. Simone handled the situation immediately and made my birthday so much better. When checking in and being greeting by staff and then later Simone, I was happy iI chose to call the hotel because she was amazing!!!! Simone and her staff were excellent, prompt, and very courteous. I would also like to commend Terrance for his assistance and making my stay wonderful. Thanks guys see you soon!!

Room Tip: I was on the 10th floor which was quiet and had a view of the street side which was great to wake up...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,483)

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Pros:
• Connected to the Colony Square Mall, especially convenient as the restaurant was under renovation.
• Good Mid-town location near many restaurants, etc.
• Very good Valet service. They are extremely friendly and efficient, and when we called for our car they were very quick and very serviceable and friendly.
• Pretty hotel lobby.
Cons:
• We are Platinum Starwood SVO members (so we have significantly invested in Starwood), yet at the hotel were treated as ‘Gold members’, which was fine, except that to upgrade to a king bed, we had to pay an extra 1,000 points, whereas at the Westin in Buckhead, they always take great care of us and upgrade us to the best possible room. At checkin, the attendant was not up to upgrading us at all.
• Checked in at noon because we had a conference at 1:00 pm. Room was not ready. Not a problem for us. So we checked 3 bags with the attendant, and they took our cell phone number down and said they would call when room was ready.
• By 5:30 pm, they had not called. We went to find out what was going on. Per the check in desk, we were told that there must have been a mixup due to staff change, thus no phone call, but the room was ready.
• Then, we handed over our claim ticket for our luggage. Well, they could not find our luggage . In fact, we personally had to go to the room where they keep everyone’s luggage to ‘hunt’ for our luggage. It was a mess. We finally found our items but they were not together, just scattered about with other people’s stuff. Appalling.
• We did not get our complimentary water. Called the front desk and they said ‘coming right up’ and never did. Valet parking did give us water when we asked them for it.
• Ice bucket non existent. After not getting the water, we did not bother to ask.
• No coffee maker in room. When I called reception they said they could bring one up, but after the water incident we figured it was less of a hassle to go down to the lobby and get our own.
• Carpet outside our room stained and well worn. Not what I expected from Westin brand.
• Room has a half shower ‘panel’, so you get a bunch of water on the bathroom floor when you shower. And the bathroom floors are made of a material that is VERY slippery.
• Room cards - as a suggestion to management they should make the card key for room access easier to read. We saw a lot of people having problems with getting the card inserted correctly in the elevators. Later on I had the same problem and thought it had demagnetized. Upon closer look, on one corner there's a big W so you think that's the direction to insert the card. On the opposite side is a teeny tiny little purple arrow which is the actual correct way to insert the key, but if you don't have glasses on or you don't have the 20 20 vision, it can be very hard to miss.
Westin Buckhead and other Sheraton hotels are much better than this. Usually we talk to the manager if we have issues, but front desk staff seemed overwhelmed and we were not there long, so we just decided to get on with it. But with the lackadaiscal attitude of the staff, except for valet service, we will not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Con's: a bit tired: The sink didn't drain (but they sent a plumber) and the under-counter lighting at the desk/hutch/liquor cabinet didn't work (2 LED pucks were burned out and the third flashed like a RR crossing light).
Pro's: The location is great, the room was very clean, the room large (a rare amenity for an urban hotel tower).
Other: I couldn't decide if the interior design was intended to be 2007 'futuristic' or 1960s 'mod'. There's lots of black either way, which may help with sleep but makes the place feel a bit grim. The room is organized like a 7-11 convenience rack, stocked with lots of amenities (from condoms to gummy bears to Maker's Mark) which you can buy. So sweep the room before you let the kiddies in, else you might double your per-night bill. I think the one bar of soap was free.

