“NIGHTMARE WEEKEND!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Florence, Alabama, United States
“NIGHTMARE WEEKEND!”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

If you are considering this Marriott please think again! From the time we arrived until check out this place was a nightmare. When we arrived to valet our car that evening the bell boy left one of my bags in the car. It was so late so I decided to wait until morning only to find my car window bashed in and my bag was gone. The policy of the hotel is to have cameras and lighting on the building which they do not have. Police said this was a common place for car thefts. Asked to speak to the manager of the hotel and NOTHING! Also when we arrived there was a intoxicated man that was wondering around the lobby harassing the children and the rest of the guest. I informed the staff and was assured they would handle the situation but two hours later the man is still hanging around the lobby. I had 7 rooms booked and brought families with me. I'm a gold member at Marriott and recommended this hotel. When we came back from our event at GWCC our keys to our room didn't work. Went to the front desk and was told they had moved our rooms! When we finally got back into our rooms they were never cleaned. This place is a joke! Don't waste your money or time!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Mo M
Mark G, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Good morning and thank you for taking the time to speak with myself yesterday morning regarding your stay at The Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel this past weekend. Let me again apologize for the issues that you experienced while being our guest. I truly appreciate you taking the time to discuss your stay with me, and I thank you for allowing me the opportunity to resolve these service shortfalls.
Your valuable feedback is much appreciated and trust that we will continue to make improvements to our operation to better the overall guest experience. We look forward to your return visit.
Mark Giovetti

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Off to the Fox Theatre! Great stay. Big, Clean, Quiet room. Front Desk staff was great. Valet was great. Directions were easy to follow. Restaurant and Walking Directions were right on. Location was perfect for the Fox. I would stay there again. PLUS - the WORK-OUT room was fantastic! and I should know. I'm a trainer and I workout everyday! Aveda toiletries MINUS - No microwave and poor lighting AND does ANY hotel have enough electrical outlets???

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank erinmtn
Mark G, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Good afternoon and thank you for your recent Trip Advisor post. I was thrilled to hear that you had a fantastic visit to Midtown, ATL and our hotel. I appreciate your kind words towards many of our staff members at the reception desk and valet and will personally share you comments with them. In addition, you also provided some valuable feedback / suggestions, which we will take into account as we move forward with making improvements our hotel operation.
Thank you again for being our guest and please let us know how we can assist you in the future.
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 9 February 2014

It appeared that we had to valet our car because there didn't seem to be an adjacent parking garage for self-parking. Although the hotel offered complimentary transportation within 2 miles, the service ends at 9pm. The hotel doesn't have a concierge lounge, so we were provided free breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The room was decorated in a modern style with large windows overlooking midtown.

My husband is a platinum member, so we've stayed at a number of Marriott properties throughout the US and abroad. We've never had anyone ask us to present our AAA card to confirm the rate. I understand that it's their right. However, we were relocating and many of our things were in boxes. Although I explained this, the front desk staff member insisted that I prove membership. After printing a membership card from their "business computers" (one PC located in the lobby), the employee was satisfied and allowed us to take the room.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Good afternoon and thank you for taking the time to share your experiences while staying at The Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Midtown as well as the services and amenities of the hotel. Let me also take the time to thank your husband for being a loyal Marriott Rewards Platinum Member. You are our best customers and I truly appreciate your candid feedback and suggestions. Thank you again for being our guest and the entire team, at The Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, looks forward to your return visit.
GA
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Stayed here for one night with my husband. He got the glasses out to make a drink and there were lipstick lips on one of the glasses. Immediately I think if I can see what, what can't I see. From where I was sitting on the chair, I could see below the desk and it was just loaded with dust, again wonder what dirt I can't see. I'm a Marriott fan and while they are 99% great, it's these little things that you see that make you wonder. Other than that, the location is great, don't use the valet parking for $32, park in the parking deck for $10 and you won't have to wait for someone to bring your vehicle. Breakfast here was one of the best I've had at any Marriott.

