“Worn out..”

The Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse
Ranked #32 of 291 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Owner description: The home of the Atlanta Shakespeare Company, the Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse on Peachtree Street has an enchanting history and a prime location in downtown Atlanta. We are a professional theatre with food and drinks available before each performance (and don't forget the apple crisp at intermission!)
lilburn
“Worn out..”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Director Jeff does it again, and I mean not just in good way. The same opening act works only on new folks, and wonder why there is more new folks here than ever.
(anyone w/ pager time to get cellphone, I make you repeat "good evening" because I like it, people wave over there - some smarter than others, ...so on..argh )

The whole setup is good, but only if it is your first visit. I give it one star for food.
I was really disappointed to see the director do the opening act and play multiple parts in the show. There may be a good reason for it, as filling in for an absent actor, but it really put a bad taste in mouth.

The seats are not comfortable. Food and beer is always good :)

To sum it up, if you have seen one show, you have seen it all..save your money for a movie night out instead.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A fun treat”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My husband and I had a fantastic date night at the Playhouse. We purchased tickets online at the last minute. The only seats left were in the upper level. the only drawback is that you don't have large tables upstairs but they have small ledge up against the railing you can use. The food was great. I ordered the curry vegetables and my husband had the mincemeat pie. Both were fantastic. The volunteers were very pleasant and the acting was great as well. All and all a great night out.

Ashland, Oregon
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Incredible acting and great fun!”
Reviewed 26 April 2012 via mobile

We came to see Much Ado About Nothing while visiting Atlanta for a week from California. We've seen many, many versions of Shakespeare plays over the years by lots of different companies including the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, the Royal Shakespeare Company, Folgers in DC and lots of local productions, so we went to this performance with an open mind but not great expectations. Wow! We were amazed at the professionalism of this company! The set and lighting are minimal but the acting really carried the play. Although I have seen Much Ado several times, this performance had me laughing through the whole thing! Lots of subtle (and not so subtle) side gags going on that really enriched the play. BRAVO!
A side note: We got there early upon the advice of the box office and scored a front row table on the Main Floor which I would recommend. The food was OK but not fantastic but the quality of the show made the dinner (for us) a minor blip. AND the tickets were only $24! We would have paid much more! Wish we didn't live so far away; would love to see more of this company!

1 Thank Silverstar46
Georgia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Much To Do”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My first experience at the Tavern was very impressive; actors were top-rate, & the director of "Much Ado About Nothing" made the show much funnier than any Shakespeare comedy I've seen.

Visited March 2012
Peachtree City, Georgia
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Best Anniversary Dinner in Years”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Such a pleasure to see a live performance, hear English in it's finest form, visit with friends, eat a great dinner and support the arts all at once. Much Ado about Nothing was a well done, interactive and hilarious! If you can't afford the ticket and dinner, eat at the V and see the play for $12 on preview nights!

1 Thank Linda_Henson_Sorrow