“Best for Millenials”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Paris, France
“Best for Millenials”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

I recently stayed on business for the first time at this property. Ironically, I saw Bill Marriott in an interview, and he said that he didn't exactly understand the concept either. I thought, why not take a chance and experience another Marriott brand?

I arrived into a fairly stark lobby, and I was greeted by an enthusiastic young staff from the front door to the front desk. The desk clerk promptly checked me in, but she failed to explain any of the amentities: internet, manager's reception, morning newspaper choice, etc. I had to ask separately about each. As well, she didn't welcome me as a Rewards Member.

The room was "cold" at best. Cold flooring, stark furnishings, no comfortable chair to be found, etc. The bathroom was very open to the room, and the lighting was more "hip" than effective to see yourself while shaving or bathing.

It appeared to me that this is Marriott's answer to the "W" chain. I have now had the experience, and I will return to my more standard Marriott offerings. If you are a Millenial and looking for "hip", this property is for you. For me, I'll go for my creature comforts.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are better and have a nice city view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Mark G, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your most recent stay at The Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel. Guest feedback is extremely valuable to the success of our hotel and brand, and we will share your comments with our team. You identified a few service opportunities ( arrival ), that we can certainly improve, from a consistency stand point. Your guest room comments are also appreciated and I apologize that we were unable to meet your expectations. The Renaissance design is on the chic side which sets our brand apart from some of our sister brands, however we need to ensure the basic expectations are met. ( ie: lighting / comfort ).
Again, I truly appreciate you taking the time to review your visit with us and do hope that when your travels bring you back to Midtown ATL that you will allow us the opportunity to host you.
Regards..
Mark Giovetti

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

My fiancé and I had a great stay at this hotel New Year's Eve 2012. The location and room were excellent. The front desk, bell service, and housekeeping staff were all fantastic The only drawback was that room service was not available 24 hours. When I called, they were ready to provide outside vendors' phone numbers as a substitute, but I didn't was really hoping for he convenience of room service. Management needs to train staff to advise guests of the absence of such a core service at check-in. It really did impact the quality of the stay.

Now for the reason for the low review: I prepaid my room using Priceline and was told at check-in that my credit card would only be charged for incidentals. However, upon returning home, I noticed a charge for $128 from the hotel. I suppose this could be either Priceline's fault for not paying the hotel or the hotel's fault for mistakenly charging me for the room so I called the hotel to try to get things rectified. I have now called three times over the past two weeks without receiving any response. I called 11 days ago and left a voicemail for the Accounting department. Then, 5 days ago, I left a message with the front desk attendant who answered the phone. I was advised to expect a call back from Accounting in 3-5 business days, It's now been 8 business days since my first call! Also, if this typical response time for a simple inquiry like mine is really that long, then Accounting's answering machine message needs to say that! It's all about managing expectations.

Today I left a voicemail for the Manager of Operations asking for a call back today but didn't receive one. When I first went to leave the message, I was offered the option of pressing 0 to speak with someone immediately so I did that. I was transferred to a line where I could hear two people (presumably employees) complaining and cursing. When I said hello, I was hung up on. The customer-facing staff do a great job, but it's evident this business is not run well behind the scenes.

Since the GM seems to reply to every review here, I thought I might try this. Mark G - Email me at renaissanceinquiry @ gmail . com and give me a time and phone number that I can call to discuss this with someone who can help me. I've wasted way too much time on this and am not happy with Renaissance at all.

Room Tip: Don't book via Priceline I guess
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Mark G, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Jason, good morning, I just read your recent post and would be delighted to assist you with this billing issue. Let me also apologize for nobody getting back to you in a timely manner, this is not the type of service we provide and I will certainly follow up on this. Please feel free to contact me via email at mark.giovetti@renaissancehotels.com or directly at 678-412-2361
Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon!!

Regards....
Lexington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

My business partner and I recently stayed at the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown. Upon arrival, Hunter, at the registration desk, recognized us from our previous stay in July and greeted us warmly. We checked in with one less piece of luggage than planned on account of my business partner's bag being no where to be found upon arrival at ATL. Immediately, after learning of the lost bag, Hunter and David arranged for Torrey to drive us in the hotel car to a nearby department store so that my business partner could purchase some needed items. He patiently and so courteously waited for us to complete our shopping. Throughout our stay, the entire staff was so attentive to our every need. I could go on and on about the excellence of this hotel, its restaurant and the wonderful staff...it truly is a midtown gem! Can't wait to return!

