“Needs Better Service and Attitude”

Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway
Ranked #12 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Very convenient to airport, with Sky Train that connects hotel with domestic terminals. Used hotel for an overnight stay when returning from Germany. Be sure to note that the train does not connect with the completely separate international terminal at Hartsfield – you have to take a cramped, small shuttle van. As for the facility, it is just over a year old so the soft and hard goods are in great shape. The bed is very comfortable. Stayed on the concierge level, which offers evening light meal and breakfast. Full of regulars who the hostess knew well – otherwise, you feel like an interloper. Front desk staff could really use some polishing when it comes to customer service and positive attitude. I used rewards points and the front desk tried to tell me my reservation afforded me a concierge level room (no difference there) but no access to the concierge lounge! I raised a fuss and they acquiesced – not my idea of service after a 10 hour flight and 6 time zones.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,226)

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I was there for a few days for a conference, and I think the hotel is great for that purpose: you need somewhere very nice, good for business, and with easy access to ATL--there's a convenient 5 minute people-mover/monorail that, to my understanding, just makes that loop, to/from the airport. You exit the station and you're about 40 yards from the hotel. As one person with our group put it, it's a "businessman's jail"--which sounds pretty negative, but is acurate to the extent that there's NOTHING else around it--looked like an empty warehouse across the street.

The hotel itself was modern-looking, well-maintained, and the staff was very professional. I found the lobby layout a bit confusing and without helpful signage to the meeting room "wing." Like the rest of the hotel, the conference facilities were very good. Even the conference food was very good...for hotel banquet food. There's one sports bar/restuarant that I found to be quite loud, but still decent food. (Having said that, you don't really have any choice in dining if you're there without a car.) Aside from the noisy bar/restaurant, sound was not a problem, esp given the property's proximity to ATL.

Nice, clean work-out room and equipment. The yoga/exercise mats, though, are pretty thin--sounds picky, but I use them, so it's something I notice. Is it just me or is it a standard that only about half the integrated TVs on treadmills/elipticals work at business hotels?...and there's only about 3 channels that come in with any clarity?

The room itself was, again, very nice. Very comfortable bed, nice workspace, and big flat-screen TV. Not stand-out, pretty much just what I'd expect from this level of business hotel. (I do find Marriott's in general are good with these features.) The bathroom was well appointed and modern, but a little tight, not much room for more than 1 person in there. And I was surprised (disappointed) the towels weren't a little nicer/thicker. The shower had one of those helpful curved/half-moon shower curtain bars...which I don't understand why more hotels don't use, rather than the ones that just go straight across; doesn't seem like too heavy an investment for a little more shower space. And it was a good shower, with a nice, fat adjustable shower head.

Overall, for what it is--an upscale business hotel (essentially) at the airport, it worked out great. Rates were reasonable also. I can't imagine a family staying there unless you need/want to be that close to the airport and/or have a car to get to where you're REALLY going in the area.

Room Tip: I don't know that any room's particulalry better than another. There's no view, to spea...
3  Thank Pernasus
Reviewed 3 November 2012

One tram stop from the Domestic terminal - a 40 second ride, the tram runs every 90 seconds and operates 24 hours a day.

New hotel nicely decorated with a bright, open lobby. Guest rooms are roomy, with iSleep alarm clocks that can charge your iPhone, plenty of plug in outlets and a nice desk for working.

Room Tip: Surprisingly the rooms are pretty quiet - you can occasionally hear a tram so ask for a room farther...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Stayed here for one night before taking off from ATL for our honeymoon. Initially booked the "romance package", which seemed a bit overpriced but after all I only plan on having one honeymoon! Well, plans changed and I adjusted to the "Park'n'fly package" after I learned that you are not allowed to combine the two. We stuck with the park'n'fly deal as that was one of the main contributors to our decision to stay at this hotel.

Pros:
Comfortable beds, clean rooms, up-to-date furnishings and decor, courteous staff, quiet rooms even with proximity to airport, proximity to airport

Cons:
Confusing parking situation, employees not knowledgeable regarding options/packages, prolonged transport to international check-in

Notes:
With the park'n'fly package, you're given a pass that covers the expense of parking at the hotel for an additional 7 days after you check out. The problem is that it seems only one or two people in the entire hotel know what patrons are supposed to do regarding the myriad of cards and coupons used to effect the discount when you leave the garage. We ended up getting stuck in the garage and having to get a staff member to come let us out because one of the folks when we checked in had given us incorrect instructions.

Though there is a [no-charge] tram leading from the hotel to the airport, if you are checking in for an international flight, you will need to take an additional 10-15 minute bus ride from the point where the tram stops to a different terminal.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I had a one-night stay on Friday, October 26, 2012. There were 4 in my party, and we booked one room with two double beds. When we arrived for check-in, the desk attendant told me that I had already checked in, which was not true. They called the gentleman in "my room", and low and behold, he had the same name as me (he went by his middle name, which is also my first name). The attendant promptly gave me a new room; however, in making my reservation online, I had asked for a room close to the elevator, and the newly assigned room was what seemed like a MILE from the elevator.

After my stay, I received my email receipt like I usually do...along with the other gentlman's receipt with the last 4 digits of his credit card! Probably can't do much with only 4 digits, but if I was him, I wouldn't be happy. Lucky I'm not a thief...

Besides all of this, the hotel looks brand new and is immaculate. No free on-site parking, so that's another $16. Regardless, I'd probably stay here again.

1  Thank Todd A
Reviewed 23 October 2012

My wife and I had all four kids with us in 2 connecting rooms. This was the perfect hotel for a one stay with a flight in the morning. We did not check in until midnight and left at 9AM. I can't say much about the hotel except that the employees were very friendly and the rooms were clean. The hotel seemed pretty new, but most importantly you can walk to the hotel from the airport. It is very close and just requires a short tram ride. I recommend this hotel for anyone that needs to be close to the airport and especially if you have an early flight the next morning.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2012

After working all week in Alpharetta there was no way I was able to get a flight out on Friday evening, so instead of driving to the airport Saturday morning I decided to stay at the Marriott Gateway, located between the rental car center and the terminal. I dropped off the car and took the tram (which runs every few minutes to the terminal) to the hotel. It could not have been simpler and was a snap getting to the airport in the morning (15 min. from hotel checkout to airport security). Make sure you get the weekend rate. I had dinner at the hotel restaurant, Champions – the service was excellent here as well as at the front desk. The hotel is new, upscale, spotless, and very quiet, considering how close it is to the airport.