“A Great Night Out”

The Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse
Ranked #32 of 286 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Owner description: The home of the Atlanta Shakespeare Company, the Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse on Peachtree Street has an enchanting history and a prime location in downtown Atlanta. We are a professional theatre with food and drinks available before each performance (and don't forget the apple crisp at intermission!)
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A Great Night Out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

This is a well-kept Atlanta secret. Very unusual building (a replica of an Elizabethan theatre) in bustling mid-town ATL, but once inside, you will have an evening to remember! Not too big - just the right size to keep the atmosphere intimate. Get there early to grab a table and have some pub grub. The food can be hit or miss - but the apple crisp dessert during the interval is always good.

Visited February 2012

USA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Defies explanation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

It's been far too long since I've been to the Shakespeare Tavern. I used to go at least once a season. They make Shakespeare's plays come alive. I always took a large group. Sometimes newbies had to pay very close attention to understand, but those of us who'd seen a couple of plays had no trouble.

They make very good use of their small theater, often incorporating the audience. One of the actors once drank out of my glass during a mid-audience stroll.

After checking their website, it looks like all the actors that I used to watch have either moved on or have moved behind the scenes. I'm sure the new company is just as talented.

I think you can always count on this place for an entertaining evening.

Visited June 2012
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Playhouse that has a tradition of interacting with the audience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

The first time I went was with a college class, but I've been several times since then on my own. I love this place. They serve a limited dinner and dessert menu during the show. The actors interact with the audience during Shakespearean plays such as "A Midsummer Night's Dream." So much fun for the entire family. Note that some plays may not be suited for young children, due to content, but that can be easily checked on their website.

Visited February 2012
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“As close at it gets to the Globe (for Atlanta)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

So maybe I am a bit biased because I worked there once, but this is as close as it gets to an authentic early Shakespearean theatre experience. The tavern like setting with paneled wood walls and neatly arranged tables ensure good acoustics - I mean what is Shakespeare without the words? The cafe, conveniently located in the back serves up tempting, if pricey, early English delicacies and beer. Think of it as a one-stop culture and cuisine bonanza. Go!

Visited April 2012
1 Thank K_b0y
Boston, Massachusetts
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Fantastic night of entertainment for the family!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Anyone who truly appreciates Shakepseare and/or theater would be in heaven here! It's a small playhouse so there is no "bad seat" in the place. Hubby & I went with 10 yr. old son & I wasn't sure if he would be able to "get" what the actors were saying & enjoy it but we were all laughin to the point of tears with their production of Twelfth Night! His favorite character was the Fool. The actors were spot on & the company utilizes the Shakepearean tradition of acknowledging the presence of the audience which was refreshing. We bought tickets in advance through their web site - highly encourage you to do so, although seating is first come, first serve (unless you do a special reservation package). We also perused their menu online which sounded tantalizing - when we got there we realized that many of the items are actually cold (like the pork loin sandwich). Not that it was bad, just not as expected - hence, we'll say it was just ok. Excellent service, extremely friendly, helpful, funny staff! My son said it was a highlight of our week-long trip next to the Infantry Museum & he wishes they had a playhouse in Boston!

Visited July 2012