1 Thank lextravlr
Mark G, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
First of all, thank you for taking the time to post your most recent experiences from your stay at The Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel. I was thrilled to read that Hunter, David and Torry went above and beyond to assist with your unexpected needs. I look forward to sharing your positive comments with these 3 individuals along with our entire Operations team. Your feedback is extremely valuable to our hotel and I wanted to thank you for being our guest and sharing your experiences. Please let us know how we can assist you in the future, as we look forward to your return visit to Midtown, ATL
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

We usually stay downtown when we visit Atlanta but we tried the Renaissance this time and were very happy we did. Everyone there made us feel very welcome and they were willing to go above and beyond for some special requests we had. The area is loaded with good restaurants, There is a grocery store a block away and we felt very comfortable anywhere we walked in Midtown. A cab to anywhere else in Midtown is $12 and one night the hotel even took us to a restaurant in their courtesy car. We enjoyed free breakfast daily because we are part of the Marriott loyalty pregram and it was excellent. Fresh fruit daily, the usual choices and omelets to order were available. We did not try the restaurant on premises, Brisa, for any other meals. The rooms were adequate and clean. Midtown is an area with lots of young residents and it feels much more like a neighborhood so we found it a pleasant change from the congestion of downtown Atlanta and the megahotels.

2 Thank casallese
Mark G, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Hello and Thank You for posting on Trip Advisor, your most recent experiences regarding your visit to Midtown and The Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel. It sounds like you had a great time discovering something wonderfully new in town and were able to easily navigate around the neighborhood. I was thrilled to read that the hotel and staff were also able to exceed your expectation. Thank you for being our guest, and I hope you plan to visit us again in the near future. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally.

All the best!!

Rome, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Atlanta Midtown Renaissance and everything was perfect. The hotel is beautiful, the room was great, the bed was very comfortable, and the front desk staff was very helpful. Dayvid Wilson, who checked us in, was especially nice and made our stay the best possible.
Also: The location is great - Emory Hospital is walking distance and great restaurants are close by.

Room Tip: Loved the king bed. Staying on the higher floor was very nice.
Green Features: Love that it is environmentally friendly! They dimmer lights are great and it's good they conserve water on washing.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joan L
Mark G, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Joan, Thank you much for taking the time to post your excellent experiences regarding your recent visit to the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel. I was really excited to hear that Dayvid created such a memorable expereince for you. I will personally thank him for your kind words and share your comments with our entire Operations team. I am glad you had a chance to explore midtown a bit, we are certainly located in a great location to do so.
Thanks again for the positive feedback and we look forward to your return visit to our hotel.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

I have tried most o the major hotels in the Midtown / Downtown area, but finally settled in here. For a frequent traveler, this is a good place. The rooms are nice, modern, clean and comfortable. The staff learns your name and are friendly and efficient. The "Navigators" are great as well as the bulk of the breakfast staff, both the 2 Hostesses and the waiters bend over backwards to make you feel welcome. The breakfast menu should change up a little some times, but it is a good solid menu and the food is well prepared. I recommend the Eggs Benedict with fruit rather than potatoes on the side.

2 Thank K F
Good evening and thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay at the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel. I love that you have made our hotel your home away from home and look forward to your return visit. You mentioned our Navigators and I thank you for that recognition. They take great pride in find those "hidden gems" for our Discoverer guests to explore. I will be sharing these positive comments with our Operations team including the Briza Restaurant staff.
Thanks again for being our guest and have a great weekend.
Ypsilanti, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

I say i am torn for one reason. Let me start with the good. The staff were wonderful and treated us very well. We stayed for a weekend and the hotel is in a good location. Our room was very clean and nice. We had the pure room which is really just an on the floor filter system which you can turn on and off. We liked it for the white noise. The courtesy van is a nice feature. My problem came when booking. I called this hotel directly "twice" to ask the difference between the regular, deluxe and superior room when booking. Two different people had told me that the superior room had the bigger bathroom with separate tub and shower, so that is the room i desired and booked. When we got there that is not the room we were given and when i called the front desk to tell them what i was told by "two" different employees he politely said i'm sorry they were wrong. That room would of been a $100 up-charge per night. This big mistake by two separate employees causes my rating to drop. I would of rated higher otherwise. Extremely disappointed in this mistake with no offer to make up for it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bram2014
Mark G, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
On behalf of the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, I wanted to personally thank you for providing your feedback regarding your most recent visit. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel and or staff, however it came with some reservation confusion, in which I would like to further explore with you. I would be happy to discuss this with you at your convenience at 678-412-2361, or if you would prefer to email me at mark.giovetti@renaissancehotels.com
I look forward to resolving any outstanding issues and keeping you a loyal guest of the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel.