“This hotel has some issues”

Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel
Ranked #16 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 July 2012

This hotel aspires to be a luxury property, but they have some work to do. First is the parking. I know all atlanta hotels are going to charge a lot for valet, but if you choose to self park, your choice is almost three blocks away. they kindly offered to empty the serve bar in our room so we could use the fridge, but it didn't work. the lighting in the bathroom was insufficient for applying makeup or shaving. We thought this was due to having a bulb out in the mirror, so we left a note. The housekeeper disposed of our note and the light was not replaced.
I find it offensive that they want to charge an additional $15 a night for wi-fi when they are already charging over $200 for the room. But they kindly offered for me to sit in their lobby to access free wi-fi! They also do not have any coffee in the room which i find very inconvenient.
Basically it's a lot of little things that start to get under your skin after a while.
While dining in their restaurant, we overheard another traveler discussing the events of the night before with the manager. Evidently, she was late checking in and they had sold her room, in spite of the fact that she was a platinum marriott rewards member. so they directed her to another hotel, but gave her the wrong address! so she had been driving all over atlanta at 1:00 in the morning and had to come back to this hotel and i don't know where she actually slept but they comped her 1000 points for the error.
The location of this hotel is so convenient i am very disappointed that things didn't work out. it really could be so much better.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Good evening. First, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. While certainly disappointing, it does help me to provide feedback to our team and address issues that require focus, follow up and resolution. I certainly agree that we are simply a great hotel, in a great location and we should have deilivered an exceptional service experience for you to enjoy. While I am confident we are successful in delivering just that the majority of the time, we failed to do so in your case. I do appreciate that you took the time to share and I personnally have followed through on these with our team.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

I stayed in town recently for a convention. On the whole, this is a decent hotel -- though the rates were sky high (probably due to the large convention in town) -over $200+ for a very very average room.

Alas, as a business traveler, there are some things I liked very much about the room. For example, they gave some thought to providing accessible electrical outlets on/near the desk (versus in some hotels where you must search and search to find a free outlet to plug in your computer or cell phone). Also, I like the climate control in the room that is not loud and easily adjustible. The bed was also very comfortable.

The location was good for business.

Only criticism is that I thought the in-room dining menu is pretty weak and lacking character. They could use some more robust and flavorful salads, healthy and hearty options that are affordable. As a business traveler, arriving tired and just wanting to order-in to the room...I didn't think the choices were very exciting (so I made a quick trip to the Whole Foods salad bar/hot food bar).

The service was very good and all the staff was friendly. When I called down for a special request, they got it up to meet a lightening speed. The valet was also speedy.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Thanks for your feedback--very helpful and of course I was delighted to see your specific comments about what is important to you AND that our team was repsonsive and provided great service. We have recently changed our room service menus too, so we will have some new, fresh offerings for you the next time you visit.

Reviewed 13 July 2012

This hotel is as close to my ideal as it gets. Room was gorgeous, beautiful views, spectacular bathroom, comfy beds. The wine reception in the lobby may be a remnant of the hotel's past as a Kimpton, but I hope they keep it as it's a super nice touch. We had drinks on the "roof" bar (it's not really a roof, but more like a balcony) and it was really nice. Good menu selection. My favorite thing was that the bathroom light was on a dimmer, so it served as a nightlight. Nice touch! I would go back in a heartbeat!

ps: Like a previous reviewer, I also ate at Ecco and loved it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank AllisonNNH

Love the review (obviously). When a guest writes that we have a gorgeous hotel and that it is close to their ideal, well that's pretty darn good! Thank you for your feedback and for all the comments about the night lights (I love that feature too) and the view, comfy bed, spacious bath et. al. I appreciate your comments-hurry back!

Reviewed 13 July 2012

If you travel with your significant other, don’t go to this hotel. I found women’s lingerie handing from the lamp on the wall. Can you imagine you arrive early to your hotel and check in and then your wife joins you a few hours or a day later and finds another women’s lingerie hanging in the room. Even the most trusting wife would be worried about this.

