“The Bard would be happy!”

The Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse
Ranked #33 of 290 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Owner description: The home of the Atlanta Shakespeare Company, the Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse on Peachtree Street has an enchanting history and a prime location in downtown Atlanta. We are a professional theatre with food and drinks available before each performance (and don't forget the apple crisp at intermission!)
The Woodlands, Texas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“The Bard would be happy!”
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I recently saw Romeo and Juliet and had a wonderful time. The theater is very intimate. I arrived earlier enough on a Thursday night (about 1.5 h before curtain) and got a front row, center table. I had plenty of time to eat before the show. Dinner was good (vegetarian strata).
The play was the highlight. The company makes the performance very personal and intimate. They perform "knowing" the crowd is there, often coming out into the aisles.
If I lived in Atlanta, I would go back.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank TravelingGnome66

Atlanta, Georgia
119 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“up close and personal”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Very intimate setting - nothing elaborate feel of an old english pub with wooden chairs and tables. Actors very entertaining and you feel part of the show. Went with a school group. Very enjoyable. Will go back

Visited November 2012
1 Thank irishwhiskey1
Atlanta, Georgia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Not your normal Tavern ! ! ! ! ! ! !”
Reviewed 11 February 2013

My daughter and I love Shakespears's tavern..We make it a special night out - just the two of us..
BUT it is not the normal "Tavern" we would think of....it is a clean, colorful room with tasteful decor and a large round stage.

We love the food..the bread basket, pasties, shepherd's pie and the apple crisp a la mode is to die for...Liquor, ale and wine are just an added bonus...The staff is always so helpful and friendly.

I like the balcony seating, you can see everything that goes on better from up above.... but there are only a few seats up there...if you are curious about the goings on .....give it a try..

The front stairs make it a bit tricky to get to the theatre if you are not stable on your feet but....If you need cane/wheelchair access it is availlable.

What a great night out. I come from Dahlonega and it is well worth the 2 hour trip there and 2 hour trip back home....It is a late night for me but to share time with my daughter or friends I can do it once and a while....I hope you will also.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank partygirl18
Toronto, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Romeo and Juliet Must Live!”
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Went for the first time on Romeo and Juliet preview night. Having been schooled in Shakes and the rest, I was truly blown away from the performance, A1, ranks at the top. Romeo and Juliet were played by high school students and they definately have a long career ahead of them as actors. The rest of the players, too, were excellent. Loved the running on and off of the stage and the breaking through of the fourth wall. Costumes were authentic and beautiful. If possible I would like to buy Mercutio`s cape when the play is put to rest. Sandwich I ordered was packed with real meat and quite big. Had to give other half to my brother. Planning on returning to Altlanta later in March for Much Ado.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank SpartanQueen51
Rockmart, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved the play!”
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I loved the play when I went with my sister and the food wasn't all that bad... Just not my taste of food I guess. The salad had stuff in it that I've never seen before! haha