“Busy Hotel”
Review of Hilton Atlanta

Hilton Atlanta
Ranked #85 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Located in downtown Atlanta, this is one of the busiest hotels!

I've stayed here twice in the last 8 months (primarily because it was close in proximity to event I was attending). It's a large hotel and staff is always readily available from bellhops to front desk agents. The rooms are standard with cozy beds.

Pros: Great workout space, eight elevators- so the wait is never long. This hotel connects to another hotel and the Overstreet Mall via a skybridge. The "mall" has shops and restaurants- it's definitely NOT a large selection, but is in walking distance from the hotel and other restaurants on surrounding blocks!

Cons: Wi-fi is $12.99 per day in the room, but free in the lobby. If you are driving a large vehicle, the deck will not accomodate it, which means you have to use valet service (at $20) a day or parking in one of the nearby lots. We opted for the lots since they are cheaper at $10 per 24hrs. I can get to my car at my convenience and I don't have to tip anyone :-).

I had to wait an extra hour for my room to be cleaned because they were full the night before, so you might want to call ahead to see if there is a delay in check-in.

The front desk manager Mr. Travis was exceptionally nice in accommodating my printing needs. The printer in the lobby wasn't working, so he let me use his computer/printer at the front desk to print my tickets for my event.

We dined at Southern Elements on Saturday night and out of 7 people, all 7 people enjoyed their dinner. No one complained or had to send back. It wasn't busy, but we did have to wait a little longer than I thought we should have for the amount of people that were dining that evening. Nevertheless, the food made up for it as well as the complimentary desserts!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Lacks 'wow' factor of West Inn or Marriott Marquis - but you can always go and hang around those places. Otherwise it's a little bit cheaper and in all other respects fine. Ask for a room not close to an external lift - as the noise can be irritating when trying to sleep

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Wnet to Atlanta for special trip with 7 yr old daughter - a treat for her.

The bad: I arrived early and did self parking from the north side of the main entrance on Courtland. I parked on level O3 and found my way out. Spent the arternoon walking around. Returned to hotel and found elevator that said it goes to parking. However the options inside only had levels H3, H4, and H5 - no O levels. Went to front desk and was told that was the correct elevator. I explained that I was on O level and the reply was "There is no O level - just push H for the correct level" (H3 in my case). So I did that and nothing looked familiar - BTW H3 is the valet level. There was a courtesy phone there so I used it. A different person informed me there was no O level (after much discussion). So I decided to try the other H levels, with no success. I then decided the best thing was to walk the route I drove in and the car. By this time my 7 yr old daughter was getting very hot and tired, as was I. So we walked the route and found the car. It was on O3 level. I took a picture of it to show the front desk; and found an elevator that went to the lobby - a separate set of elevators. This all took 20-25 minutes. At the fornt desk I asked for a manager and explained the poor service to him...apologies but nothing substancial done, and the original attendant denied ever talking to me. BTW, the room key was flaky in both elevator and room door.

Next incident: went swimming to cool off. Pool was okay, water a bit cool. When we got done it was evening and getting a bit cooler. Howeevr, the door leaving the pool area would not open, not would the door from pool to fitness center. After a bit of banging on the door a housekeeper came by and opened it for us. I had him confirm the door was brocken and he called it in. Now we are too cold. But we couldn't get to our room. Since we were on executive level a room card is needed, but the elevator would not accept mine...and, no I did not go in the water. After riding the elevator up and down a couple times trying to get to 26th floor we went to front desk (cold and semi-wet) for a new key. At least the new one worked.

Also, the TV channel listing in the room info package is out of date. Had to call front desk to get correct channels - was on hold for 7 minutes to get two listings.

Another thing, I was near East Wing stairwell on 26th floor. I wanted to go up a floor since vending machine on mine was broken. For one floor I will walk - except not in this hotel. The stairwell was pitch black. And I mean pitch black. No e,ergency lights, no switches, nothing. Since this is a safety issue I called the front desk. Nothing was done. I woke up at 4am and decided to check if anything was done about it - no, so I called it in again. In fact when we left at 10am the lights still weren't turned on. So at check out I asked about it and they said there were no reports anything was amiss. I have pictures as evidence that the stairwell was (is?) not lighted.

When checking out the desk manager said he would contact me regarding the problems. Well it has been over a week and no word from them. Another example of poor service.

One last thing: if you self park you need your room key when leaving. I was not told that - fun times.

The service was so bad I was prompted to write this long missive. I have never written anything for any similar review service before and have travelled extensively. This was is a class by itself - and its supposed to be a 4 star hotel. Their is a Motel 6 right next door, and I imagine it has service at least as good.

Room Tip: No real problem with any noise of anything in room. Very good view. Stayed in Rm 2611.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Bob S
Tamekia M, Manager at Hilton Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. We have had some recent upgrades in our parking facility, for guest convenience. We recently renamed our parking levels and you may have stayed with us during the transition. We have addressed this with our team so that we can ensure that other guests will not have the same experience. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed here for ISTE Conference over 4 nights. Sales and front desk screwed up room reservations/payment/tax exempt status TWICE! Paid for 6 rooms on govt Pcard and some rooms were charged to personal credit cards and tax exempt charges appeared on five rooms despite giving the paperwork to Hilton BEFORE we came AND at check in. It took me 25 minutes to check out this am while I got it all straight.
Wifi was horrible and parking deck is scary. Teenagers walking around looking in cars. I won't stay here again when there are so many other options in Atlanta.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeff C
Tamekia M, Manager at Hilton Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

We’re sorry to hear about the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and your satisfaction is important to us. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed here three nights for a convention and overall had a pleasant stay, despite a couple of annoyances. It's a large hotel with lots of rooms to accommodate the many conventions that take place in the city. Their eight elevators seemed like overkill during half the stay but when another large group showed up for their convention, suddenly we needed even more. There are several restaurants on the premises and others nearby. Starbucks coffee is on the lobby floor, as well as a Fedex printer. The staff were all very friendly and getting a taxi was worry free. The $20 breakfast buffet had everything you'd need and more, or you could order off the standard over-priced hotel menu. Top floor bar has a nice view of the city and our Swiss-American bartender was knowledgable about the buildings around us. The hotel is not super far from the convention centre but in the heat we had, walking wasn't really an option. The room was great, no complaints. Was able to keep it nice and cold during the sweltering weather. However, my main annoyance was the wifi in the room for my phone--hopeless/useless, despite being free. An inch this way or that and the bars changed, and for the most part was unusable. Any hope of having a solid connection on my phone required going out to the lobby. The computer's connection seemed to work better. The other annoyance was not being told that shipping something to the hotel would required a holding fee from the on-property Fedex office, based on weight. We'd called prior to our trip and weren't told about the fee, so the hotel ultimately covered the $10 per shipment, but it was a case of not everyone being on the same page and being told mixed messages.

Room Tip: Request a lower floor room if you're part of a large convention to save time on the elevators
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Serena J at checkin was outstanding. Hotel should give her a big promotion!! I was traveling with my dog and three kids and she spent a long time trying to accommodate our needs and requests for specific bed type, etc. My dog was very welcome everywhere and they even have a special area on the side of the building for him to do his business.

The rooms could use some remodeling but it wasnt too bad at all.

Thanks again Serena!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Frank R
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Room was very nice, it was pretty clean, staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. I even used the guest services to bring me an item i forgot and they had it to my room in no time. But the only issue I had was i was on the 11th floor and the noise from the street was almost unbelieveable. All you hear all night is trucks and busses running and stopping.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business