“Top Airport/Meeting Hotel of Its Class”

Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway
Ranked #14 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I was obliged to attend a board meeting at this airport-convention-type hotel and was very pleasantly surprised . . . no, strike that, very pleased indeed. I had recently injured my knee and was temporarily obliged to use a wheel chair and found that both the Atlanta Airport, Skycaps, Airport Tram System as well as the Marriott was well prepared to handle folks needing a bit of wheel chair assistance. Suffice it to say that the Skycap swiftly navigated elevators and the tram to the elevated tram that connected the airport to the hotel. I hobbled off the tram at the hotel stop and found that the hotel had posted staff there to greet you and initiate check-in. A very nice touch. Although I declined assistance, I was surprised to see that a bellman was dispatched to meet me as I slowly walk the short distance to the hotel. Check-in was rapid as the train platform attendant had started the process and a room on the concierge floor was quickly booked. The room was typical Marriott-business-modern, not spacious but more than adequate. WiFi was speedy as was room service. More importantly, the room was tidy and very clean. As expected the bed was comfortable and shower pressure adequate although typically volume restricted per conservation rules. For you road warriors, the breakfast in the Concierge Lounge was typical fare and nicely presented. Our meeting room on the ground floor was well equipped with up-to-date AV equipment. All the staff I dealt with during my stay were uniformly pleasant and professional. All in all, an excellent, albeit isolated, airport hotel. It is perfect, in my opinion, for an in-and-out business meeting.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,238)

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I had a really stressful and long day at work and then had to take a taxi to the Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway so I could be nearby to the airport for an early flight the next morning. I was not in the best of moods due to having a very stressful day and, when in this mode, I am overly sensitive for service missteps at hotels, restaurants, etc - it is just human nature.

I ended up getting to the hotel later than expected, but was immediately greeted by one of the friendliest front desk agents I have had in a long time (my mood then brightened just a bit). I was told if I made it up to the concierge lounge fast, I **might** be able to still get some hors d' oeuvres.

I dumped off my belonging in the room (#603) and went up one floor to the 7th to the lounge. The attendant was about to put the food away and waited just for me to get some before doing so (my mood then brightened just a bit once again). I was able to get one drink, some food and relax just a bit which made me feel better as I had eaten very little all day, also contributing to my mood.

I then headed down the lobby bar and decided to have dinner there. I had forgotten that Champions was on premise, but worked out ok since I had a major presentation to work on during dinner. I sat down and asked the very nice bartender if they had power available as my laptop's battery somehow had been expended during the day. The bartender did everything she could to accommodate me and even watched my laptop as I went back to my room for my power cord (didn't expect laptop to be drained of power). (My mood brightened now a good deal).

I then sat down and ordered the mahi-mahi fish special and it was delicious. After working on my PowerPoint for 2+ hours, I was exhausted and headed back to my room. The room was ultra clean, the bed super-comfortable and the overall hotel was just run like a model of efficiency.

Room Tip: 6th of 7th Floor is the best!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway is an excellent place to stay, especially for business travelers. It's a 2 minute ride on the Skytrain from the airport (very easy and convenient) and it's located about a 1 minute walk from the Georgia International Convention Center.

The hotel has a great lobby area with plenty of tables for people to meet or enjoy drinks from the bar. Champions Restaurant is located on the property. The fitness center and pool are nice, with updated, clean equipment. The Concierge Lounge on the 7th floor has great food and beverages.

However, my favorite part of staying here has to be the unbelievably friendly staff. From those at the front desk, to the doormen, to the housekeepers- every time I passed by someone, I was greeted with a friendly word. On a few occasions, people struck up conversations or went above and beyond to help me. When I asked about a good place to run outside, the front desk attendant left his station, walked me outside and pointed in the right direction. When I got back, the doorman opened the door, asked how my run was, and offered to get me a water. These are small things, but they make a huge difference when you are traveling for work.

