“Decent Hilton with appalling front desk behavior”
Review of Hilton Atlanta

Hilton Atlanta
Ranked #89 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 9 November 2012

I am a very frequent Hilton patron, as is my husband. We happen to have different last names, as many couples do. When I arrived, I presented a printed copy of my reservation, my ID (which included my home address) and my credit card. The desk attendant asked whether my husband was with me. No. She asked me if I had a different last name from my husband. Yes. I used my ID to show her that he and I have the same home address on our account. She then muttered comments about women who "act like that" and "ain't got his name" and made me write down my husband's cell number so that she could call and GET HIS PERMISSION for me to check in. I was shocked, but didn't balk because I was exhausted and wanted to go to my room. However, later I went up to the Honors lounge where a concierge was on duty. I told him what happened. He said that was their policy because once someone checked in who had a different last name and there was a "grisly murder." Oh for Pete's sake! If this is a security issue, call it a security issue. Don't lecture me on the social implications of my name. I have checked into Hilton properties all over the world and this has never happened anywhere else. This is 2012, not 1912.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
hiltonatl, Manager at Hilton Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review. We value your feedback and are continually looking for ways to improve our service and enhance the guest experience. We have shared your review with our management team. We hope that you will stay with us and allow us to show you the true spirit of Hilton hospitality, the next time your travels bring you to Atlanta.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Atlanta

Reviewed 8 November 2012

I stayed Halloween night to go to concert downtown. Staff was GREAT! Everyone was friendly, but not a lot of them spoke English. Room was very nice, beds ROCKED! Bathroom was not as clean as you would think(hair on floor and in tub and grout in bathroom was not clean), but was OK for an older hotel.

Overall I would visit again and would recommend to all friends!

Room Tip: Make sure to request a room by elevators as the halls are very long!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cherigabel
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I just came back from Atlanta! We stayed at the Hilton towel, great choice , so happy with the service, room was great ,clean and spacious , bed is very comfy!!!! Starbucks located in the main lobby is very convenient ,over all great experience!!!

1  Thank cora_v09

Thank you for taking the time to write this great review. We are thrilled that you chose to stay with us and that your experience was enjoyable. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 8 November 2012

This is an average Hilton. Service is good, range of facilities OK (would like an indoor pool !), but when you compare it to others, it looks pretty dated.

The last three Hilton's I stayed in were: Hilton Heathrow T4, Hilton Heathrow T5, Hilton Frankfurt.

Compared with the style and elegance of these last three, the Hilton Atlanta is missing something. The decor is quite old-fashioned - fittings in bathrooms, common areas (other than the bar/lounge which does have a much fresher feel to it), the bedding, wood work in the rooms, etc.

I'd suggest less dark-wood, lighter colour bed-spreads/linen, modern shower fittings (why do they insist on still having baths rather than shower cubicles in the US ?) and bath-room fittings.

Also, the whole building is cold. Not just slightly cold - in places freezing. Normal room temperature is 21C - this hotel must have been 18 in places.

Location-wise, it's Atlanta. You either love it or hate it. Personally, I hated it. Very impersonal city with a high number of vagrants. Felt uncomfortable and threatened a few times, but I'm sure that was me rather than them....

1  Thank net_boyUK
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Exceptional service; great view; convenient parking; clean room; furniture that fit nicely into the room including a desk with an additional table underneath; quiet.
Front desk service superb in both checking in and checking out.
Special advance purchase rate offered.
Good location next to interstate; easy on and easy off.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Thank you very much for the compliments to our staff and for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of nights. Very clean and comfy. Service is good and rooms spacious. Buffet breakfast not that great but the fruit selection was really good. We also stayed at the Hiltons sister hotel across the road because theyd run out of rooms and found it to be better value(cant remember the name!!).

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Sabrine E
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Check in took over 20 minutes due to a system upgrade (that was apparently planned - during the day on a Friday??), they offered free wi-fi access to accomodate.

Hotel is ok, the view was nice, good location right downtown and the bed was very comfortable. The desk chair was a fairly high-end unit and was also very comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
hiltonatl, Manager at Hilton Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

I am very happy to read the comments about your recent stay and glad that you found the location and amenities of our hotel to your satisfaction. However, I would like to apologize once again for the inconveniences you experienced during check in. We hope to see you return soon....safe travels.