“Great stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great stay”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I travel often for business and pleasure and this is one of my favorite places to stay. The staff are extremely friendly and always helpful. I was always greeted with a smile and positive attitude. The rooms and common spaces are always very clean and welcoming. I also appreciate that they are environmentally conscious and committed to being a green property.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
JBrunson, Guest Relations Manager at Emory Conference Center Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear MFine2014,
Thank you for being a recent guest with us! We are always excited to receive guest feedback, so thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. Also, we are glad that you like our sustainable efforts, as it is something that we have ingrained in our culture and love to share with our guests. We hope we get to see you again, soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Let me just start by saying, I've traveling heavily for work for a little over a year now. I've stayed in dozens of hotels often for weeks at a time all over the US, from NYC to Miami to LA. I also worked in a four star, four diamond hotel in the past. I know what good service is and I have been severely disappointed by the quality of my experience while staying here at the Emory Conference Center Hotel. I can't say that I've been this disappointed since I started my business travel. The fact is that I'm writing this review from my room in hotel and I wanted to write this review while my thoughts are fresh. I've never been motivated to review a hotel before, until now.

The main benefit of this hotel is it's convenience to Emory University/Emory University Hospital and the CDC. It also has a decent selection of fantastic food options right around the corner at Emory Point. Were it not for that convenience I would not have stayed for more than a night. I am in town to work on the Emory campus and the fact that the hotel within a mile of the campus is nearly its only saving grace. It goes down hill from here

I am a pretty loyal Marriott customer and I took a chance on ECCH because the closest available Marriott property with vacancy was much too far to have the luxury of walking to my work-sites and having to constantly pay for a parking garage/valet is something I prefer to avoid. On top of that, the Emory University Hospital staff spoke highly of the place. Shortly after my arrival it was clear that what I had heard about the quality of this hotel must be a reference to its former glory. That's the only way I can make sense of it.

The biggest problem with ECCH is its lack of consistency of quality. This permeates every aspect of the experience. The lobby and most common areas are well appointed and pleasing to the eye, if a bit less than unique but when I arrived in my room that same quality and aesthetic just was not there....not even close. The furniture desperately needs replacing: The desk is missing decorative supports that used to run horizontally down the side and the wood veneer on the desk is warped and pealing away, the fabric on the armchair is extremely faded in places so much that it is just an eye sore, the wall decor is dated and not at all stimulating, and the carpet has seen better days. The A/C unit is either in need of service or inadequate. I've had it running since I arrived and have periodically lowered the set temperature but it simply does not successfully keep the room cool. Especially during the day.

My experience with the room service here mirrored the aesthetics of the hotel almost perfectly. I ordered a hummus plate, "Endive-Spicy Pecans-Romaine salad" and "Carrot Spice Cake Topped with Caramel Sauce" for dessert. The salad was delicious and fresh. The hummus and pita slices were good enough but the vegetables that came on the plate were far from fresh. I would be embarrassed to serve them, personally. They had clearly been sitting on the plate in a refrigerator SO LONG that the edges of the cucumbers had started to dry out and wilt. They were inedible and unappetizing. The Carrot Cake was also very disappointing.

The staff is largely apathetic or incompetent with a few standouts here and there. The best example of this came one afternoon when I arrived at the hotel after being out since 5:30 that morning. I went directly to the front desk to request a microwave so that I could reheat some leftovers. I was told it would be brought but no time frame was mentioned. I waited over an hour and then called back to the front desk. After explaining my previous request to the front desk attendant and expressing my frustration at still being hungry, without a microwave to warm my food, and that I was giving up and leaving to find a hot meal I got no apology whatsoever or even an acknowledgement of my frustration. The front desk attendant simply said "I'll resubmit that request again", asked if it would be okay for someone to enter my room while I was away and STILL failed to give me a time frame in which to expect the microwave.

When I returned to my room 5 HOURS LATER, the microwave STILL had not been delivered. So I marched directly back down to the front desk to complain. Fortunately, when I arrived, a guest service representative by the name of Ashley was there and responded to my request with the urgency I had expected nearly 8 hours earlier. Within 10 minutes of speaking with her I finally had a microwave to heat my food. I also took the opportunity to discuss a few other issues with my room I had been less than happy with: a mildew-y coffee maker, the handset of my room phone smelling like it was cleaned with a dirty rag. The "new" coffee maker that was brought to me, I have come to find out, is worse than the first. I give up.

More than once I grabbed a towel in the bathroom, which upon inspection, had brown or rusty stains on it.

If I had to book this trip over again I would not stay here. As a side note, there seems to be a focus on corporate conferences and weddings. Large groups have the run of the place, crowding the lobby, restaurant and other common areas for much of the evenings during the week, making it difficult for me to fully enjoy the property.

