“Nice surprise but bring the earplugs”

Motel 6 Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #133 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Pensacola, Florida
“Nice surprise but bring the earplugs”
Reviewed 10 May 2013

We decided to take a last-minute weekend trip to Atlanta, and were surprised to find a place downtown for such a reasonable price. Even though it's literally right next door to the Hilton, the free wifi and free parking made it an even better deal in such a prime location. My wife and I typically choose cheap rooms since we travel to see the sites and not hang out in the room watching tv. If this is your style too, I strongly recommend the downtown motel 6. Super helpful and friendly staff too.

But now for the bad news. Just on the other side of the hotel and down an embankment is a major highway. If you have any sensitivity to noise you better bring the earplugs to get any sleep.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel might be a little quieter as it is further from the road. Enjoy the free park...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Micheal247

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2013

This place is as basic an accommodation as you can get in downtown Atlanta while still being suitable. Yes there is free parking but this place is so cheap that they don't even give you free shampoo in the bathroom - just two little bars of facial soap. Place isn't in the greatest area (downtown Atlanta is kind of sketchy at night) but is centrally located. For a healthy restaurant nearby I recommend Metrofresh - it's less than a ten minute drive and totally worth it! Basic cheap motel quality beds, old TVs, frustrating elevator that takes forever to close and absolutely NO FRILLS. Got it for $53/night using a coupon code on the Motel6 website.

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd floor room with a city view as others have suggested, it worked out well for me.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank w999

Travellers are raving about these Atlanta hotels

St. Augustine, FL
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Let me start off by saying I have loved this Motel 6 location in the past, and have recommended it to friends and family since we started staying here several years ago. The overall value is great: a low price for basic beds, bathroom and free parking. We've stayed here with friends, we've stayed on our own, and this year we returned for our annual trip to vend at conventions in the downtown area, with our infant daughter.

We stayed two different weekends in a row: March 7-11, then again March 15-18. Our first weekend stay was without incident, and went as expected. Our second stay was also without incident, until Sunday evening, when we returned to find that our room had been unexpectedly serviced by housekeeping. (There are door tags that say "Do Not Disturb" on one side, and "Maid Service Please" on the other - we did not hang the tag requesting housekeeping that day.) This was fine, until I went to administer my daughter's evening medication, which included saline drops to help with a mild cough. The can, fairly large in size but light in weight since it was a spray, was nowhere to be found, despite having been left on the bedside table, next to her eye drops. We looked all over the room, under the beds, and could not find it anywhere, so we can only assume it had been mistaken for empty by housekeeping staff, even though the can was nowhere near the garbage can. (The empty water jug and empty takeout box that had been seated next to the trash can, though, had not been removed- and when we looked behind the beds, we found lids to plastic Kool Aid bottles. Hopefully no bugs have moved in because of those...) When my husband went to complain to the front desk staff about the removal of the saline spray, he was told nothing could be done and that we could discuss the problem with the manager, and was given a business card with the manager's e-mail and phone number on it.

Upon returning to the room, my husband decided to adjust the temperature so opened the curtain to change the knob on the air conditioner. After opening the curtain, he found that the window had been left unlatched and partially open. This is particularly unsettling, because each room has balconies, and the windows do not have screens, so essentially our room was left unsecured (by housekeeping? I don't know how long this window was left open?) while we were out for the day. We never would have noticed this had my husband not opened the curtain. Not only were we concerned for our own safety (and that of our baby daughter) but also the fact that, as event vendors, we are often leaving items in our hotel room (extra stock, display setup, etc.) that might be of some value.
We did not bother approaching the front desk with this problem, because right on the heels of our earlier complaint, we only expected to be told again that nothing could be done and we should address the issue with the manager. Since we already had the manager's business card, we just made sure our room was actually secured, and went to bed. The manager has since been e-mailed, since our morning departure was before the manager's arrival.

In the long run... this motel accomplishes what it needs to. However, it is no longer as clean (the housekeepers are an elderly couple, and while they could keep up with tending to the basic needs of the rooms, apparently cleaning out garbage debris from behind the beds is not something they do regularly) nor do I feel as secure in the rooms, so we will not be staying here again in the future, at least not so long as we are working at events in the downtown area. A shame, too, because for several years running, this location has been absolutely the best bang for our bucks.

Room Tip: The back side of the motel faces the expressway and is slightly noisier at night.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank crssafox
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 17 February 2013

This Motel 6 on itself is what we know about Motel 6: neat but nothing fancy, just basic without any extra's (like breakfast, coffeemaker, microwave or fridge). There is free morning coffee until 10 am though.
But it is the location that makes this motel commendable. It is the only affordable motel in downtown Atlanta within walking distance of all important sights. Better yet: as far as we know, it's even the only downtown motel. The motel is easy attainable from the interstate, has its own free parking and is in a good neighborhood (right behind the Hilton Hotel). We didn't need the car to see all what downtown Atlanta offers. And besides all this, let's not forget that we experienced friendly, helpful staff.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank John W
Morristown TN
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Okay, - a bed, a bible and a big TV - just what you come to expect from a Motel 6. Anything extra is usually a bad thing. My room, bath, and bed were clean. The AC was quiet. The location is superb, in the heart of downtown Atlanta and the rate is extremely affordable - a bargain by any standards.

The staff were more than friendly and helpful - they were actually KIND! Very approachable, down-to-earth folk.

If you wish to spend a night for under $100, without the worry of bugs, thugs, smells or filth, you have a home here!

Enjoy your stay in Hot-Lanta!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Wiley T
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Tis Motel 6 in downtown Atlanta, Ga is about a good 10 minute walk from the MARTA Civic Center station or 10 minute walk from the Peachtree Center station with plenty of restaraunts and clubs along the way. Excellent location although it is right over one of the downtown expressways, the noise is minimal from the traffic and the value is one of the cheapest rates in the downtown area.

The front desk staff is very friendly and willing to help in any way they can. There is free hot coffee avail in the morning starting at 6am for the guests. I would highly reccomend this location based on value and location.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Clyde M
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I recently spent 3 nights here whilst in Atlanta on business and when driving up it is a little disappointing compared with the neighbouring hotels. I made my booking just days before my trip at a time when most of Atlanta downtown was fully booked and the price was approximately the same as a more upmarket hotel, had I booked well in advance. The location is excellent for walking to nearby sights and restaurants but I found myself attracting the attention of quite a few vagrants as there are very few people walking around here at night (just a block over and it's much better).

The staff were all incredibly friendly and helpful, but possibly overly polite - I've never been thanked for holding my credit card rather than placing it in the counter before. Obviously this isn't really a complaint and is possibly a cultural thing, being European I'm unaccustomed to being spoken to so formally.

The room, at the rear of the hotel, was quite comfortable and even though I was next to the ice-machine and there was traffic going past outside I wasn't kept awake (I was exhausted so maybe I'd have slept through anything). The king bed was fine, as were the bedding, pillows and heating. The wi-fi was incredibly good from the room I was in and this allowed me to work more effectively here than in considerably more expensive business hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business