“Fun night out”

The Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse
Ranked #12 of 298 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Owner description: The home of the Atlanta Shakespeare Company, the Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse on Peachtree Street has an enchanting history and a prime location in downtown Atlanta. We are a professional theatre with food and drinks available before each performance (and don't forget the apple crisp at intermission!)
Reviewed 7 April 2012

This is the first trip to The Shakespeare Tavern for my wife and me. I wish we had known about it sooner. It is a great little theater. The food is very good and the atmosphere is unique. We went to see "Much Ado About Nothing". It is a fun Shakespeare comedy. The audience was in almost constant laughter. The actors were wonderful. The play changes each month. Although we are almost two hours away we hope to make it again next month. Arrive early if you want to choose your seat. However the theater is small and the view is fine from anywhere. Park across the street in the Emory parking garage. Show your ticket stub when leaving the parking garage for a discount on parking.

1  Thank PicShooter
in 22 reviews
"no bad seats"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 2 April 2012

We saw the Merry Wives of Windsor tonight and could not have been more pleased. My wife and I have experienced several of the bard's works and thought this was the best we had seen due to the combination of atmosphere and acting. My teenage children thorougly enjoyed themselves as well. As with all Shakespeare, it really helps to do some research on the play beforehand, which we did, but this perfomance would have been enjoyable without any knowledge of the play anyway. The playhouse is a great way to experience Shakespeare and we will definitely come back. The food was not anything special, but it was just fine especially considering the very reasonable price. Drinks were also very reasonably priced.

1  Thank BradNelsonJAX
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My husband and I went to Shakespeare Tavern for our anniversary. We had never been before and thought it would be nice to try something new. Overall we had fun. We ate dinner before at another restaurant and arrived at the tavern right before the performance. I was able to purchase some wine, even though the kitchen was closing. The place was very crowded so we sat in the back. The people who volunteer were eating their dinner behind us which was a little distracting but not really a major issue.The actors were good and presented a modern spin on Shakespeare. It was very entertaining and although it seemed kind of cheesy we had a good time.

2  Thank I_L0ve_Travel_Too
Reviewed 8 March 2012

If you like Shakespeare and enjoy wine or beer this is the place for you. I totally love it. The food was pretty good. I tried the Coq au vin and enjoy every single bite. Wine bottles were decent and affordable. The Play was awesome, well performed characters and good acting. I will recommend any of the plays here. Can’t way to go back myself!