“Better than I thought it would be”

Jimmy Carter Library & Museum
Ranked #14 of 292 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Carter Presidential Library and Museum re-opens October 1, 2009 as an all-new,state-of-the-art museum tracing the life and work of President Jimmy Carter, from his childhood in Plains to the work he and Mrs. Carter do around the world to promote peace and health.
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This was a nice overview of President Carter's youth and presidency. I was impressed - it was much better than I expected and a must for history buffs.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Jimmy Carter wasn't the best president ever and the most significant things he's contributed to society revolve around everything he's done for our nation after leaving the Presidency. This museum tells you about what he has done to help world peace, etc. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Not overwhelming or boring...lots to look at, several interactive displays and time preserved videos. Enjoyed learning more about this respected president!

Reviewed 18 August 2013

The museaum and grounds are well worth spending a few hours when in Atlanta. We strolled through the beautiful grounds after our visit and it was a quiet and peaceful oasis in the center of Atlanta. The museum specifically was fascinating for someone who was in high school during the Carter years. The displays are interesting, with the "day in the life of a president" and the sections on the Carter's post presidential philanthropic work being the most worthwhile. The exhibits are a moving tribute to a family that has done so much for the people of the United States and the world, and learning about their legacy is moving regardless of your political affiliation(s).

Reviewed 18 August 2013

I have always wanted to visit a presidential library, although I am not sure that Jimmy Carter's would have been my first choice. However, finding myself in Atlanta, with its paucity of things to visit and do, I was pleased to have the chance to spend a few hours here.

My favorite exhibit was the mock up of the Oval Office, made famous by "The West Wing" and by so many political novels and articles. There were also a large number of informative video presentations, the best of which dealt with the famous peace meetings between Egypt's Sadat and Israel's Begin. Visitors should take the time to see as many of these as possible.

Generally, I felt the library did about as good a job as possible in summarising the Carter years. They were not good years for America, but the museum did give me a welcome refresher course for the period. It is very well laid out and curated.