The only nitpicks I have- it took then a very long time to service my room (I called at 6:30pm to ask where they were), and they don't have room service during lunch time (only breakfast and dinner). These are minor, minor issues.

The next time I'm in town for business, I will absolutely return here- I loved my stay, but mostly, I was impressed with how friendly and helpful the entire staff was.

Room Tip: There seems to be a few rooms very close to the Skytrain. I can't imagine they are very quiet, w...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Usually I dislike airport hotels but this particular one was different. Clean, spacious, comfortable and the staff were friendly, helpful and welcoming. Plus the food and bar prices were not extortionate

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cags1960
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed here two different nights in April.
We chose this hotel because of its access to the sky train, which also runs to the car rental facility.
For our first stay, when we arrived at the Atlanta airport, we liked being able to hop right on the train rather than wait for a hotel shuttle to show up. However, we were surprised, when we got off the train to discover that the hotel is not directly connected to the hotel by an indoor walkway.
There was a hotel employee to give us directions to the hotel but she did not offer to get us help with our large suitcases. Therefore, we had to drag our heavy luggage to the hotel, which involved going OUTSIDE (luckily the weather was OK) and walking about a block to the hotel. It was manageable but no fun. It would have been so easy for the greeter to ask us if we would like to have a bellman come with a cart to help us.
Once we dragged our luggage to the front desk, check-in was easy.
The hotel room was on the small side but modern, comfortable and clean. We liked it.
We ate dinner in the restaurant/sports bar and thought the food was quite good and reasonably priced for a hotel.
We slept fine. The beds were comfortable and airport noise wasn't an issue.
The next morning we had the breakfast buffet in the hotel and liked it. There were some regional dishes so it was more than the standard boring buffet.
We had to drag our luggage back outside to get to the train to go to the rental car facility. There was no offer of help when we checked out.
It was convenient to be able to take the train right to the rental car facility rather than go back to the airport and then wait for a shuttle bus.
All in all we liked the hotel, but we were well aware that we were paying more for a room here than we would have at most of the other airport hotels, including the other Marriott. For that increased room rate, the hotel should be able to come up with a way to help people with more than carry-on luggage get from the train to the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We had a girl's trip to Atlanta for a convention and stayed at this hotel because it was convenient to the convention center. We drove in from out of town and the hotel was easy to get to. There were four of us in a room and the room was a little smaller than we expected. We thought the room had queen beds, but they were two double beds. It's a good thing we all got along because it was tight.

The room was clean but we had to ask for more towels and coffee. Not a huge deal.

The housekeeping staff comes around early so make sure you put the "do not disturb" sign up. They knock twice and open the door a little too quickly. But they are super friendly and efficient.

We ate at the restaurant for lunch and it was good. It's a little expensive, but not nearly as expensive as some hotel restaurants I've been to. We were able to get bar/food service in the lobby area. There is room service but we didn't try that. Nor did we eat at the breakfast buffett. Our room had a micro fridge so we were able to keep a few snacks cold. There are no restaurants within walking distance. Actually, there isn't much of anything within walking distance.

You can take the skytrain to the airport where you'll find about a half dozen restaurants, but they are very busy. You can also get to Marta from the airport if you want to take the train into town.

Parking at the hotel is not cheap. We were lucky and had a special convention rate of $5/day. Normally it's something like $18.

Surprisingly, we didn't hear a lot of the airplanes coming and going but we were on the north side of the hotel overlooking the parking garage. Airport is on the south side and it's BUSY.

Room Tip: Away from the elevator and ask for a room on the north side which is further away from the airport.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I went to this hotel to attend a function. I was a part of a very large block of rooms. There was confusion checking in as we had several people staying in our room. However, I did appreciate the fact that they allowed us to split the bill from the onset. I do advise anyone staying there to check the bill before they leave. I have stayed here and at the Marriott Springhill across the street and they never fail to mess up my bill. That's my responsibility to check. With all that said....... I love this place! They treated us so well. The convenience to the airport is awesome. I highly recommend for anyone that needs to be close to the airport.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends