“couldn't ask for more for the money” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Motel 6 Atlanta Downtown

Motel 6 Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #129 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
“couldn't ask for more for the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I disagree with trip advisor calling a 3 rating average. I thought about giving this a 4, but imo that should be reserved for chains that aren't budget hotels. (not that theres anything wrong with that)
I was sorta concerned before arrival since my family is with me for a short off season vacation and lets be honest -this is a motel 6- but we were very pleased. Proof that the staff is key! Clean clean clean and the front end staff was friendly, efficient and seemed to take pride in thier jobs. a rare thing these days for sure. Went out for breakfast so no opinion there,but all else was great. We planned to just be there to shower and sleep, but truly felt relaxed and welcome at all times.

Room Tip: Our room was on the first floor and had no noise from above. Slept like babies!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Bronx, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

I just got back from a short conference trip to Atlanta and highly recommend the Motel 6 Downtown. Short answer is that I'd absolutely stay there again and recommend it to others on a budget or looking for a good value in non-luxury accommodations.

Location: in downtown Atlanta and in walking distance of the Civic Center and the other major hotels. If you're going there for a conference (Mine was at the Sheraton, which was about a 5-minute stroll down Courtland St.) or some sort of large gathering, it's likely that you can easily walk to your destination. It’s about a 15-minute walk to Coca-Cola World and Georgia Tech’s downtown campus; a little farther to GT’s main campus. It's a few blocks walk to the Metro (Atlanta's subway), which provides quick, inexpensive airport access. (Tip: there's little benefit to taking a cab or shuttle unless it's a large group or you have a lot of luggage.) The location itself is somewhat isolated, even though it's only a couple of blocks from the main streets. That has more to do with the central biz district location and the fact that much of Atlanta is spread out and not particularly transit-oriented than anything else. There are restaurants and things to do within walking distance, but many of the more interesting places will close somewhat early.

The surrounding neighborhood itself is fine, if unexciting. It's on the edge of downtown, so there isn't much foot traffic on Courtland St, but I'd say that it's safe and I had absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Service/ Rooms: The staff here is excellent, from the incredibly professional and helpful Ben at the front desk to the manager Bipin, both of whom remembered my name and were quick to help with anything.

My room was recently renovated, as is the exterior of the motel. They did a good job for what is an economy motel chain. It's not luxury, but the rooms don't look cheap either. Furniture is new, the bathroom was well-finished, and everything worked. It was also spotlessly clean and stayed that way throughout my stay: the housekeeping staff here is thorough. The bed was so-so: about what can be expected for a chain of this level. You won’t think you’re at the Hyatt, but it was fine. The view is nonexistent: the motel faces an interstate on the back. This adds some noise at night from passing traffic. I kept the curtains drawn most of the time. I slept fine (and I'm a light sleeper), but folks who are very sensitive to noise might have problems. Asking for a room in the front of the motel would help, but be aware that there's probably not much that can be done because of the location. If you're very picky, you might want to look elsewhere.

I opted for a room with a small fridge and microwave. Both were clean and worked fine. They cost $10/ extra per night. Contrary to one of the other reviews, Motel 6’s reservation site clearly points this out and gives you the option: at least it did when I made my reservation.

They offer free WiFi access that really works: this is a plus since the big name hotels charge you extra. There's no business center onsite, though there are Kinkos-type places nearby for copying/printing needs. No fitness center either, but there are some decent areas to walk/ jog nearby and places downtown that offer short-term gym membership. Parking is free for one car/ room also. I didn't need it, but factor this in as well: many of the other downtown hotels will charge (a lot) extra and sometimes parking is offsite and (judging by reviews) not particularly secure.

I don’t want to sound like I’m damning them with faint praise here: this is a top-notch operation run by real professionals who clearly take a lot of pride in their work and care for their guests’ comfort—much more than could be expected for this class of motel and better than the service I’ve gotten at some luxury chains. It’s a rare find and unbeatable value for downtown Atlanta. I just wish I could find a place like this everywhere I need to go.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank BronxReviewer
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed here 2 nights for a conference in Atlanta. I was initially a little afraid of what I'd gotten myself into, given its proximity to Atlanta downtown and very low price.

Check-in was hassle-free and smooth. the room itself was basic but clean and pest-free. Bathroom was clean and free of odours or unsightly stains. My room didn't have a mini-fridge. The air conditioner worked as promised. Noise level was more than acceptable, given that I was given a parking lot-facing room on the 1st (main) floor.

There was no issues whatsoever with my stay; I would stay here again. Very good value for money.

The only tip I would give is that it would be worthwhile to take a taxicab to the hotel, rather than walk from the nearby MARTA station, when arriving late at night!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

For money we spent in this motel, the location and the free parking that comes with it is unbeatable. Its odd to see motel between tall buildings of stars hotel.

The room is typical motel, but when we come in it is suprizingly clean. We took 2 queen microfridge room. the microwave is ok, but the fridge is not as cold as we need. but we have the same problem with stars hotel we spent earlier in other city.

It is within walking distance to Georgia Aquarium and world of coca-cola, or about 5 mins driving.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank squallrine
Charlottetown
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

The best thing about this motel is its location. It's only a 10 minute walk to the Aquarium, World of Coke and Centennial Park. There is also ample free parking, including underground parking.