In addition, if the hotel service doesn’t find lingerie hanging from the lamp in the room, what kind of cleaning of that room are they doing?

When I brought this up at check-out, I got a oh-sorry about that - We will take care of that. What does that mean? When I wrote the hotel after the fact, I got another email saying they were sorry and to please come back. Scary! – I wouldn’t expect this from a Motel much less the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Patrick F
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Staff was friendly and accomodating, room was nicely decorated and beds super comfortable. Our favorite feature was the courtesy van that took us around town free of charge (we tipped the driver but that's so much cheaper and easier than parking downtown). There was hardly any wait time which made the service so much better than taking a taxi.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2012

I really appreciate your comments and I was so pleased to see that you were able to take advantage of the courtesy car that is available for our guests! Super comfortable beds and friendly staff- you can't ask for much more than that! We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Atlanta.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

What a wonderful location and a beautiful property. Midtown is nice, so I assumed the hotel would be as well, but when I was able to book a special event rate of just $119 - I wondered.....unnecessarily as iit turns out.

When we arrived, it was during a torrential downpour. The valet staff could NOT have been more accomodating. (BTW, unless you want to find your own parking, you must valet.) They braved the elements, gave us umbrellas, took the car to the garage, and then took us to the garage to get our luggage.

The lobby is quite beautiful. Very ecclectic with a gorgeous fish tank and modern gas fireplace. Check it went very smoothly and our desk agent was extremely helpful and friendly. There is no conceirge level for Elite Marriott members, but you compensated well with free wifi, complimentary items from the mini bar, and free breakfast for two in the restaurant.

The room was clean, well appointed, and actually quite beautiful - as was the bath. (Only complaint? The lighting in the bath is very dim....) Seemed more like a hip apartment than a typical hotel room. Everything felt lush and warm and "solid." And quiet. We never heard a single sound. We were able to connect to the wifi easily and enjoyed our complimentary snacks!

In terms of location, there are many, many great places to walk to from this location. And the walks are easy. We were only in town for one night (passing through) and simply went to dinner, but the area is great and you could stay many nights and not have to visit the same place twice. (Recommend a spot called Ecco nearby! Try to fried goat cheese balls. Unreal.)

No bill under the door, but checkout was quick and easy. In fact, I had to get back into the room (left something) after checkout and our desk agent was very friendly and helpful and our car was out front in no time flat.

For $119 this was a steal. But even at the regular rate (over $200), I would stay again. One of the nicer hotels I've visited lately.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jbfgator
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

Fabulous! I was absolutely delighted to read your comments about your recent stay. I think you hit on every touch point for us. Staff being flexible when it comes to dealing with the elements -torrential downpour was a great highlight. Thank you so very much for taking time to post this--I have shared your comments with our team of ambassadors, they take great pride in exceeding expectations of our guests.! Ecco is very good, I recommend you try our Briza restaurant next, our Chef is simply amazing; Janine Falvo is a James Beard Rising Star award winner and was on Top Chef last year--try her Halibut with lobster home fries--yum!

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We were in town for a family wedding and we were extremely pleased with the hotel. The staff was very attentive, friendly, and knowledgeable and gave wonderful suggestions for restaurants, and local attractions. The rooms are quiet, very clean,and well appointed. The bed and pillows were so comfortable and the linens were crisp and clean. The courtesy shuttle (for use within a 2 mile or less radius) was appreciated beyond words. The drop off and pick up at the Georgia Aquarium went without a hitch which made things very easy in an unfamiliar city. The hotel is a mere 1 1/2 blocks from the MARTA station which made our trip to the airport a breeze. We enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay again and would recommend this hotel for a midtown stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rdsd4006
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

I was extremely pleased to read your comments about your recent stay. From the friendly staff, to our great location and exemplary service--taking advantage of our courtesy car (Audi) to get you to the Georgia Aquarium and back, is truly sounds as if we succeeded in our mission to delight you! Thanks for your high recommendation, and we'll look forward to your return.