Room Tip: Always ask for the upgrade if you're an Elite member and for your free breakfast. At this locati...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tooclean30187
Mark G, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Good evening and thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences regarding your visit to The Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel. You mentioned being a loyal Marriott users and I wanted to thank you for your loyalty to our hotels. It sounds like we had a few challenges, with the cleanliness of you room which I will definitely follow up on, if you could contact me with the registered guest in the room for follow up. I was thrilled to hear you really enjoyed your breakfast in Briza, our destination restaurant. I will share these positive comments with our Chef and the Restaurant management staff.
Thank you again for being our guest and I can be reached at mark.giovetti@renaissancehotels.com
Best Regards,
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I am saddened by this property and held off writing a review, but after I got my credit card statement and noticed that a mistake that I called about the day after I received my e-statement wasn't actually corrected... well it pushed me over the edge. I stayed here in Dec. to give my son a trip to the aquarium for Christmas. We checked in and everyone was pleasant and helpful. We go up to the room and there were obviously housekeeping challenges. My son who was 16 months old was picking up pieces of plastic, metal, tags and a sock holder. This to me, is a BIG deal, as he is still in the phase of putting everything in his mouth. There were no trash cans to even throw them away, I needed to call down for them. After spending time scouring the room for anything else that he could choke on, we finally settled in. We went to dinner and had an ok nights sleep considering the front desk called my room at 9:30pm - the same guy who checked me in and knew I had a toddler (It's a good thing he didn't wake him up). Besides, should you have a question about my reservation - could you not wait until the AM or could you not have called earlier? We checked in at 4pm. the next day we went to the aquarium and arrived back at the hotel around 1pm. We decided to drive back home and I went to the desk to check out. Checked out fine, though the girl at the desk was quite rude. It now makes sense that she didn't know how to do her job properly as they charged me for 2 nights... I call the next day to have the error corrected once I received my statement and they said they caught the error and it was taken care of. Now, a month later I receive my credit card statement and the charges were never reversed. I am hoping accounting is more competent than the front desk and can take care of this quickly. I also thought I had left something in my room and called about that as well... I never received a call back. Luckily, my husband found the item and I didn't need to worry about following up (probably more than once) about it.
The bright note to this property is that it is beautiful and other than the front desk everyone was pleasant and helpful. I hope they can take this experience and learn from it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelBugs113
Mark G, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Good afternoon and thank you for sharing your experiences with your most recent stay at the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel. let me first apologize for the challenges you had with your room and now your billing issue. I certainly want to ensure your billing concern has been taken care of. If you could please provide me with the name that the reservation was under and a way to contact you, I would be happy to resolve this issue.
Thank You and I can be reached at mark.giovetti@renaissancehotels.com 678-412-2361
Thank You...
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

I was booked to stay here for two nights during the IPPE conference in late January, 2014. My original arrival date was the date of a snow storm that forced thousands of flight cancelations so I had to cancel one night. That was a shame, because I was able to arrive for the second night, and really enjoyed my stay. The check-in was efficient, warm and friendly, the manager's reception was a very welcome benefit after a long day of walking the city since transport was down. And the on-site restaurant was excellent, especially considering the trying circumstances for the staff to even be there. I was thrilled even more with my stay after my unsatisfying stay for the next night (previously booked with work colleagues and couldn't cancel in time). I was offered the second night at Renaissance and certainly wished I had stayed here throughout! Some of the staff had 8+ hours in the storm on Tuesday to get to or from work -- I saw their dedication and will recommend again!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MoDC
Mark G, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
MoDC-- Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your most recent stay at the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel. I was excited to read that our staff exceeded your expectations and that you had a fantastic experience at our hotel. Our staff did a remarkable job durng the winter strom last week, and I could not have been any more proud of their dedication to the hotel and to taking great care of our guests. Thank you for recognizing their efforts and I will be sharing your comments with the entire staff.
Have a great week and thank you again for being our guest last week.

GA
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Words cannot express our appreciation to the Renaissance staff in Atlanta. My wife was caught in "snowjam 2014" and stopped in front of the hotel. Going above and beyond doesn't describe their hospitality. They valet'd her car and allowed her to leave it for 5 days- free of charge. She went into the hotel with nothing and they helped her with a full line of toiletries. They told her she was welcome to hang out as long as she needed to- with or without a room. She was able to get a room for the night. Without their friendly faces and welcome manner, she would have been another one of the thousands trapped in their cars for 10+ hours. Thank you sincerely. We look forward to staying at the renaissance in a non emergency situation.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank JM2005
JM2005-- It was our pleasure to assist your wife during the winter storm last week. I was thrilled to hear that we opens our doors for her, while she was stranded and were able to get her a warm room. I will definitely share your kind words with all of our staff, while thanking them for showing their genuine care and concern for your wife. Thank you for posting your positive experiences on Trip Advisor and let us know if we can ever be of further assistance.