“Good Stopover”

Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway
Ranked #13 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed here twice when traveling as a stopover between flights. We really have no complaints. We were on the concierge floor and the rooms were both nice and modern and clean. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. Check-in was a breeze both times. We had a lovely breakfast in the concierge lounge the first time through and the second time we were leaving too early (before breakfast opened) and asked the night before if we could have a few things to take to our room to make our own "small" breakfast and the lady helped us with that - some fruit and yogurt etc.

The restaurant looks more like a bar at first but when they seat you in the back restaurant area it is quite nice and quiet. The restaurant is very relaxed style but the food was quite good. Portions were generally large.

Yes, the rooms are probably more of a standard size, but I prefer modern/clean over large and old. The windows could be bigger - I saw the picture from the outside and wondered why they made the windows so small and I had the same feeling when I was in my room too. In this day and age one would think there would be bigger windows. However with the planes so close perhaps that isn't a good idea for noise. The noise didn't bother me but I'm generally not bothered by noise.

It is easy access from the airport - just make sure you pay attention to which rail you get on - one goes to Atlanta - the other one goes to the car rental and this hotel and a convention center.

We enjoyed our stay. Housekeeping was quick to bring us extra things we requested and it was a nice one night break for us.

1  Thank bythebaytoday
Write a ReviewReviews (1,214)

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Kevin, Director of Operations, emailed me and addressed at length my comments. In addition to providing a complimentary night's stay, he also included breakfast buffet on my next visit. The shower had a rubber mat and I was genuinely welcomed back when I checked in. His thoughtful professional reply and actions regarding my experience encouraged me to stay again and remain a loyal Marriott customer.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank TheHousekeeper
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Over the years I have stayed at hundreds of Marriott properties. From Fairfield Inns to Ritz Carlton and all the levels in between. This property does not deserve to be called by the name of Marriott.

Our check in and valet went very well but it was downhill from there. First the bartender poured the house vodka when we had requested the premium brand. Just a little thing, right?

Then breakfast where something my wife ate made her ill. After recovering we decided it might not have been the food, so we went back for lunch. Not to bore, it was substandard service and when I asked to speak to the manager, he ignored me while I watched him help clear tables. What really bothered me was instead of just listening to my complaint, he made the excuse that they were very busy. It was almost 2:00pm and the restaurant was not even half full with no one waiting for a table.

I finally went to see the hotel manager who was not there because it was Sunday. All I wanted was someone to say they were sorry for the poor service.

The room, on the concierge floor was nice although very small by Marriott standards. I went back and forth between this property and the Airport Marriott where I have stayed before and I wish I had stayed there.

They charged for both parking and internet and the restaurant was moderately expensive. It was also the first Marriott without an upscale restaurant on property.

All in all, for these prices you expect better service.

3  Thank chrispete24
Reviewed 22 March 2012

This hotel is about 2 years old, in a complex that is connected to the airport via a rail link. (NOTE: This raik link is a rail spur that ONLY goes to this hotel/convention area, and the car rental center. The rail to downtown Atlanta and elsewhere is MARTA, which is different. Also note-there is also a "Convention Center" in downtown Atlanta; this is a different one). The hotel is modern, and nice. Not the quietest, so you will hear plane and rail noise. Service is friendly, but we did have to deal with several glitches-confusion over our checkout date which repeatedly voided our room keys; glitches with the parking; slow service in the restaurant. Fitness center is nice, bright, but no cups, pool was locked one morning-you get the picture.

This hotel is best for those who are doing things at the GATEWAY Convention Center, or are staying there during an airport connection/early departure/missed flight. The rail link is reliable and convenient!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank roadwarrierMD
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed here for an overnight while awaiting a morning flight. Access to/from the airport is super easy via the new train. Rooms were quiet, clean, and comfortable. Desk service was also very nice. I could easily stay here again when travel plans require an overnight in Atlanta.

1  Thank mooneynut
Reviewed 17 March 2012

If you have an early flight at the Atlanta airport, or miss your connection (like I did thanks to Delta's lack of courtesy and consideration), this hotel will serve you well. Take th Skytrain from the terminal to the hotel and get there in 3 minutes. The rooms are very clean and large. The staff is real friendly.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank HowFtLaud
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights this past week, the first time for an overnight in Atlanta prior to our trip to St. Lucia, and again on the trip home due to Delta's delays causing us to miss our connection home. I was so impressed with the hotel the week before that I told my husband that if Delta didn't give us a voucher for this hotel we would pay for it ourselves and stay here. Good thing for Delta (I was furious with them and the reasons for their delays...) that the Delta agent rebooking us pulled up a voucher for the Marriott!

The room is very nice, brand new, soundproof and the bed is extremely comfortable. I never heard a plane once. When they tell you it's a 2 minute ride from the skytrain they mean it! We got our luggage in baggage claim, walked out the door and were checked in and in our room in under 15 minutes from the time we collected our bags! The lobby is gorgeous and the lobby bar very nice as well.

We ate at Champions which is their restaurant and sports bar. While the atmosphere is great the service is absolutely TERRIBLE in the bar area! I agree completely with a previous posters review of the bar. I really don't understand it at all. I almost wish we had sat in the restaurant once to see if it was soley a bar staff thing or the restaurant itself. I'm inclined to think it's the bar staff because I would have to ask 2 or 3 times for another glass of wine or a glass of water. We ordered dinner and waited forever for it. ON our 2nd night there we were there very late, around 11:30. I was exhausted from all of the lines to wait for vouchers etc for our missed connection. I ordered a drink and an appetizer as did my husband. Our drinks came right away but I had to ask 3 times for some water to take some motrin. I watched our waitress just hanging out at the bar. I saw other patrons waiting forever as well for food unhappily. After waiting about 25 minutes for our appetizers I finally flagged our waitress over and told her we were exhausted and just wanted to leave. She went quickly back to the kitchen and "voila" our food appeared. The bar servers have to physically walk back to the kitchen to check on the food and if they get caught up in something else you're not going to see your food for a LONG time. Food was good, just terrible service. If you want to eat here and don't want to linger, DON'T sit in the bar!

This would always be my choice in hotel while staying in Atlanta for an overnight before or after a flight. Highly recommend just don't sit in the bar if you're in a hurry.

1  Thank RP8133