“INCREDIBLE SERVICE!”

Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel
Ranked #20 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 June 2011

I traveled to Atlanta to see the Color Purple and stayed at the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel in June 2011. The reception and lobby area was beautiful, the staff was professional and the bellman (Robert) was kind enough to give me a tour of the room and direct me to local restaurants.

When I arrived home, I realized that I'd left some clothing in the closet. I called at approximately 1030 pm to report the loss. The person who answered the phone took my information and stated that someone would get back to me after the Loss Prevention Officer had been contacted. Within 10 minutes, she called back, stated that my clothing was found and confirmed my mailing address.

I could NOT BELIEVE that she actually called back the same night!! I fully expected a call back on Monday, the next business day! This is why I consistently stay at Marriott hotels around the world. You cannot beat this level of service!! Thank you Marriott!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank TheKelly
RenMidtownGM, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2011

Thank you so much for your comments! Robert is one of our best Ambassadors! And we are very proud of our Loss Prevention team as well! I will definitely share your comments with our staff--thanks again and enjoy your week--we'll look forward to seeing you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,181)

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Stayed at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown for 5 nights and would not hesitate to stay again. Rooms were newer, clean and nicely appointed with a very comfortable bed. Room was on the smaller side, but no complaints there. Staff was beyond helpful and the complimentary wine/social hour was an added bonus. Location is great, some great dining options nearby. Ordered some small bites at the on-site restaurant and was disappointed (food was also expensive). Valet (like most in city hotels, was expensive). Great Midtown option!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Richie248
RenMidtownGM, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2011

Thanks very much for posting your comments about your recent stay with us! I appreciate the feedback and will share with our team! Have a great week.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

I arrived late in the evening last night. The front desk clerk who checked me in was only interested in getting me "upgraded" to a "luxury room" with "only" $20/night additional fee. I explained that I feel this property is already luxury enough and declined the upgrade. Since then the experience only went south. My calls to the front desk would take forever to be answered. When I walk down to the front desk, there is no guest (i.e. not busy), the person who checked me in would pretend not have seen me, while I found another staff. There is no information provided by the hotel either about the hotel or neighborhood or even a map - I was told just check the website. My reservation said the rate included "wired internet" so I asked for a cable to get wired access, I was told there is no cable for wired access, just use wireless (sign up for the $14.95/daily rate). I will see when I check out if the item would show on my bill.

After failing to get any neighborhood information (I was told by then everthing would be closed), I ordered room service. Since it was after dinner time, only salad and cold sandwich is offered. A ham sandwidch is $11 plus 20% service charge, and $3.50 for delivery. After I get connected with internet, I realized that Publix is just a block north (200 meters away), as well as other grocery stores and cafes in walking distance.

The worst is yet to come. Near midnight the phone rang. Not able to answer in time and missed the call, I called front desk (took again more than a dozen rings before anyone answered), I was told it was just a mistake. This morning 6:30am local time I had robot "wake up" call which I never set up - this is 3:30am my west coast time! 10 min later, another mysterious call arrived. By then there is no way to go back to sleep. With last night working to 3am to catch up work (nidnight PDT my regular schedule), nothing is worst than a disturbed sleep. I am a long time Marriott reward customer and stayed in numerous Marriott properties for business and for vacation, I have never felt so UNWELCOME before. This unwanted "wakeup" call that I did NOT request definitely felt like retaliation of my refusal to "upgrade".

I booked into this hotel through company travel site due to its proximaty to work location and huge discount with company rate (compared to normal rate booked through internet ). I will never stay here again. There are a lot more choices in midtown Atlanta. If you have to stay with this hotel, I suggest you do all the research ahead of time, print the information or bring with you on mobile devices. You will not get any from the hotel clerk.

This is my first morning here in a 4 day stay, I have yet to find out where the other facilities are located so I scored Restaurant, Spa, Swimming Pool as "Not Sure"

Room Tip: do not stay with this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank RoadTrooper

Good morning! I have just received notification of your comments and would love to discuss and of course rectify! Not only am I very surprised, but would welcome the opportunity to resolve the issues you mentioned. As you can see from other comments, we do enjoy fairly good responses and positive feedback. I apologize for the service levels you experienced last night and can certainly understand how that would make you feel. Please contact myself or Mike Sutter the AGM, upon your return to the hotel this evening if that is acceptable to you. I look forward to talking with you.

Reviewed 2 June 2011

We spent the first night of four in the Atlanta area at this Renaissance (luckily we got the room for the rate (included free parking) when it was still a "Palomar", otherwise we probably wouldn't have stayed there. Glad we did, though, as it turned out to be not only first on our itenarary but first on our favorite stay list at the end of our trip. Tasteful, artsy, friendly personnel, and ah!, the beds, so comfortable. Nice Happy Hour treats. The only negative to note: breakfast which was pricey and slow coming.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fahrvergnuegte
RenMidtownGM, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2011

So nice to hear we got you off to a great start here at the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown. Thanks for posting your comments, I'll be sure to look into the speed at breakfast!

Enjoy your week!

Reviewed 1 June 2011

Contemporary elegance in midtown! This is the best Renaissance property I've ever seen - thanks to previous owners Kimpton Hotels. I was in town for the Jazz Festival and to see family and friends. Easy walk to Piedmont Park for the festival. Short walk to many eateries and bars in midtown. My friend and I felt safe walking in the neighborhood. Lots of people were walking around over the weekend. No problems at all.

Rooms are good size and very well decorated. Comfy beds! The duvet did get a little too warm for my taste though. Beautiful modern bathroom. This is a beautiful boutique hotel, which I tend to like. No pool but lovely roof-top lounge. Beautiful lobby!

My only complaint was the under-staffed and slow valet parking service!
Otherwise, no problems for me. I will return!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ATM72

Good morning and thanks for your comments about the hotel. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Will certainly look into the comment about valet parking staffing, and will look forward to seeing you when you return.

Have a great week.

Reviewed 30 May 2011

My husband and I currently live in Atlanta and decided to stay downtown one night. We have stayed at many downtown and midtown hotels and decides to give the Renaissance Midtown. Staff was wonderful, rooms were super clean! We even received a unexpected visit from the manager within a few hours after check in. She wanted to make sure our room was clean and we were enjoying our stay! Wow! Very unexpected coming from a midtown hotel.

Only negative is the $30 valet(standard in Midtown)and a true office center, not a computer and printer in the corner of the
lobby.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Braden94

Thanks for your great comments about our hotel! Wish we would see more local Atlantans take advantage of our great hotel for a little getaway. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Reviewed 25 May 2011

This hotel was previously a Kempton hotel and only become part of the Marriott chain about 30 days before my business trip to Atlanta. I think this hotel is still evolving. I walked back and forth to downtown but it is a bit of a hike, probably about a mile. The area itself borders on the Georgia Tech campus and the blossoming mid town area and, for me, is a more interesting area than downtown.

The hotel is nice and the fitness center was well equipped with almost new machines. The bad (and good) is that this hotel does not have a conciege lounge. I am a platinum member and enjoy the after dinner deserts and access to hot beverages like tea and coffee (the rooms unexplicably don't have coffee/tea makers). I also like having access to the computer and printer normally in these lounges. I often would like to read and review a report or memo sent by e-mail and I would like to be able to print it.

The good about not having the concierge lounge is that gold and platinum members get a free breakfast in the adjacent restaurant. This was much better than any of the breakfasts that I got in any of the concierge lounges.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business