“Weekend trip to ATL”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Orlando, Florida
“Weekend trip to ATL”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I booked this hotel for a weekend trip to Atlanta. It is in an amazing part of town close to numerous restaurants and MARTA. I was very impressed with the hotel overall and would stay here again on my next trip if available. Parking is pricy (as is the case with most big city hotels), so I chose to self park in a lot a block away. City meters in front of the hotel are enforced Mon-Sat until 10 pm, but meters a block away are only enforced until 6 pm and free on Sundays. My room had an amazing view of the midtown skyline. Friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
ZachCurry, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Thank you goTBrays for letting us know about your stay with us. We appreciate the time you took to let everyone know about us and our great location. Look forward to your return to ATL.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was my first time coming to Atlanta,Ga and staying at the Renassance Mid-town and it was the best hotel I ever stayed in. The pictures online was exactly like the hotel .The check in service was awesome and the velvet guys was the most outstanding. I never seen a business with all employees are wonderful. I will stay here everytime I visit Atlanta. Hands down this is the best hotel ever. The wifi could be cheaper a night. Keep the great customer service up. You have an awesome team

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Anita F
Anita F thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us. We pride ourselves on great customer service- we will keep it going! Hope to see you back soon.
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 4 August 2014

From the moment I arrived to the time I left, everyone was extremely friendly at this hotel. I was there for work and they gave me a LOVELY room. When you're traveling for work and encounter such nice service, it is so appreciated!! Would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone for business or pleasure - a beautiful place! Thank you again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lindsey W
It is great to hear about your stay with us Lindey W! Thank you for helping to spread the word about our hotel. Look forward to your return.
United States
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I recently stayed at this property and was most impressed by the staff. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. In particular, the valet staff and my housekeeper, Stephanie, were excellent. I also really enjoyed the friendly man and woman who managed the complimentary happy hour, which I only had the chance to attend once. Individual towels -- for drying hands -- in the downstairs bathrooms are a nice effort at sustainability.

By sprawling Atlanta standards, this is an excellent location: a few turns from the highway, a couple minutes walking from the Metra station, 10 minutes from Piedmont Park and surrounded by a number of restaurants and bars. This is about as good as it gets in terms of a walkable urban/pedestrian environment in Atlanta.

Rooms are nice -- particularly appreciated the dimmer in the bathroom so I didn't have to turn on the bright lights in the middle of the night (great feature!) -- and my king room on the 14th floor was on the corner with a nice view of both Georgia Tech and Midtown. The bed was also extremely comfortable and the sheets were very clean, crisp and high quality. Water pressure in the shower is lovely and outstanding, although I prefer a handheld wand to a fixed shower head. Some elements of the rooms, though, need to be replaced. The bedside lamps are a bit tired (some rust), and the make-up mirror in my bathroom was coming out of the wall.

Also, while the hotel was kind enough to waive the basic internet charge for my room, this should be done as a matter of course. (For example, the Renaissance Washington DC Convention Center Hotel never charges for basic wifi access -- which, coincidentally, is also about $5 cheaper than this hotel at list price -- if you even ask them at the front desk how the Internet works, they will immediately waive the fee as a courtesy for all guests: Priceline or direct booking.) I understand that wifi is a major profit center for hotels denied telephone revenue in the age of mobile phones, but as Anthony Melchiorri has stated, wifi is the "pen and paper of 2014 and should be included in the room rate." It's (maybe) fine to charge more for premium access, but the basic internet at this hotel is only about 2.5 mbps, which is actually significantly slower than most Starbucks stores now offer for free. I'm sure that the Marriott brand forces this hotel to charge something for wifi, but there's no reason why the management can't follow the lead of other hotels and waive the charge without question if a guest inquires about access. Many people, myself included, now work as independent contractors and consultants for large organizations, and we can't just "charge" the cost to our employer. And, no, free access in the lobby is not an adequate substitute.

My rant about the abusiveness of charging for (very basic, barely high-speed) internet aside, this hotel is a good option for visitors who really need to be anywhere in central Atlanta. The staff are lovely and I hope that the hardworking housekeepers and valet guys -- literally running down the sidewalk in the oppressive Atlanta heat in order to ensure guests get their cars in a prompt fashion -- see some of the profits from the expensive wifi reflected in their salaries.

Room Tip: Corner rooms on higher floors offer nice views of Atlanta's dramatic skyline.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
ZachCurry, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Great to hear the majority of your stay went well. We appreciate the feedback on the internet pricing.
Douglasville, Georgia
Reviewed 3 August 2014

this was the best hotel I have been in. They made us comfortable from the moment we pulled up to valet parking. The rooms were clean and beds very comfortable. the service desk staff were friendly and polite, lots of smiles and thank-yous.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lOu195531
ZachCurry, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. Great to hear it all went great!! Look forward to your return visit in the future.
Geneva, Illinois
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I frequently stay at the Rennaisance Atlanta Midtown for business. The hotel and the guest rooms are very nice, clean and comfortable. The beds are more comfortable than the mine at home. While I have other hotel options in the area, I choose to stay here due to the excellent service. The front desk staff is very helpful. I frequently order room service while I'm working in my hotel room - - The staff is always friendly, accomodating and kind - - Always attentive to my needs. I frequently see Lynn and Keith delivering my food - - Excellent employees!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Leticia B
ZachCurry, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for writing a review and helping to tell the story of our hotel. Lynn and Keith will be thrilled to know your mentioned them by name. Looking forward to your next visit to Atlanta!
Menifee, California
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I found this hotel to be outstanding! The staff is unbelievable! I was there for a week earlier this month and everyday upon my return to the hotel I was not greeted with the standard howzit going but rather "Welcome Home." I had a few boxes of heavy brochures sent to me at the hotel but it turned out I did not need them. The next day while at the free wine tasting Troy asked me if I received my boxes and I said yes but I need to get a cart and bring them down to return them. He asked if I needed any help but I said no but he simply would not take no for an answer provided me with the FedEx paperwork picked up the boxes and took care of everything. Okay so maybe your saying big deal, so what that's what a hotel is supposed to do; well listen to this!
On the last day of our stay Akbar who greeted me with a smile everyday asked me how the trip had been going and what we were doing for dinner that night. I explained we had some great dinners at the nearby eateries but we were very disappointed that we were never able to find authentic Peach Cobbler. He insisted that we needed to find the cobbler before we went back home and asked that we follow him to the computer to find the best place. He found Mary Macs but we would have to take a cab and we really just wanted to walk to somewhere close by so he continued to look. He insisted that Mary Macs was the best but after about 5 minutes several guests had shown up to check in and the line was growing so we said thanks for all your efforts but don't worry about it. That was a big effort on his part and we really appreciated it! Ultimately we decided to have dinner at the hotel (excellent short ribs) and Akbar welcomed us back. At the end of our dinner Akbar walked up to our table and said he could not have us go home without experiencing the best cobbler in ATL and he presented us with two HOT servings of peach cobbler from Mary Macs! What, are you kidding me - this is the kind of service reserved for the Ritz Carlton not a Renaissance. I have been a heavy business traveler for 25 years and I found Akbar and the staff at this property to set the new standard for service. Stop by and say hello to Akbar - he is the man!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jay D
Greetings... thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with everyone. We have a very special team here and your review helps to tell our story. We look forward to your return to Atlanta!! Cheers.