“The Toilet, the Towel and the Toothpaste”

Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel
Ranked #19 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Schertz, Texas
“The Toilet, the Towel and the Toothpaste”
Reviewed 10 October 2012

This was my first and last visit to this hotel. For the moment, I'll ignore the $30 valet-only parking. Instead, I'll focus on the room that I was given.

When I checked in, I was told that I had booked a room with a king bed, but the only king rooms available were accessible. I told them to give me a room with two double beds. Not what my husband (who I hadn't seen in two months) and I really wanted, but a minor inconvenience for the most part.

We didn't actually settle into our room until after 1 a.m. That's when we discovered that the toilet had stains on it. Not permanent stains like it was an old toilet. These were stains from something that had been wet on the toilet seat, and the longest was an interesting shade of brown.

It was so late, and we were so tired that I decided rather than call housekeeping or the front desk to request another room, I'd just hover in the bathroom and pray that the sheets on the bed at least were clean.

The next morning, there was a knock on our door at 9:30 a.m. It was a Sunday. Who knocks at 9:30 a.m. on a Sunday in a hotel? Apparently, at the Renaissance, housekeeping knocks at 9:30 a.m. on Sunday...to see if anyone is in the room. What? Don't they have a list of occupied rooms?

Next, we discovered that our double room only came with one towel. That's right, one towel in a room with two beds! I called housekeeping. Too bad they didn't drop off some more towels when they were knocking on our door at 9:30.

The final straw was the toothpaste that was part of the hotel-provided toiletries. The box looked a little crumpled, and when I opened it, I discovered a nice tube of used toothpaste!

Between the toilet, the towel and the toothpaste, I have to wonder if the room was cleaned at all after the prior occupant(s).

We complained to the front desk as were were checking out. We were assured by the front desk clerk that she would mention these issues to someone (in that voice people use when they have no real intentions of telling anyone anything).

We won't be back.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank senoraflowers
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Good evening and thank you for sharing your experience. I was totally distressed as I am sure you were during your stay to hear of your challenges. I can certainly understand your frustration and of course would like to apologize on behalf of myself and our staff. If you read our reviews, you see that this is atypical, but nevertheless I have personally followed up with our department leadership to ensure these issues were addressed and will not recur. I do ask that you reconsider your comment to never return --I assure you that you will have a much better experience. I do hope that the next time you return to Atlanta you consider us.

Thanks again for taking the time to inform me of the details about your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Central Florida
Reviewed 25 September 2012

The customer service seemed to slip when the business of last weekend. It was Family weekend for GA Tech and several weddings.

The hotel was modern and convenient--NO POOL.

Plenty of places to walk to--food/groceries/drinks/exercise.

We will return on future trips to GA Tech. We just hope the hotel doesn't over extend themselves with events/bookings.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Good morning and thank you for providing your feedback about your stay here at the Renaissance Atlanta midtown hotel. I was certainly delighted to hear of your return stay AND your intent to return again. We certainly were busy the weekend of your stay, but that should not preclude us from delivering exceptional guest service experiences. I have addressed this with our team and I remain confident you will have a delightful service experience when you return. See you then.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 22 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed in the Renaissance Midtown while attending a recruiting event at Georgia Tech. The location was superbly convenient, a very easy walk to the neat Tech Square portion of campus. The hotel itself was very nice. Rooms were modern, interestingly decorated and clean. Service was impeccable - enjoyed my interaction with front desk, guest services and valet staff.

Tip: ask for a room on a high floor facing south; you'll get a superb view of midtown and downtown Atlanta.

I particularly enjoyed the lobby area - beautifully adorned with modern, crisp design. Very lively at all times of the day or night.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank vixsheikh
Thank you for staying with us at the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown hotel. I appreciate your business and your comments. I was especially pleased to see that you found the hotel to be clean, superbly convenient, modern and interestingly decorated! And that the service was impeccable! We will look forward to your return visit.

thanks again,
Louisiana
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night on business. I got in late and left early, so I didn't have the opportunity to sample much of the hotel's offerings. It is upscale, and it has all that goes with that (decor, comfort, and high price).

The room was basic, but nicely decorated. The bed was very comfortable, and the hotel was fairly quiet, overall.

This hotel was conveniently located to restaurants, the Ga. Tech Conference Center, and MARTA.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown hotel and for your comments. Although your stay was short we would be delighted if you chose to stay here if and when your travels bring you back to Atlanta. I'm sure you'll be just as pleased with your stay the next time.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 12 September 2012 via mobile

What a wonderful and modern hotel! The rooms were contemporary and bathroom was just splendid. The lobby area is spacious and contemporary again. I stayed on tenth floor so got amazing city view from the window. The toiletries were decent. Overall a great stay and if I come to Atlanta again I will surely consider staying here again. The staff was very friendly and professional unlike other hotel staff in the same area.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Hina91
First, I must say your's is one of my favorite reviews--mostly because I agree with you that the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown hotel is the "Best in Midtown" to use your words. I also loved your all the adjectives and descriptive words used in your review; wonderful, modern, contemporary, splendid, amazing city view, friendly and professional--all things we strive to be and represent--I look forward to welcoming you upon your return to Atlanta.
Maryland
Reviewed 6 September 2012

You will feel welcomed and appreciated in this hotel as the staff readily accommodates your needs. Only about a block from MARTA, the hotel provides easy access to downtown Atlanta. Rooms are large and well appointed, with a large bathroom. Along with bars and restaurants close by, there is also a Publix around the corner. The only downside was the thin walls (as someone else mentioned). I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Good evening! Thanks so much for providing us your comments about the hotel. We also find our location (1 block from MARTA) to be ideal and of course we our very proud of our staff here at the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown. Glad to hear you felt welcome and appreciated--nothing more important than that, with of course the exception being intent to return-which of course you said you definitely would!
Chattanooga
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Great location in the heart of midtown with many restaurants and bars nearby. Small, almost boutique. The rooms are very contemporary. The restaurant and bar was good and best of all, the staff is delightful and exceedingly hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank teak51
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown hotel. I not only appreciate that you stayed at the hotel, but also for taking time to provide us some feedback. We also believe that we have a great location AND of course a delightful staff--I was very pleased to hear you experienced that during your stay. We will of course expect to see you again soon.