“I've stayed a better Hiltons”
Review of Hilton Atlanta

Hilton Atlanta
Ranked #83 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 8 February 2014

First the good points: location, connected by SkyBridge to Marriott ... and many other buildings without having to go outside, and has exec lounge.

But, there are some major negatives from my stay that boil-down to the General Manager not having a strong command over the hotel staff and how to put customers first.

1. Fire alarm: I can appreciate that fire alarms in the middle on the night "happen". But, usually there is a letter from the GM that is put in each room the next day saying "sorry" and some explanation of the cause. There was NO letter from the GM.

2. Exec lounge: it is suppose to open at 6:30AM with breakfast. One day it had 1/2 the food at 6:30; another day there was no food at 6:45AM. I complained to the front desk and demanded that they give me a coupon to Starbucks, which they did -- for $15.
There was no apology.

3. Room service: used dinner dishes from room next to mine were still sitting outside in the hallway at 8:30AM. Yuck!

4. Internet: it was fast until the hotel filled with conference attendees and then it slowed to a crawl.

5. Diamond HHonors: no attempt to make Diamond members feel welcome.

6. Elevators: there are 8 in the hotel but all week I only saw 4 of them working.

This hotel is clearly focused on conference traffic. If you are part of a huge conference group, it might be ok. Or, if you are trying to bank HHonors points it is acceptable but not great. If you are spending your own dime and have a choice where to stay, the Marriott and Hyatt looked much nicer inside.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

I was originally excited I found a great deal (park-eat-connect) which essentially offered free parking, wifi and breakfast at the Hilton (four star). But to my dismay everything was quite dismal. First, the parking lot has a very low ceiling, I think 6ft is max clearing and driving in there make you feel claustrophobic. Second, the wifi was barely usable, I would connect for 1 second and get disconnected again, only usable in the lobby. Third, the breakfast usually has a buffet option, but they did not offer it as there were less patrons. Instead they offered a $15 credit, which hardly covered a eggs/toast/bacon and a coffee.

As for the rooms, we had one with a shared door to the next room and as it was Superbowl Sunday it was rather loud. To Hilton's credit they immediately moved us to a different floor that was designated the "quiet floor." But the caliber of original room was definitely not four star. It was so gross, something you would see at a Motel 6. I'm sure Paris Hilton would never stay in such a room. The last straw of why we requested a room change was because or towels were dirty. I had taken a shower and the first towel I took had 3 red stains, not sure if it was blood, but it was gross. The next towel had black stains. My only resort as to dry off with a smaller towel until they brought us new ones. I rather stay at a cheaper option outside of downtown. Highly disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Tamekia M, Manager at Hilton Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our property. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. Again, we apologize for all of the issues and we hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

The room was clean and the service seemed just fine. Even though the room didn't meet high standards and the rooms were out of date, the hotel was a very good value for downtown Atlanta at the conference rates offered. The room was OK, but the bathroom is a little out of date. The tub didn't drain well, and the toilet kept refilling every 20 minutes or so, making you think someone was in your bathroom (and I was by myself!). However, the toilet was fixed the same day I called the front desk about it.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

My first night was ok other than the fact that I when I got in after working all day and then flying into town, there was ZERO hot water. I took an ICE COLD shower. I tried to let it run for over half an hour to get hot water- no dice.

Second night, I was on my laptop, and all of a sudden it smelled like cigarette smoke in my room. (This is a completely non-smoking hotel). Called the front desk and they sent security up to see if it was in the hallway. Smell stayed a while and eventually went away.

About an hour later, here comes the smoke again. It was so bad it smelled like I was right next to the person smoking. It seemed to be coming from the bathroom. I finally found it- it was coming from the vent above the shower head that backs up to the room next to mine. I called the front desk and told them, and they promised to send security up to check again. The smell stayed a long time and eventually went away. By that time, my eyes were itching, and I was so congested I couldn't breathe. I hardly slept.

Third night... Sitting in my room on computer and here comes the smoke. I packed my stuff up and went down to the front desk. Told them the issues form the previous night, and that I wanted to be moved. I'M PAYING FOR A NON-SMOKING HOTEL. After a few minutes I was told they can't move me because they are completely sold out.

They assured me it was a different guest. Really??? Is it my luck that I had two guests back to back smoking in their room next to mine so that it vented into mine?

So I'm back in the room again writing this review. The smoke just started up again. My eyes are already itching, and I'm getting congested.

The best luck I have had in somewhat blocking the smoke is to stretch the shower cap over the vent in the bathroom. It helps, but does not fix it.

Rather than dealing with a guest who is violating hotel policy, I am made to suffer.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, and will not stay at it or any other Hilton again.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere if possibile. If not, avoid Room 710 at all costs.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Tamekia M, Manager at Hilton Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Thank you for your review. We are so sorry for all of the inconveniences you encountered during your time with us. If you would please contact us directly, we will be more than happy to further discuss your stay with you. Again, we apologize and we look forward to speaking with you.

Tamekia Massaline,
tamekia.massaline@hilton.com

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I stayed at the Hilton for a downtown conference & trade show. When I returned to my room that evening. There was a young lady leaving the room to the right of mine and went to the room on the left side of me. As I walked by the door to the room on the right, there was a smell of some kind of smoke other than tobacco emanating from the room. After sitting in my room I continued to smell this smoke. On top of that, people kept going from the one room to the other and letting the doors slam shut. One of the rooms was connected to my room and there were plenty conversations I didn't want to hear after I turned off the TV to go to bed and plenty of the smoke I didn't want to smell coming through the connecting door. I was too tired to ask for a new room that late. I was also hesitant to complain because they would know there was only one guest in the middle of this group. I finally was able to turn the AC fan on to continuous & high and drown out the conversations. Why on earth the hotel would split up a group like this with another guest in-between is beyond comprehension.

On top of this, I was charged $199 as part of the conference even though the I could have booked online for $159 with no discounts through hilton.com I found out after checking in. One member of our group booked his own with his AARP card for $116. On top of this they charged $12.95 per day for internet that didn't want to stay connected to my iPad. In fact, the next morning I couldn't get connected at all.

The hotel is spotless and very nice, but for that kind of price I expect a much better experience and clientele.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I've always expected excellence from Hilton. This stay was no different. With the numerous hotel options within the downtown Atlanta area, the Hilton is clearly in the upper crust of them all. I was surprised by the detail of amenities and services available. I will recommend and stay at the Atlanta Hilton again...

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Yes its a high-rise Hilton with 28 floors. Yes, its downtown. Yes, at one time I'm sure it must have been considered opulent compared to other offerings. Those days are past. The polite way to describe this hotel is 'it has character'. Even though I'm a Hilton Honors Diamond member, I've learned to lower my expectations to avoid being disappointed.

The staff is polite and helpful. The food in the restaurant is mediocre and seriously overpriced. My room was neat and clean for the most part. The beds are not comfortable and the pillows are awful. The room itself is seriously outdated (I really don't care about that); however, there were many things in my room in need of attention, e.g. bottom of my bathroom door had rotted from getting wet. So, if you;re looking for fit and finish - skip this hotel.

The biggest hit I give this place is its internet. I'm in business and like many, I'm on my computer/iPad a lot. The room wifi has issues with any device other than a latop and even if you're able to get on, you'll be repeatedly kicked off. Sadly, I was waxing nostalgic for dial-up speeds. The lobby wifi is better but not great.

One brightspot is the all-night coffee bar. Awesome.

Room Tip: I had a room on floor 25 and it was nice and quiet. The view was pretty too.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business