My stay here will have me running back into the arms of Marriott on my next stay. ECCH is one step away from an episode of Hotel Hell, if my stay is any indication of what is typical here

Room Tip: Find a room at the Marriott/Hilton/Hyatt/etc.
3 Thank Josh B
JBrunson, Guest Relations Manager at Emory Conference Center Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Josh B.
Thank you for taking the time to review your current stay with us. Needless to say, we were disappointed to read all of the issues you have experienced during your stay with us, but we were elated that we were able to catch up with you while you are still checked in, allowing us an opportunity to make it up to you. Being in the customer service field, your satisfaction is number one to us. Again, we are extremely and sincerely apologetic about everything that has happened to date, but glad we have been able to address these issues (to help ensure that no one else experiences the same things you have), as well as have had an opportunity to right our wrong. Thank you taking the time to share your experiences with us and we hope that we can help sway you away from our competitors next time!
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Fantastic experience staying at the hotel, and attending a two day event at the conference center on property.

Beautiful, mission style property nestled into a fantastic, wooded valley. Staff friendly and helpful. Great breakfast, snacks, and cafeteria style lunch, with salad bar, grill, pizza, and other stuff while at the conference center. Strong, free, wi-fi in all areas of the building.

Several other good restaurants a block away. CDC directly across the street.

Dear luv2explore50,
Thank you for the fantastic review of our hotel from your recent stay with us. We would also like to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to Atlanta, as we know there are many choices when picking a hotel in this city. We are truly humbled by the kind words that you wrote and are happy to hear about your enjoyable experiences at our property. We will make sure to share your kind words with our staff. We see from your profile that you are quite the experienced traveler, and that makes us even happier about the nice comments you left. Thank you again!
Pago Pago, American Samoa
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The check in desk staff were very friendly and accommodating.. I had forgotten a bathroom item that was not on the complimentary list, but the desk staff got the keys to the onsite store and opened up for me. I chose to use room service since I had long meetings and was tired at the end of the days. Room service- excellent from the phone service to the delivery of my meals. Housekeeping though I chose not to clean my room daily always asked me in the halls if there was anything they could top up, coffee, tea, towels. Very nice. Bed very comfortable and spacious room. Loved the roomy bathroom and big shower. Very close to my meeting venue and Emory Point . Enjoyed my stay immensely.

Room Tip: My room was via the East Elevators, nice and sunny during the day...
Green Features: I'm glad to see that Emory Conference Center is environmentally friendly and contributing to a safer and greener environment.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear teine1,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to Atlanta, and a huge thank you for the five star review of our hotel! We are truly humbled by the kind words that you wrote and are happy to hear about your enjoyable experiences at our property. We will make sure to share your kind words with our staff.
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We just stayed at the Emory Conference Center visiting our daughter who is in grad school at Emory. The hotel was the perfect combination of great location, peaceful surroundings and pleasant rooms. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The staff, especially Leotis, was very helpful and extremely friendly. Leotis was able to take care of all our travel needs. I highly recommend the hotel for their friendly staff and beautiful surroundings.
MPeterson

Green Features: I was impressed by the hotel's environmental policy.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Peteriford
JBrunson, Guest Relations Manager at Emory Conference Center Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear MPeterson,
Thank you for choosing us for your place to stay during your recent trip to Atlanta to visit your daughter. We are extremely humbled by your kind words and will make sure to share your sincere comments with our staff, including Mr. Watson. Thank you again, and we look forward to being able to assist you during upcoming trips!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

This staff really goes 100 percent to meet customers needs while staying here. They let you know they will help you and then they follow up - several areas to mention include the front desk, the food and beverage supervisor, the servers and the Sous Chef. That Chef is incredible! One other area - the bed is comfortable.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank JaneTa3106
Dear JaneTa3106,
Thank you for choosing us during your recent trip to Atlanta! We are elated to hear that you had such a favorable experience with our staff during your stay and will make sure we share your feedback with everyone. Thank you again and we hope to be honored enough to have you as our guest again soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 1 April 2014

The rooms were extremely clean. I thought the bed was very comfortable with nice linens. The shower was large and roomy. I enjoyed my stay. The Shuttle driver came in early for us to take us to the hospital on a icy, snowy morning, above and beyond.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank carmen h
Dear Carmen h,
Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Atlanta! It sounds like you stayed with us during one of the two big snow storms we had this year. We were worried about being able to provide our normal level of service with some of the logistical challenges we were facing, so we are elated to hear that everything went seamlessly for you. Thank you again and we hope that we will get to have you as our guest again soon!