“Perfectly nice place to stay in downtown Atlanta - pool two tennis courts” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Atlanta

Hilton Atlanta
Ranked #91 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Michigan
“Perfectly nice place to stay in downtown Atlanta - pool two tennis courts”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

This Hilton is clearly an older property but has been updated and is a very clean, comfortable place to stay in downtown Atlanta. I only gave it an average rating because you might be able to find a more modern hotel for the same or better price in the area. Rooms do have all the technical amenities - flat screen tv, internet access, lots of outlets etc - but the plumbing, for example, isn't the best. Took 10 minutes to get hot water in the shower, shower heads were old and sprayed water all over, etc. Also, the main areas weren't what I would call "attractive". There appeared to be a very nice exercise facitity and an outdoor pool and two tennis courts - a real plus in the city! So if the price is right, you like Hilton's or want a pool and/or tennis courts this is the place.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
hiltonatl, Manager at Hilton Atlanta, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Thank you for your feedback in regards to water temperature. We encountered an issue with our water heater and it was quickly addressed, however, I apologize that it wasn't resolved sooner. We are currently replacing our old unit and don't foresee any additional issues. Thank you again for your review and I invite you to stay with us the next time you return to the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

This was by far the most disappointing stay I've ever had at ANY Hilton. Before I left the Front Desk, I checked to confirm that I had received my requested room-type and was told I had not. I understand that happens, but when I asked if a room with just one bed was available, I was given an abrupt "NO" without anyone ever actually bothering to look at a computer monitor or press a single key on a keyboard. No apology, and no effort - Nice start to the stay. Unfortunately, things did not improve from there. My room had a strong unpleasant smell of mold / mildew / ???, and the bathroom floor was so gross that I did not want to walk on it without shoes. Exec Lounge breakfast was minimal. On the plus-side, the gym was pretty descent, the restaurant downstairs served food late into the evening, and the staff there were very nice. Ultimately though I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank J-Period
hiltonatl, Manager at Hilton Atlanta, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
I appreciate your candid review of your recent stay with our hotel. I apologize for the room assignment not meeting your expectations as comfort and safety is my highest priority for our guests. While room type requests cannot be met every time, I have reviewed your comments with our front desk team. However, I would also like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced in your guestroom. I've worked with the appropriate team members to ensure that we correct all issues. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Travellers are raving about these Atlanta hotels

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

Rooms are well appointed, clean and comfortable beds. The lobby around the elevator is in need of a re-paint as it is looking a little tired. Repeated struggles with inoperable room key card, but these are minor concerns against an otherwise very clean hotel with great breakfast and dinner service.

hiltonatl, Manager at Hilton Atlanta, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us at our hotel. We really appreciate your feedback and are very sorry for the condition of our lobby. We will take your comments under consideration as we work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will come visit us in the future.
Livingston, Alabama, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

The rooms were in very good condition and were attractive and clean. The service was very good and Starbucks (in the lobby) was open 24 hours a day and had free WiFi. The only negative was that the common areas, such as hallways, lobbies and lounges, looked a little out of date, especially compared to the Marriott across the street. However, I was able to book a room at the Hilton Atlanta for $100 less per night than at the Marriott, more than off-setting the slightly out-of-date common areas.

Helena, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

We stayed at this hotel after receiving a really good rate on Hotwire. When we arrived, we were pleased to find the room very clean and comfortable with high quality linens. No problems with the bathroom or the shower, and I thought that the water pressure was pretty good for a hotel. We tried to save money on parking by using a public lot and misread the expiration time on our ticket. As a result, we were booted, and had to pay $75. Just note: overnight hotel parking costs $14/day and expires at noon the next day (not midnight). We used an outside lot, and felt safe using it over the weekend as the area has a lot of foot traffic, even at night. There is a ton of public parking within easy walking distance of the hotel. There are plenty of restaurants, a food court and a 24h CVS within easy walking distance. The walk to the aquarium is a moderate one (but with an uphill stretch when you return to the hotel). I'd be happy to stay there again for a discounted rate, or if I were attending a conference.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

Overall, I was impressed by the cleanliness of the hotel and the location. My colleague and I were staying in this hotel for three nights for a professional conference which was taking place in the Marriot across the street. With that being said, my colleague and I were relieved that we could just walk across the sky bridge to Marriot to get to our conference.

To save money, we decided to drive down from Raleigh, NC. On the hotel's website, it said we would be paying $22 for parking, and we were perfectly fine with that. On our last day in the hotel, we received a note under our door of charges in addition to the cost of the hotel. On that form we saw the charge for parking...A total of $66. We had no idea that we would be paying $22 A DAY for parking, as this was not clearly outlined to us on the Hilton website, or by the hotel staff. This was our first time visiting a large city, and had no idea how parking would work.

I informed my coworker that I would pay for parking when I exited the deck, and she could pay for the rest when she checked out later that day. I was 45 minutes up the road when I received a phone call from my coworker who was at the front desk checking out. the Hilton staff had no proof that I had paid the $66 for parking when I left, and had to charge my friend an additional $66 to her card. The staff member even had the audacity to ask if "your friend was lying" about the parking. Unknown to me, I had to exit the parking deck without paying (using another ticket I received) and pay the parking fee at the front desk of the hotel. Again, the website nor the staff members clearly informed us of this policy, and I am incredibly disappointed.

I called the hotel when I got home later that afternoon and informed them of what happened. I was told that they would take the charge off of my coworker's card as long as I emailed the parking deck receipt to them. That is perfectly fine, but I am still shocked that they do not have a better system in place: the parking deck is ran by an entirely different company, who apparently do not communicate to the hotel or vise versa. How often does this happen to other guests who decide to utilize the parking deck under the hotel?

In regards to the internet, the hotel does not offer any free internet service...It is about $12 A DAY to access internet. I find this absolutely ridiculous, especially since there are hotels that are much cheaper with free internet. Finally, for the price we were paying, you would think there would be complimentary breakfast...NOPE.

With that being said, I am not entirely sure I would come back to this hotel...The cost of parking is absurd, and to pay for internet was inconvenient. I will definitely do some more research on hotels in the area that offer standard and free amenities.

1 Thank Meagan P
hiltonatl, Manager at Hilton Atlanta, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are sharing your comments with the third party that operates the parking facility at our hotel. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Again, I apologize for the poor service and we hope that next time you’re in the area you will consider staying with us.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

I arrived at the hotel in early afternoon. They did not have a room ready. they asked me to leave my number and they would call when the room was ready. They never called. I finally returned at 5pm and they had a room. Looking at other reviews service seems to be an issue in this hotel.
Room was clean and kept that way during my 6 night stay. The shower was terrible as the water temperature kept going from scalding hot to ice cold without moving the valve. I heard the same complaint from a few others that were staying there along with other shower issues. I don't pln on staying there again on my next visit. The buffet breakfast was about what you would expect from a Comfort Inn, not Hilton.

2 Thank Toolstud
hiltonatl, Manager at Hilton Atlanta, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Thank you for your feedback in regards to water temperature. We encountered an issue with our water heater and it was quickly addressed, however, I apologize that it wasn't resolved sooner. We are currently replacing our old unit and don't foresee any additional issues. However, we would like to apologize for the other inconveniences as well. Thank you again for your review and I invite you to stay with us the next time you return to the area.