“Renaissance Atlanta Midtown”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Renaissance Atlanta Midtown”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My experience at this hotel was great. The lobby, rooftop bar, restaurant, and room were all beautifully appointed with modern decor. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It's my new favorite in Atlanta.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank C J V
ZachCurry, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Thank you C J V for your review! Look forward to you coming back to your new favorite hotel in Atlanta.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Williamston, Michigan
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Renaissance Midtown for a family wedding. The rooms were clean, the beds were super comfortable, the shower pressure was excellent. We also had a great view of the Atlanta skyline. The staff was friendly and helpful and there is a great restaurant and bar attached to the hotel with good food and staff that are both personable and attentive. One of the extra features we really enjoyed were the "porch chairs" in front of the hotel. Watching the diversity of guests come and go, and the procession of valeted cars was quite entertaining. We would definitely return to this hotel and we highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Atlanta skyline.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ozz2013
It is great to hear from you Ozz2013. Thank you for the many favorable comments and helping us to spread the word about about our hotel. Look forward to your return to Atlanta.
Jacksonville
Reviewed 4 August 2014

While normally not serving certain items at the roof top bar, Ashley, Sierra and Joe made sure that I received everything I wanted - including French fries. I normally stay at another hotel in Atlanta but will stay here again for their specific above and beyond service.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Rstldr
Rstldr thank you for your Rocking Staff review... Ashley, Sierra and Joe are super stars and great to hear you received the very best. Thank you!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I booked this hotel for a weekend trip to Atlanta. It is in an amazing part of town close to numerous restaurants and MARTA. I was very impressed with the hotel overall and would stay here again on my next trip if available. Parking is pricy (as is the case with most big city hotels), so I chose to self park in a lot a block away. City meters in front of the hotel are enforced Mon-Sat until 10 pm, but meters a block away are only enforced until 6 pm and free on Sundays. My room had an amazing view of the midtown skyline. Friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you goTBrays for letting us know about your stay with us. We appreciate the time you took to let everyone know about us and our great location. Look forward to your return to ATL.
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was my first time coming to Atlanta,Ga and staying at the Renassance Mid-town and it was the best hotel I ever stayed in. The pictures online was exactly like the hotel .The check in service was awesome and the velvet guys was the most outstanding. I never seen a business with all employees are wonderful. I will stay here everytime I visit Atlanta. Hands down this is the best hotel ever. The wifi could be cheaper a night. Keep the great customer service up. You have an awesome team

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Anita F
Anita F thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us. We pride ourselves on great customer service- we will keep it going! Hope to see you back soon.
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 4 August 2014

From the moment I arrived to the time I left, everyone was extremely friendly at this hotel. I was there for work and they gave me a LOVELY room. When you're traveling for work and encounter such nice service, it is so appreciated!! Would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone for business or pleasure - a beautiful place! Thank you again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lindsey W
It is great to hear about your stay with us Lindey W! Thank you for helping to spread the word about our hotel. Look forward to your return.
United States
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I recently stayed at this property and was most impressed by the staff. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. In particular, the valet staff and my housekeeper, Stephanie, were excellent. I also really enjoyed the friendly man and woman who managed the complimentary happy hour, which I only had the chance to attend once. Individual towels -- for drying hands -- in the downstairs bathrooms are a nice effort at sustainability.

By sprawling Atlanta standards, this is an excellent location: a few turns from the highway, a couple minutes walking from the Metra station, 10 minutes from Piedmont Park and surrounded by a number of restaurants and bars. This is about as good as it gets in terms of a walkable urban/pedestrian environment in Atlanta.

Rooms are nice -- particularly appreciated the dimmer in the bathroom so I didn't have to turn on the bright lights in the middle of the night (great feature!) -- and my king room on the 14th floor was on the corner with a nice view of both Georgia Tech and Midtown. The bed was also extremely comfortable and the sheets were very clean, crisp and high quality. Water pressure in the shower is lovely and outstanding, although I prefer a handheld wand to a fixed shower head. Some elements of the rooms, though, need to be replaced. The bedside lamps are a bit tired (some rust), and the make-up mirror in my bathroom was coming out of the wall.

Also, while the hotel was kind enough to waive the basic internet charge for my room, this should be done as a matter of course. (For example, the Renaissance Washington DC Convention Center Hotel never charges for basic wifi access -- which, coincidentally, is also about $5 cheaper than this hotel at list price -- if you even ask them at the front desk how the Internet works, they will immediately waive the fee as a courtesy for all guests: Priceline or direct booking.) I understand that wifi is a major profit center for hotels denied telephone revenue in the age of mobile phones, but as Anthony Melchiorri has stated, wifi is the "pen and paper of 2014 and should be included in the room rate." It's (maybe) fine to charge more for premium access, but the basic internet at this hotel is only about 2.5 mbps, which is actually significantly slower than most Starbucks stores now offer for free. I'm sure that the Marriott brand forces this hotel to charge something for wifi, but there's no reason why the management can't follow the lead of other hotels and waive the charge without question if a guest inquires about access. Many people, myself included, now work as independent contractors and consultants for large organizations, and we can't just "charge" the cost to our employer. And, no, free access in the lobby is not an adequate substitute.

My rant about the abusiveness of charging for (very basic, barely high-speed) internet aside, this hotel is a good option for visitors who really need to be anywhere in central Atlanta. The staff are lovely and I hope that the hardworking housekeepers and valet guys -- literally running down the sidewalk in the oppressive Atlanta heat in order to ensure guests get their cars in a prompt fashion -- see some of the profits from the expensive wifi reflected in their salaries.

Room Tip: Corner rooms on higher floors offer nice views of Atlanta's dramatic skyline.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
ZachCurry, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Great to hear the majority of your stay went well. We appreciate the feedback on the internet pricing.