Room Tip: always safer to be on a lower floor in case of emergency
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My family and I stayed at the W for three nights this past weekend and it was a great stay. We were 16 people total (in town for a wedding) and the guy at the front desk was really accommodating putting us all on the same floor. The rooms were clean and a great size. The whole staff was really friendly and great with local recommendations. The location of the hotel was great, tons of bars and restaurants (and beautiful Piedmont Park) all in walking distance. We had some drinks at the Living Room in the hotel which was nice but the drinks were really expensive. You're better off finding a local place around the hotel. All in all it was great and I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My family and I stayed at the W Midtown Atlanta April 24-26, 2014. Let me start by saying our stay was wonderful. We were there for my cousins wedding so with that said please understand that almost my whole family and friends occupied a lot of rooms as well as services. The hotel was beautiful and clean. The rooms were in outstanding condition and very clean. The staff was absolutely awesome and very attentive. Kudos to Mr. Rodney Hinson and his team for insuring security and overall hospitality. Casey the bellman and TJ also stood out with their efforts to accommodate us as well. Please recognize that there were 2 wedding groups there and 2 proms so the staff had many challenges to work through. The banquet staff was awesome. Front desk, bar staff, and restaurant staff were amazing. I got the impression that all of the employees there loved what they were doing and worked so well together as a team. Having been in the hospitality industry as a front office manager for over 10 years I come into hotels expecting to find flaws and areas of improvement but this hotel and its staff showed us zero signs of flaws. Everyone was so nice and personable even with all the challenges that were in place. I would highly recommend this location for anyone traveling to the Atlanta area as I will choose them for my future visits to Atlanta. To the managers and directors there i would say pat yourselves on the back for having such am awesome team and overall hotel. It was so great that I am going to send my resume to them in hopes that there might be an opportunity for me to be part of such a wonderful and organized group of hospitality professionals. If you Re looking for a great place to stay while in Atlanta and desire a staff that will exceed your expectations then The W Midtown you should be the only option on your list. Thank you all for a wonderful experience and I hope this review will enlighten others to incur the joy my family and I had from this stay.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I was at the W for a meeting recently. I'd been here for work a couple of years ago as well. It is a GREAT hotel for the 20-30 year old night crowd, but it was not the best room for work. I turned on every light in the hotel room and still didn't have enough to read adequately, work on my I-pad, etc. It is a great hotel for socializing; just not for work. Also, I know that safety is important, but who really wants to have to insert a key EVERY time he/she wants to run up to the room? I must say, it was nice to have the screens on the windows. I didn't have to worry about the light coming in too early in the morning. Also, I really LOVED their gym.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My first impressions of this hotel where great.

I loved the lobby, loved the design and all the little touches and most of all found the bedroom to be stunning. The bathroom was brilliant,the bed very comfortable and again lots of little touches around the room. We also ordered room service and found it to be brilliant with generous portions and reasonably priced.

The only thing I didn't like was the location of the TV in relation to the bed which was off to the left. It made for unusual positioning in order to watch tv which became uncomfortable after a time.

Now to the staff issues. I will never give a property grief over the behaviour of other guests, and behaviour is not their fault but the individuals. However I experienced a significant number of disturbances outside my room in the early hours of Easter Sunday as a result of a small party of very rowdy guests. It lasted over a period of 4 hours. Numerous calls where made for security to attend but they simply DID NOT!!!! Bang out of order. I demanded a manager be placed on the phone after about 4 hours and was told that there was none. I am amazed that a hotel from the W brand would not have a night manager especially during a busy holiday period. Only once did security attend and all the did was bang on the door and shout "security"! The group where also intimidating and I heard them shouting abuse at fellow guests.

I know many rooms complained as I had colleagues also disrupted by this on the same floor and the floor above. When I finally awoke a message from the morning manager apologising for the behaviour of the guests was left and I was satisfied with how she dealt with including removing any further charges to my room. This was great and I was more than happy with it but unfortunately the damage was done and the lack of proactive action by the staff on duty that night is what has remained in my mind.

This was a once off incident I reckon and I can only hope that the hotel staff learn from the incident and implement a procedure for dealing with such disturbances.

It would not put me off using this hotel again however and I do hope to return again soon.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed fantastic however I had a great view on a southerly facing room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business