The room we were in was pretty small and had a bit of a musty smell. It was, however, clean and the bathroom looked like it had been updated more recently than the main room. The air conditioner was problematic. It cycled every 15 or 20 minutes and with each cycle it sounds like a train leaving the station. Suffice to say, the first night of sleep was not a great one. Somehow we fixed the problem before our second night of sleep, but I'd check your air conditioner before settling in for the night and request a different room if it sounds loud and you have trouble sleeping.

The motel is pretty simple - no frills here, but the two staff members I encountered at the front desk were both very friendly and helpful, which can make a big difference to a weary traveler!

Be sure to bring your own shampoo and condition and don't plan on drying your hair while at this motel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Shannon C
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel during the DragonCon convention, and I found it to be quite a pleasant surprise. I moved to this hotel after I got disgusted with the fancier Atlanta "W" hotel, and cut my reservation short with them. I haven't regretted my decision since after moving to this hotel for the rest of the convention.

The service was good, and the clerks were quite helpful. The location is also very centrally located, and you could easily walk up to the Hilton next door within in a few short minutes.

The rooms are quite clean & comfortable, and it's basically a no frills hotel,. While it's certainly not a super fancy hotel like the other main hotels, it suited my needs perfectly.

I also slept very well at this hotels, and the beds were actually quite comfy.

The cleaning maid was very nice too, and when I forgot my jacket in the room when I was checking out, she rushed out personally to give me the jacket.

The only drawback is that the water pressure on the shower is really low, and they need to fix that.

Overall, if you are looking to stay in downtown Atlanta during a convention, and don't care about the extra fancy bells & whistles at the other major hotels, this hotel would suit your needs quite nicely.

Room Tip: This hotel is a good value, if you are staying in downtown Atlanta for a convention.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Braselton, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

I made my reservations nearly a year ago because I knew the holiday weekend was going to be booked crazy. Atlanta on the Labor day weekend is always crazy. There's Dragon*Con with a record of 57,000 people in attendance this year (2013) and then all the major opening season games (Alabama vs VT) so getting an early booking is a must.

I drove in from Alabama and got a room with 2 doubles in it for about $177 (with tax) a night. Not terrible considering the location. It's right down town next to the major Dragon*Con hotels and located close to all of the nice restaurants (Max Lager Brew Pub, Fire of Brazil, etc).

As for the actual hotel though I was a little disappointed. I understand that a Motel 6 isn't supposed to have the quality of a Marriot, or a Hyatt, or a Hilton, but it was just sort of lacking this year.

The building itself is from the late 70s early 80s (based on the floor plan, and the construction style). Security isn't really too bad. A guest must have their key to get access to the inner part of the hotel at all times. So just because you can walk in the front door, and even ride the old elevator, doesn't mean you can actually get to your door. This actually caused me a little problem because I ran out to my car for a moment leaving a friend and my key in the hotel room. When I went to get back in I couldn't even get through the door to access my hotel room door because you must have a keycard to enter any of the floors. Personally I understand it's my fault for leaving my key, and I'm glad for the extra layer of security. Just remember to ALWAYS have your keycard.

Upon entering my room though it was another story. The room was approaching 85 degrees when we got there in the mid afternoon (3pm local). And smelled of old sour (VERY sour) towels. There was even a hint of cigarette smoke as well. Luckily we had to be somewhere else in hurry so we dropped our gear and headed out making sure the AC was blowing ice cold air (which is did ALL weekend! :) ).

Upon returning the room had chilled down immensely and the smell had dissipated some. We found if we shut off the bathroom the smell dissipated so we deduced that the smell was coming from somewhere in the plumbing (it smelled like the drain to the bathtub specifically).

The beds weren't great, but they offered a place to lay one's head. I woke up multiple times with a soar back in the morning, but nothing a little Aleve wouldn't knock out.

There was no breakfast like in years past, but the manager and assistants were as helpful as they could be. My friend was in need of a hair dryer and they had one to borrow, no questions asked.

The stay was uneventful, but do be careful. The small door hanger you set out on the handle to "Not be Disturbed" has 2 sides. My friend knew they were coming around and so placed it outside our door, only for the door to be knocked on twice. I thought it might be the housekeeping staff not reading the sign. But upon on inspection the placard actually has a "Do Not Disturb" side and a "Housekeeping Please" side. Morale of the story, make sure you select the right side!

Check out was simple and easy and I will stay here again in the future mainly due to it's location.

One of the things I value most about this hotel is it's free parking. Yes I said free. When many of the other hotels charge $20+ for a night or the local parking lots even more, it's nice to have a place you can drive in and out of without a problem. Mind you the manager takes this parking very seriously so place your hotel-given parking permit in your window or you run the risk of being towed (we saw this happen multiple times). Seriously, its not hard to put the piece of paper on your dashboard!

So in closing will I stay here again? Absolutely. Do I understand that it's an older building with some renovations that need to be done? Yep. Do I enjoy the free parking, the location, and the fact it's relatively quiet and secure? No question there.

Pros:
- FREE Parking
- Quiet
- Secure

Cons:
- Older building
- No Double Queen Rooms
- Minimal Amenities

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles