“Delicious Surprise”
Review of Nick's Food to Go

Nick's Food to Go
Ranked #634 of 3,977 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: Greek
Description: Local, no-frills Greek favorites to go! This place has some serious flavor and personality. Zip code 30312, restaurant phone: (404) 521-2220
Eden, Texas
“Delicious Surprise”
Reviewed 23 October 2012

This place was suggested by a friend who lives near Nick's and it did not disappoint! It's strickly for to-go orders but the gyros were terrific and well worth the stop. We were warned about Nick but he wasn't anywhere to be found.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank CathyK76837

Atlanta, Georgia, USA
“Best Gyro's around!”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Great greek food "to go" only. Enjoy or ignore the attitude when Nick isn't happy (often!) and grab a fantastic Gyro to go! Don't worry that the building looks like a place you would never stop and eat at.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank R Grant C
Fayetteville, Georgia
“Everyone I Met Was Right! Everything Was Good!”
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I have been seeing this small, run down building, on the corner of MLK and Hill Street for a couple of years. It has a smiling Greek painted on the building, and says something about Greek food, but it was always closed when I drove by. I wasn't even sure it was still a viable business. Yesterday, after the Georgia State football game, I drove by, and it was open! (Current Hours: M-F 11-7:30, Sat 12-7, Closed Sun.)

I love Greek food, so I ordered several different things to take home for my family to try. They Greek Pork on the Souvlaki plate was amazing--the seasoning was flavorful, but not overpowering. The Greek Salads were fresh and flavorful. The GYROS ARE THE BEST IN ATLANTA, as a previous reviewer stated. The Baklava is the best I've EVER had, and I've been a regular at Greek Restaurants, and Greek Festivals, in Atlanta for years. The Grilled chicken plate was also delicious, although the "regular fries" weren't as flavorful as the Greek. The Greek fries were fresh and tasty. The only thing that wasn't "great" was the spanikopita--it was just "ok." It seemed a little soggy, instead of flaky. I will give it another try, though, since I was there at closing, and it was most likely fresher earlier in the day!

This place is TAKE OUT ONLY. Food is cooked to order, so either call in your order ahead of time, or be prepared to wait. Over half a dozen other customers came in while I was waiting. A couple said they've come weekly for years. One recommended the Nick's burger as her favorite, another raved about the spaghetti. Everyone volunteered things like: "it's the best" and "the gyros are the best in town," and "you get your money's worth!"

As for the attitude mentioned previously, a Buckhead restaurant worker confirmed that. He said that Nick can be like the Seinfeld "soup Nazi," but I didn't see it!

I got a takeout menu, so I can call ahead next time! I'm glad I got enough food for me to have leftovers today. I WILL go back--OFTEN!

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank Jamie W
Atlanta
“Best Gyros in Atlanta!!!”
Reviewed 15 October 2011

I've been to Nick's 4x now since discovering them on a Google search of the BEST Gyros in Atlanta. Although this is not a franchise, I grew up loving a place called Nick's Gyros in Chicago... so I thought the name hear was kind of ironic. What I love about this place is they still cook and prepare the gyros the traditional way. They rotate a huge slab of the DELICIOUS lamb between upright burners and slice off the meat when ready. This isn't the pre-packaged and tasteless Mall food you find all over the country... this is the real deal. He is generous with the amount of meat you get and his Tzatziki sauce is fantastic.

What's a Gyros without chunks of crumbled feta cheese? You would think this is as standard topping for a Gyros shop just as mustard and ketchup is at a burger joint, but for some reason many places in Atlanta do not offer it. Nick's does!!! I honestly can't comment on anything else on the menu. I've been so satisfied with the Gyros that I haven't brought myself to try anything else... lol!!! Located in a small corner building with unpaved parking, this place is a diamond in the rough. Bottom line - this may or may not be the best GYRO you ever had, but it's the best in Atlanta for sure!!!

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank Papa-Ratzi
Atlanta, Georgia
“Greek Food with Attitude!”
Reviewed 13 April 2011

The fact that I'm the first person to review this restaurant on TripAdvisor helps prove that this charming little Greek take-out remains one of Atlanta's best-kept restaurant secrets. This place is NOT your typical restaurant - it doesn't have seating, you either order at the window or call-in your order in advance. What it lacks in amenities it more than makes up for in delicious food and unique personality. First off, the food: no matter what you get, it's going to be tasty. I have tried their 3 Gyros - chicken, pork and traditional lamb and all three are packed with meat, full of flavor (the tzatziki sause is some of the best I have ever had) and fresh - no burned meat or pita dried out under a heat lamp here. Pair that with some Greek potatoes, spanakopita or their hummus (like none I've ever tasted) and you have a treat for your taste buds. Now for the second part of the order - the personality. I first heard about the restaurant on the PBS special "Get Delicious", which introduces unique Atlanta eateries. You got the feeling from the show that the Greek owners really had fun personalities and it made me want to go there and experience it for myself. That being said, I love this family - a meal at Nick's is always a unique experience. If Momma doesn't give you some advice then Nick will yell at you with some hilarious one-liners, like "if you want it YOUR way then go somewhere else!" or “if you want a refill then refill my hand!” It's like living a Greek version of "[...] my Dad Says". Anyway, I could go on, but why read when you can be eating at Nick's?

• Visited April 2011