“Good room and amenities but nothing terribly special”

Hyatt Place Atlanta/Downtown
Ranked #26 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 13 March 2012

This was my first time staying at a Hyatt Place. I chose it over the Hyatt down the street for the amenities (namely free breakfast and wifi). The service was pleasant and I appreciated being able to check in early (8 am). The hotel entrance is a bit awkward which makes for a tight lobby that was often filled with folks as others have suggested. Regardless, I always found a table for breakfast and the staff were pleasant.

The free breakfast was decent - hot foods and typcial continental fare. Wi-fi a little slow but can't complain. Rooms were clean and large - liked having a couch, bed, and fridge area. The bathroom area was a bit smaller but again clean and fine (also love that Hyatt gives toothpaste (although no lotion)).

My room was near the elevator and thus I often heard some extra noise. The room had an odor of incense as well. Overall however I would stay here again as it was close to where I had some meetings, there was free parking (if you have a car), MARTA to airport is close by, and it suits business needs. If traveling for fun maybe pick another hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 March 2012

In town for a conference, the other Hyatt (Regency) was booked solid. This one is very close, so good there. As others have said, bathroom is terribly small, room is a nice size. Staff are nice, but the entry greeting wears thin after once. Internet, while no extra cost, is nearly unusable because it is so slow. No complimentary water (bottled) in rooms. I was on sixth floor, lovely view of roof next door, especially of the exhaust spewing hamburger grease fumes. Of course, it's going nearly 24 hours. Sink was a very slow drain, so much so had to turn off water to avoid several inches of water during brushing or washing. No comp newspaper. TV is nice, bring your connections, as all are available to plug in your iPad, Mac, whatever. Clock radio so old that markings are worn off. CFL lightbulbs provide that garish color, flickering, and delayed start; not too soon to invest in LEDs. Not that many restaurants available nearby. Not a very nice area. It's a universe away from Fairmont, Marriott, etc. Cost of taxi from airport is $35.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank bh355
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Will make this brief,

Waited forever for elevators, room walls are paper thin, can hear everything outside

Overcrowded lobby on many occasions

Would not even give me 1/2 hour extra check out time

Room was comfortable front desk check in was easy

Gym was nice - Pool was closed

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank lentin
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We weren't expecting much from this chain, we'd not stayed at a Hyatt Place before. We were doing a USA roadtrip & stayed at a handful of fairly budget chain hotels. This was much better than the rest. It had a separate sitting & tv area from the sleeping area & that was really comfortable rather than having to watch tv from the bed. The bed in our room was fine. The bathroom was lacking - tiny & dated, it didn't fit well with the rest of the room which looked good & was modern. But it was fine for a couple of nights. The location in downtown was accessible to the Aquarium & Coke Museum which were our main reasons for stopping in Atlanta. Downtown itself though was not good. Lots of harassment for cash & a visible police presence, not a good vibe. Despite efforts, asking the hotel staff & the guys manning the info booths on the street downtown for their suggestions, we never really managed to find a cool area of Atlanta to hang out in with good shopping, restaurants etc. However, we liked the Hyatt Place enough to stay at another one elsewhere in our road trip. Recommended if you're going upper budget/mid
range hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Very nice hotel for he money and the staff was great. The beds were the worst I have ever slept in. They must have been 20 years old and so bad you roll off the edge if you are not in the middle. My back and neck hurt the four days I was in Atlanta. Low class for Hyatt hotels.

Room Tip: If you want a comfortable bed find another hotel in atl.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank W M
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Traveled to Atlanta for a 24-hour business trip, and cost was a concern for our client. Wound up choosing the Hyatt Place and I'm glad we did. Rooms were comfortable and clean, with sufficient work space. I didn't need to use any other business functions in the hotel like copy/print/fax so I can't speak to those.

Coming from NYC, I was disappointed at the availability of later-evening food options. The hotel didn't have pizza available in the cafe downstairs, though it's on the menu, so I had to pick from one of the sandwiches in the fridge case. Kind of a sad dinner when you were hoping for a hot meal, but the sandwich tasted ok. The included breakfast was an ok continental breakfast spread, with all the standards - pastry, bread, yogurt, cereal and fruit, as well as biscuits and gravy. The food wasn't outstanding, but for convenience and inclusion in the price, it was good.

I slept well, the hotel was walking distance to where we had our meeting the next day, and the hotel shuttle gave us a lift to our offices a little more than a mile away. It didn't have anything "extra," but it delivered what we needed for $120 a night.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Our first stay in a Hyatt Place and we were left wanting. Specifically, a shower.

The rooms in this place look kinda flashy at first glance. Big TV. Modern decor. Nice Couch. Spacious area. But when you take a closer look things turn ugly.

The bathroom was so tiny it is was laughable. I mean, you couldn't close the door while on the toilet. Seriously. I don't know where one would be expected to go after a shower -- NOT that I was interested in taking a shower in this disgusting bathroom. Dirt caked into the corners of the floors, old stained tub, walls with disturbing spots. You'd think a room so small would be easier to keep clean...

When I grabbed a glass to get some water, it was covered in a thick layer of dust. The beds looked clean and we got a good night's sleep (granted, we'd drove 12 hours the day before).
The free breakfast was okay, nothing special and fairly crowded. Cereal, fruit, yogurt, toast and the like with some juice selection is all you'll find.

Overall, we found a rundown hotel trying to hide under some new throw pillows and trendy furnishings. And I can't express how disappointing it was to miss out on a hot shower after a long drive...the least a "hotel" can offer it seems.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family